• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The style of Joeys play is entirely predictable and has not evolved in line with how elite level rugby is played. What do I mean by that? Not a box kick in sight. Trying to run the ball from your own 22 and turning over the pill. Winning the ball at a quick breakdown and then throwing 2 man cutout passes to the wing when you have an overlap, enabling the Shore D to ignore the inside players and bundle the winger into touch. Forwards throwing low percentage offloads in tackles inside Shores 22 and turning it over. No effective 50/22 strategy. Joeys are tenacious and spirited and have some strong individual talent but collectively have not achieved as a collective.
I have to agree with you here @brumbiesrugby. It didn't seem like the Joeys kicking game was that planned out, while Bassingthwaighte and Binnie had their plans laid out pretty simple. I don't like or understand the Joeys gameplan of playing off 9 when they have probably the best distributor and Field Marshal in Fowler, and as well he is a phenomenal in play kicker. Letting Palmisani do most of the clearances really makes no sense to me. Furthermore, the attacking structure is old, and they relied FAR to heavily on Taumopeau for them to get over the gain line. He must've had over 15 carries, and while he is brilliant, he can only do so much. Also, they need to work on their maul defence. Shore's maul is by far the best in the comp, and they have the best jumper in Greer, so they should look into disruption as a way of stopping the rolling maul.

Hopefully they review their structure and kicking game into the next year because it was too easy for Bassingthwaighte and Binnie to keep pinning them down in their own territory.

twister29

Stan Wickham (3)
TOTW W9

1. Tancred (I)
2. Warner (E)
3. Bloomfield (K)
4. Newman (S)
5. Graham (I)
6. Cleverly (N)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Taumopeau (J)
9. Patterson (S)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Francis (E)
12. Large (S)
13. Naito (K)
14. Troy (J)
15. Risati (K)
Great to see some young talent in the 10 and 11 year groups standing out across the opens games over the weekend.

The likes of Charlie Francis (E) proving to be crucial to shore’s win on Saturday. While sneaking a few tries but remaining relatively quiet for most of the season, the ‘Forbes Ferrari’ was definitely on my Mt Rushmore of the Blue and White on the weekend.

4.Francis
3.Harvison
2.Bassingthwaighte
1.Le Maître (King)
(HM; Clout, Callaghan)

Mungo1866

Peter Burge (5)
Have a cry about it. How does it feel to lose the premiership to a school that hasn’t won in 60 years. Your just mad that your supposed to be the best rugby school in australia and that’s now changed. Keep sobbing in your room and firing shots behind a computer screen but you’re never gonna do anything about it!!! Shore>Joeys keep crying
Fantastic and well thought out response although I suspect the reports of Joeys demise as Australia’s premier rugby school are greatly exaggerated.
Yesterday only 2 games were lost to Shore - the 1sts and the 13F, (either they or their opposition need to be swabbed given the other results), in the 16 age group there were 7 points scored by Shore in total. I think the future is still positive at Hunters Hill although maybe some rejuvenation of tactics and style may be due.
still if it wasn’t for not taking too fairly kickable penalties against Kings and Scots we wouldn’t be having the discussion as the premiership would have been secured 2 weeks ago.

RuthlessRucker303

Bob McCowan (2)
TOTW W9

1. Tancred (I)
2. Warner (E)
3. Bloomfield (K)
4. Newman (S)
5. Graham (I)
6. Cleverly (N)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Taumopeau (J)
9. Patterson (S)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Francis (E)
12. Large (S)
13. Naito (K)
14. Troy (J)
15. Risati (K)
Can you have a number 7 from that round and put him down as 6? If so, I would definitely put Lucas Arnautovic in that team. He was outstanding all game and was definitely one of the better players for Joeys yesterday.

Hardyardmenrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Apologises again.
had myself a visit to RNSH....Maheed great uber driver
home now. doing tips tomorrow
Before I sleep I wish to say...

View attachment 20245
Disappointing, but all the while necessary. It would’ve sat well with me knowing the master in charge of our beloved G&G community was present to witness the sheer glimmer that filled the air of Northbridge as the gladiators of North Sydney finally got their hands on the most coveted piece of silverware known to School boy sport. A monumental shield that has spent far too long locked away in the underground chambers of hunters hill, parramatta, Stan more terminal 3 Etc….. Glad to hear you however were fortunate enough to sink your teeth into our home grown delicacy 3.14159’s. Congratulations to the men of Shore and respect to the Joeboars who stood humble in defeat and now look to conclude their season with a FIGHT out at Leichhardt (For #!#* sake Riverview just install a fence)

- With much joy I send my regards and prayers for an efficient recovery
HYMR

Rudderless

Phil Hardcastle (33)
3rd XV Round 6 Report
What a day it was today in the 3rd XV competition with only two teams now having any chance to win the premiership and no possibility of it being shared. Grammar had the expected win over High and remain on top of the table. Then Shore upset Scots to move a point ahead of them on the table and remain a single point behind Grammar. Only Grammar or Shore can now win the premiership since they play each other next week. Scots are done for the year and will be polishing the Col Windon Shield to hand back. Joeys and Riverview both had good wins but cannot catch the leaders in the final round. Shore v Grammar next week becomes the 3rd XV Match of the Year - winner takes all.

If Grammar beat Shore next week, they win the competition by at least two points.
If Grammar draw with Shore next week, they win the competition by a point.
If Shore beat Grammar next week, they win the competition by a point.

Competition Table after Round 6
Grammar 10
Shore 9
Joeys 8
Scots 8
Riverview 7
Kings 4
TAS 2
High 0

Shore 15 d Scots 14
What a result at Bellevue Hill in the match of the round! It keeps Shore alive in the premiership and ends any chance Scots had to retain the Col WIndon Shield. Even if Scots beat TAS next week, the most they can get to is 10 points and that will not be enough. Shore have completed half the battle - beat Scots then beat Grammar to win the premiership. Well done to them. They now face Grammar at Northbridge for the title.

Grammar 57 d High 0
An easy win as expected, and Grammar are now in pole position to claim the premiership next week with a win over Shore. Grammar have played brilliantly since their single loss and can be the outright premiers with a win or draw next week. High host Kings for their final match in what has been a very challenging season.

Joeys 35 d TAS 3
Joeys had no trouble in Armidale defeating TAS on Backfield. The win moves Joeys into equal 3rd with Scots, but just short of a chance to claim the premiership. Even if Joeys beat Riverview next week in their final match, the best they can finish is equal second. TAS have had a challenging season as well and they host Scots in Armidale for their final match.

Riverview 15 d Kings 0
I did predict this result, as I think Riverview have been thereabouts for the last few weeks and Kings did not show much against Joeys last week at Hunters Hill. So Riverview v Joeys will be a great match in the final round, even though neither of them can win the premiership this year. Kings are highly likely to finish the season with a victory though, as they play High at McKay Oval.

What a day it will be next Saturday. I think I will be popping down to Northbridge to see if Shore can win their first official 3rd XV premiership since 1951 or whether Grammar can claim the shield that they last won in 2020. Should be a cracker.

INP.
Always informative and well researched INP.

It would be great to get both team lists from Grammar and Shore (nearing the end of the week) as 1st on the table battles it out with 2nd for this most coveted 3rds Premiership.

Last edited:

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
3rd XV Round 6 Report
What a day it was today in the 3rd XV competition with only two teams now having any chance to win the premiership and no possibility of it being shared. Grammar had the expected win over High and remain on top of the table. Then Shore upset Scots to move a point ahead of them on the table and remain a single point behind Grammar. Only Grammar or Shore can now win the premiership since they play each other next week. Scots are done for the year and will be polishing the Col Windon Shield to hand back. Joeys and Riverview both had good wins but cannot catch the leaders in the final round. Shore v Grammar next week becomes the 3rd XV Match of the Year - winner takes all.

If Grammar beat Shore next week, they win the competition by at least two points.
If Grammar draw with Shore next week, they win the competition by a point.
If Shore beat Grammar next week, they win the competition by a point.

Competition Table after Round 6
Grammar 10
Shore 9
Joeys 8
Scots 8
Riverview 7
Kings 4
TAS 2
High 0

Shore 15 d Scots 14
What a result at Bellevue Hill in the match of the round! It keeps Shore alive in the premiership and ends any chance Scots had to retain the Col WIndon Shield. Even if Scots beat TAS next week, the most they can get to is 10 points and that will not be enough. Shore have completed half the battle - beat Scots then beat Grammar to win the premiership. Well done to them. They now face Grammar at Northbridge for the title.

Grammar 57 d High 0
An easy win as expected, and Grammar are now in pole position to claim the premiership next week with a win over Shore. Grammar have played brilliantly since their single loss and can be the outright premiers with a win or draw next week. High host Kings for their final match in what has been a very challenging season.

Joeys 35 d TAS 3
Joeys had no trouble in Armidale defeating TAS on Backfield. The win moves Joeys into equal 3rd with Scots, but just short of a chance to claim the premiership. Even if Joeys beat Riverview next week in their final match, the best they can finish is equal second. TAS have had a challenging season as well and they host Scots in Armidale for their final match.

Riverview 15 d Kings 0
I did predict this result, as I think Riverview have been thereabouts for the last few weeks and Kings did not show much against Joeys last week at Hunters Hill. So Riverview v Joeys will be a great match in the final round, even though neither of them can win the premiership this year. Kings are highly likely to finish the season with a victory though, as they play High at McKay Oval.

What a day it will be next Saturday. I think I will be popping down to Northbridge to see if Shore can win their first official 3rd XV premiership since 1951 or whether Grammar can claim the shield that they last won in 2020. Should be a cracker.

INP.
AAGPS Rugby is just the gift that keeps on giving. Another winner takes all match. Shore vs Grammar.

I’ll look to have the 3rds team list out by Thursday if not Friday at the very latest. For reference last week it was:

1. Edwards
2. Cambridge
3. Cowdery
4. Sherington
5. Reardon
6. Lotz
7. Cope
8. Yates
9. Beggs (c)
10. Ritchie
11. Kingal-Paia
12. d’Almeida
13. Joyce
14. Mott
15. Shadforth

Mosmanwhale

Bob McCowan (2)
TOTW W9

1. Tancred (I)
2. Warner (E)
3. Bloomfield (K)
4. Newman (S)
5. Graham (I)
6. Cleverly (N)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Taumopeau (J)
9. Patterson (S)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Francis (E)
12. Large (S)
13. Naito (K)
14. Troy (J)
15. Risati (K)
Newman has to be the form 4/5 in the competition at the moment. Can play 4/5/6/7/8, hard over the ball, strong carrier and excellent line out jumper. Had to push past some named players that simply didn't put the work in to eventually make TSC 1's. No bigger motor in the competition.

Joker

Staff member
Final week.
Would love to have them locked in before Saturday morning.

1723421588360.png

are you serious.jpg

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)
With the current standings on the ladder, I wonder how each team is currently positioned compared to what the pre-season predictions were? For me, notwithstanding the Shore performance to date, I really believe that Kings has surprised quite a lot of people especially as they were predicted wooden spooners this year.

rugbyAU

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With the current standings on the ladder, I wonder how each team is currently positioned compared to what the pre-season predictions were? For me, notwithstanding the Shore performance to date, I really believe that Kings has surprised quite a lot of people especially as they were predicted wooden spooners this year.
I'd say Scots and New have underperformed, Riverview have about met expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.