• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
On that note, I attended the SJC vs Shore game at Hunters hill last Thursday and was disappointed to find out that the famous Joeys 'rowers feed' was not on the canteen menu (or maybe I couldn't find it - I checked it multiple times) and I wouldn't be able to get my hands on that peice of gold to warm me up that bitter evening. I ended up getting takeaway as comfort food that evening to make up for that dissapointment at the SJC canteen and to help recover from that nail biting loss. Could someone please remind me what is in the rowers feed or share a photo?
Hi there.

the Rowers is a BBQ item and found at the Rowers BBQ located near the scoreboard. This runs from 9am till the end of the main game. As Thursday was two games plus volunteers were not available it was decided that it was not viable.

Same goes with the canteen. Again staffed by volunteers and running all day it was decided to just open with limited lines to purchase. Normally they have a full range of pies and sausage rolls. Good quality as well. I would gladly buy you a Rower next full round if you like.

Last edited:

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks Joker. a beautiful story, I can only imagine the tension between the schools. Clearly a good decision by Joeys to offer that support to the view superstar and a silly decision by view not to help out one of their legends.

G'day Syd, for better or worse, it's not an option to have another go at year 12 at Riverview and play sport, so he was welcome to do year 12 again, but at another school. I don't judge the policy one way or the other, it was simply the way it was/is. Good luck to Dennis being in both centenary winning sides..

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good luck to Dennis being in both centenary winning sides..
A great trivia question.

Name the student who played in consecutive GPS winning teams but in two different schools both celebrating centenary celebrations.

I wonder if there was any others? (Leave the centennials out)

Darth Maul

Bob McCowan (2)
Recently looked at the Joeys fixtures for this Saturday and noticed the 4th XV have a bye. Does anyone have any idea why shore isn't matching up, from what ive heard, i thought they had quite good depth this year.

Ballscollector

Herbert Moran (7)
Recently looked at the Joeys fixtures for this Saturday and noticed the 4th XV have a bye. Does anyone have any idea why shore isn't matching up, from what ive heard, i thought they had quite good depth this year.
Shore is playing Scots this weekend, Joeys are scheduled to play View in every game except the 3rds.

Think you've got mixed up a little bit. Joeys 3rds are playing away against Shore 3rds, while the rest of SJC are playing Ignatius at Hunters Hill.

Last edited:

RushingRob

Ward Prentice (10)
At the end of 1980, Denis told his father he wanted to repeat year 12 but wanted to board as well. He needed to knuckle down in his studies. The school was overjoyed that their superstar athlete was going round again. The sticking point was that the family was not happy to pay the boarding levy which was quite steep at the time. They were happy to pay day boy fees but not the boarding. They figured that since Denis had a played an enormous part in the centennial success the school would cut the family some slack. A stalemate began. It was during this time Denis’ eyes turned to the west and in the distance, he could see an answer. Joeys.

Denis and family spoke with the Joeys headmaster Br. Geoffrey Joy about a possible enrolment. Joeys had heard about the sticking point on boarding fees and told the Facer parents Denis could stay at Joeys for the same price as a day boy from View. The sweetener for the Facer family was that Joeys was not asking extra for boarding. So, in late January 1981 Denis arrived at Hunters Hill and unpacked his bags in his new boarding room in year 12. To say fellow classmates were gob smacked would be an understatement. Here was the Riverview golden boy in 1980 now outfitted in cerise and blue. His worth was immediate with Joeys winning their first ever basketball title. Mind you Joeys were also lucky to have a 200cm student start in year 10 as well. You could feel the sense of hope he bought with him for the rugby season.
Quick question for @Joker or anyone who knows, how would Denis (or anyone who matches this scenario) be allowed to repeat year 12 and continue to play GPS sport? Wouldn't he be turning 19 the second year? The only way that would allow this would be that he was a year young, and turned 17 in 1980, and 18 in 1981. But if he was 18 in '80 and 19 in '81, how was he allowed to play?

I may be wrong, maybe this is allowed, but I always thought if you want to repeat yr 12, you can't play school sport the second year as you are too old.

Wavesfooty2

Allen Oxlade (6)
If any are wondering here is the 2023 AAGPS XV:

1st XV
1. Nick Ashdown (K)
2. Lipina Ata (N)
3. Edwin Langi (K)
4. Jacob Veiru (N)
5. Toby Brial (S)
6. Luca Cleverley (N)
7. Austin Durbidge (K)
8. Liam Sullivan (I)
9. Hwi Sharples (J) (Capt)
10. Joe Dillon (I)
11. Hadley Tonga (K)
12. Boston Fakafanua (K)
13. Liam Grover (I)
14. Casey McLean (N)
15. Leo Jacques (S)

2nd XV

1. Hamish Grover (I)
2. Bailey Park (K)
3. Nate Tiitii (K)
4. James McCreery (E)
5. Fred Kearney (A)
6. Patrick Young (J)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (E)
8. Joshua Va’alotu (N) (Capt)
9. Hugo Orpin (E)
10. Henry James (S)
11. Tallis McEwen (N)
12. Tyrese Lokeni (K)
13. Matteo Cleverley (N)
14. Aidan Gow (S)
15. Tom Klem (E)

20. Benji Noble (I)

Thoughts on who are some possible captains this year? Some names that come into mind are Dempsey, Fonua, Rodwell or Logan.

Also has a Year 11 captained an AAGPS XV team?

- Cheeky
What school did
5. Fred Kearney (A) go to

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Quick question for @Joker or anyone who knows, how would Denis (or anyone who matches this scenario) be allowed to repeat year 12 and continue to play GPS sport? Wouldn't he be turning 19 the second year? The only way that would allow this would be that he was a year young, and turned 17 in 1980, and 18 in 1981. But if he was 18 in '80 and 19 in '81, how was he allowed to play?

I may be wrong, maybe this is allowed, but I always thought if you want to repeat yr 12, you can't play school sport the second year as you are too old.
I recall the rule was slightly different back then. You could not turn 19 before the first rugby game of the season (or something like that, I think).

Jockey181

Banned
Anyone else appreciate these two people who have producing quality footy video?

Darcy Finlay and Tom Gav, I enjoy seeing some of their posts on Instagram, hats off to the blokes for filming the games.

- Cheeky
Tom Kennedy goes unrecognised here, created the shore 2022 end of season video. Great kid and great photos. Other ones are in the spirt of the game. Darthvaders on me
Jock( short for yes i jockey horses)

KingD

Bob McCowan (2)
If any are wondering here is the 2023 AAGPS XV:

1st XV
1. Nick Ashdown (K)
2. Lipina Ata (N)
3. Edwin Langi (K)
4. Jacob Veiru (N)
5. Toby Brial (S)
6. Luca Cleverley (N)
7. Austin Durbidge (K)
8. Liam Sullivan (I)
9. Hwi Sharples (J) (Capt)
10. Joe Dillon (I)
11. Hadley Tonga (K)
12. Boston Fakafanua (K)
13. Liam Grover (I)
14. Casey McLean (N)
15. Leo Jacques (S)

2nd XV

1. Hamish Grover (I)
2. Bailey Park (K)
3. Nate Tiitii (K)
4. James McCreery (E)
5. Fred Kearney (A)
6. Patrick Young (J)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (E)
8. Joshua Va’alotu (N) (Capt)
9. Hugo Orpin (E)
10. Henry James (S)
11. Tallis McEwen (N)
12. Tyrese Lokeni (K)
13. Matteo Cleverley (N)
14. Aidan Gow (S)
15. Tom Klem (E)

20. Benji Noble (I)

Thoughts on who are some possible captains this year? Some names that come into mind are Dempsey, Fonua, Rodwell or Logan.

Also has a Year 11 captained an AAGPS XV team?

- Cheeky
Teams did get revised from this due to injuries etc.

1718156579357.png

Found this on the CAS website - the GPS vs CAS games will not be like last year, going from the last Tuesday of term to the last Friday of term. Not sure why they would put the game on the Friday considering a lot of players would be travelling home (especially country boarders) as that is the last day of term (for all state schools and likely most independent schools as well)

1718157008814.png

This is from the ISA website - not very specific as to when or where the GPS vs ISA game will be played, but I think I've worked it out (read below).

The CAS vs ISA game is on the 27th at Pittwater according to both sites, in which both CAS 1sts and CAS 2nds would be playing two games that day as well as 1 game each against ISA and 1 each against CCC and CHS. Given that they're making CAS play two games in 1 day, I think that the GPS vs ISA game will be in the morning at Knox on the 28th, and then those games end by 3pm, which the GPS white would start at 3pm like last year. That means that GPS teams (at least the 1st and 2nds) will be playing both ISA and CAS on the same day. That will make for an excellent day of rugby but will be quite exhausting for players.

From what I know of, the GPS teams get announced on Saturday the 22nd after round 6, at 7pm.

Last edited:
Gents,

Something I have often pondered in recent years, is with the year round commitment which playing opens rugby is these days. The multi sport athletes are becoming few and far between... I leave it open to the forum to list some of the best multi sport athletes going around in the GPS at the moment. I believe these athletes deserve real recognition for their immense commitment to their school.

Here are a few I am aware of:
Gus Grover (SIC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket
Will Johnston (TSC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket, Athletics
Luca Cleverly (NC): 1st Rugby, 1st Basketball

Would love to hear some other ones
Cheers, howgood.
I know the Shore school have a couple but cant list many off the top of my head although here are some:

Current
1. Ed Baxter: 1st Waterpolo - 2023 (AAGPS premiership winners), 2024 / 1st Rugby (AAGPS team) - 2023, 2024
2. Anderton Stock: 1st Shore and AAGPS U18 Waterpolo - 2024 / 1st Rugby - 2024
3. Lewis Kingdom: National Champion Skier - 2022, 2023 / 1st Rugby - 2023, 2024
4. Henry Conick: National Champion Skier - 2022, 2023 / 1st Rugby - 2023, 2024
5. Nick Wendt: 1sts basketball 2024 and 1sts rugby (injured during current rugby season) - impressive as a year 10 student

2017 GPS 1sts prop Luke Edwards played 3 years in Shore 1sts basketball and 3 years in Shore 1sts Rugby - quite an athletic family - his younger brother who played 2 years in Shore 1sts basketball (starter for 1sts basketball 2021 championship team) is now number 28 for the Sydney Swans 1sts side in the AFL.

Let me know if I missed any from the Shore point of view

Last edited: