• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Based on the discussions from the Green and Gold Rugby forum, here are the predicted scorelines for this Saturday's AAGPS rugby matches:
  1. Shore v Kings: Shore is generally seen as the stronger team this season, with several users predicting a win for them. Kings, while having potential, are seen as undergoing a rebuilding year with a younger squad. The general consensus is that Shore will come out on top, possibly by a margin of 10-15 points (Green & Gold Rugby) (Green & Gold Rugby).
  2. Joeys v Scots: This match is expected to be quite competitive. Joeys have shown strong performances in the trials, and many forum users predict that they will edge out Scots. The predicted margin for Joeys' victory ranges from 5 to 10 points, reflecting a close and hard-fought game (Green & Gold Rugby) (Green & Gold Rugby).
  3. Riverview v Newington: Riverview is favored to win this match, especially considering their strong showing in the trials and home advantage. Newington, while competitive, is expected to fall short. The predicted margin for Riverview's victory is around 10-12 points (Green & Gold Rugby) (Green & Gold Rugby).
Oh and by the way, ChatGPT predicted 3 from 3 for the tipping last Saturday. Might have to make this a weekly specialty.

TheMaulester

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Couldn't agree more RNC,

I know last year Riverview's successful side (going 7 from 10) had the motto 'built not bought'.
I really think it takes away from the authenticity and fairness of the game.
Maybe it's time the other GPS schools took a leaf out of the Jesuit's book.

Wilty
Is giving excuses for not winning for 13 years also a leaf in the “Jesuits Book“

Backintheolddays

Watty Friend (18)
From all this league Talk ...CIS 2024 U18 side. I am almost certain Large, Lemoto and Makasini have committed to League. They can play the school 1st XV games but cannot be considered at representative level . Does it make sense to invest in training these boys to play Rugby Union positions (let alone occupy positions) knowing that they will not play the code? They are talented boys but they want to play League not union. Anyway my own opinion.
View attachment 19060
This comes up semi regularly. Gen Blue have already excluded contracted players.
I don’t agree with this practice as you are pushing kids away, and they are just kids. If they’re filling a development spot, that’s life. I’d expect most kids on this list to end up in league, regardless of school.

Mosmanwhale

Bob McCowan (2)
I think I would definitely include Phoenix Graham (second row over Ed Baxter) - 1XV at Riverview for two year, Captaining this year, Strong ball carrier and relentless defence.
Possible Johannes Logan from Joeys,
Joeys number 6 has been playing great rugby (not sure of his name),
I think Shore number 15 has been playing very well, with a great step
View number 5 is a good ball carrier and defensive animal so he's up there,
I could see most GPS teams back rows (par maybe Kings) making GPS 1s, so this will be a very tough selection process.
Duddy hasn't even been in the 1XV for scots this year so I cant see him making 1s GPS, possible one of the many young props this season could fill that space?
Some of these picks are very lazy and just based on last years results, a lot of these players have not been at their best this season. Specifically with Scots although they may be the best players in their position, if they arent playing well as a team are we truly able to reward them with such a High spot in GPS 1s?
Just some food for thought, obviously a very tight selection process this year.

Cheers

AG
Duddy played his first game back from injury on the weekend. Played the first halve of 2's. Was in the gold jumper to come on off the bench for the 1's however they put the other 2nds prop on. You would assume it's a return to play criteria for a returning prop. The boy can prop, he looked to have more carries than he normally would. Assume that is his feedback, more work to be done when not in set piece.
Looking forward to this weekend's games, not a given amongst them.

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
It was loud and clear on the streaming. Mics though were hung over the Scots supporters end. Southern side. They picked it up clearly. I did think it might have been old boys though. In my years at Scots I never recall a time when the students did. Old boys on the hill used to including revving up a motorcycle on occasions. (2018)
I can remember a day approx. 1996 when a chainsaw got brought out on the back of a scots old boy ute up on the road. You have to laugh.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Joeys + 10
View + 7
Shore +10

Have to comment on your mention of the 2004 Joeys 2nd XV Halfback getting called up all the way to Aus Schools that year if I remember correctly. Caused a lot of issues north of the border which I can understand as the player they overlooked was a yr 11 Will Genia... Two years later he's the 9 for the Junior World Cup winning side with none of the other 9s in sight.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Joeys + 10
View + 7
Shore +10

Have to comment on your mention of the 2004 Joeys 2nd XV Halfback getting called up all the way to Aus Schools that year if I remember correctly. Caused a lot of issues north of the border which I can understand as the player they overlooked was a yr 11 Will Genia... Two years later he's the 9 for the Junior World Cup winning side with none of the other 9s in sight.
The 1st XV obsession and under age rep stuff is important and at the same time a major distraction. The number of U18 Aussie Schools players that develop into full blown internationals is low. Watching a lot of schools footy and being really analytical you realise that often the most skilful players, the best game managers etc are sometimes in 2’s, perhaps they’re behind a more physically developed player, perhaps the coach is looking for certain things or has a bias, maybe injuries are a factor. Point is, mindset and application beyond the cloistered walls of the 1st XV Private school bubble is the major factor. Some players peak at 17, others are just getting started.

Last edited:

Morgan Freeman

Stan Wickham (3)
Newington are playing down this weekend against Shore in all 13s-16s from Bs - eg., NC B's v Shore C's, etc. Opens playing down from 3rds (NC 3rds v Shore 4ths, etc.) NC sport/rugby officials Dickens and Fear allegedly asked for a 14A bye. Rugby programme is shot, but this has been coming for some time. DoR on his way up north-west and co-ed on its way in. No light at the end of the tunnel... NC Football teams have 6 more games against Shore than Rugby.
That program needs an overhaul ASAP. New MIC, the lot. Shore style.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
The 1st XV obsession and under age rep stuff is important and at the same time a major distraction. The number of U18 Aussie Schools players that develop into full blown internationals is low. Watching a lot of schools footy and being really analytical you realise that often the most skilful players, the best game managers etc are sometimes in 2’s, perhaps they’re behind a more physically developed player, perhaps the coach is looking for certain things or has a bias. Point is, mindset and application beyond the cloistered walls of the 1st XV Private school bubble is the major factor. Some players peak at 17, others are just getting started.
Australia's rate of Wallabies from Schools rep is very high compared to most nations. Probably attributed to our small player base more than anything.

Will Genia was also at Brisbane Boys College and playing 1st XV footy so not a late bloomer. Playing for the Reds by 2009 would tell me he was pretty good and I find it personally hard to believe Joeys had two 9s better. Having said that, what year isn't there controversy around Schools rep sides. We live in a massive country and don't get to see cross state School v School games enough. This is just one of those did you know situations.

KingD

Bob McCowan (2)
That is gutsy as, Just watched the tackle, he gets back up and makes another impact tackle with the dislocated shoulder. crazy toughness get him in origin next wednesday
No doubt very tough, but did he actually dislocate it? Don’t know if you can put both hands on your head with a dislocated shoulder? Looks more like a stinger (and a legendary story!).
Still very brave!

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can remember a day approx. 1996 when a chainsaw got brought out on the back of a scots old boy ute up on the road. You have to laugh.
I remember that. Too funny. One sad one I recall was when Joeys won on the bell in 92 at the ‘Star. As the Joeys kicker was walking in to kick a Scots old boy from a very crowded hill yelled out “Joeys fag@&t” to a totally silent crowd. Kicker nailed it and the great revenge match for Scots saw them beaten at the death..,..again.

I miss the hill. With the drunken old boys providing colorful and very funny commentary those who were perched on the slope enjoyed great entertainment. Sad to see it taken away by whatever is there now.

WEEKLY CHATGPT TIPS

Based on the discussions and predictions from the Green and Gold Forum, here are the anticipated scorelines for the AAGPS rugby matches this Saturday:

1. Shore v Newington: Shore is currently seen as the top contender, with a strong team showing significant potential. Newington is also highly rated, but Shore is expected to edge out a win. Predicted scoreline: Shore 28 - Newington 22.
  2. Kings v Joeys: Kings have been struggling this season and are not expected to perform strongly against Joeys, who have shown good form in recent trials. Predicted scoreline: Joeys 35 - Kings 18.
  3. Scots v Riverview: Scots have been dealing with injuries and inconsistent performances, but Riverview is also seen as a weaker side this year. Scots are favored to win, but it might be a close game. Predicted scoreline: Scots 24 - Riverview 17( Green & Gold Rugby) (Green & Gold Rugby)
TheMaulester/Chatgpt

Last edited:

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
WEEKLY CHATGPT TIPS

Based on the discussions and predictions from the Green and Gold Forum, here are the anticipated scorelines for the AAGPS rugby matches this Saturday:

1. Shore v Newington: Shore is currently seen as the top contender, with a strong team showing significant potential. Newington is also highly rated, but Shore is expected to edge out a win. Predicted scoreline: Shore 28 - Newington 22.
  2. Kings v Joeys: Kings have been struggling this season and are not expected to perform strongly against Joeys, who have shown good form in recent trials. Predicted scoreline: Joeys 35 - Kings 18.
  3. Scots v Riverview: Scots have been dealing with injuries and inconsistent performances, but Riverview is also seen as a weaker side this year. Scots are favored to win, but it might be a close game. Predicted scoreline: Scots 24 - Riverview 1( Green & Gold Rugby) (Green & Gold Rugby)
TheMaulester/Chatgpt
It will be quite a sight to see Riverview somehow score just 1 point

NotAlwaysCorrectAdam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why are Kings entering their 9ths in the 3rds comp. Reverse stacking? I wouldn’t put anything past Kings.
This is will be a masterclass of a game. King's 9ths have nothing to lose wheres Grammar 3rds have almost everything on the line. Would be a fun game to watch, with the Kings' 9ths embracing their underdog status and playing with a sense of freedom.
Cheers

From all this league Talk ...CIS 2024 U18 side. I am almost certain Large, Lemoto and Makasini have committed to League. They can play the school 1st XV games but cannot be considered at representative level . Does it make sense to invest in training these boys to play Rugby Union positions (let alone occupy positions) knowing that they will not play the code? They are talented boys but they want to play League not union. Anyway my own opinion.
@The Cleaner I think that more rugby the better in simple terms. If these 3 young men alongside many others e.g. Isayia Katoa barker to the Dolphins and tearing it up as well. We are all about player development and if the schools further develop players they turn into better players all together. I think we have seen so many players transition from league to union and vice versa that the development of players on both sides of the equation that in turn this will help the players develop as humans more than anything although some people say that it doesn't make sense.
Best of luck to everyone this weekend.
I shall be at Stirling Bridge tucking into a meat pie watching the fellas.
Regards,

The Maulester