• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Frank Row (1)
That was certainly an interesting boat race and thanks for the video link Joker.
After looking closely at the video, my impression was different to yours. If you watch closely, I don’t think the Kings Cox splashed water at the other boat. The spray seemed to come from oars, perhaps the competing boats clashing together. The Cox was certainly waving at the other boat to move away.
It also seems as if the Shore oar hits the Kings Cox (indicating just how close the two crews were) in the body and he uses his hand to get the oar off him. I don’t think he ever reached out to grab the oar.
I’m unsure if one crew or the other had encroached heavily into the others path. A drone shot would be good to see what happened in that regard.
It is a pity to see the race end in controversy. I have great respect for the work and sacrifice the boys put in, from all the schools.

For full disclosure, I was supporting the Kings boys, but didn’t have a horse in the race. My boys race junior quads.

Last edited:

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
That was certainly an interesting boat race and thanks for the video link Joker.
After looking closely at the video, my impression was different to yours. If you watch closely, I don’t think the Kings Cox splashed water at the other boat. The spray seemed to come from oars, perhaps the competing boats clashing together. The Cox was certainly waving at the other boat to move away.
It also seems as if the Shore oar hits the Kings Cox (indicating just how close the two crews were) in the body and he uses his hand to get the oar off him. I don’t think he ever reached out to grab the oar.
I’m unsure if one crew or the other had encroached heavily into the others path. A drone shot would be good to see what happened in that regard.
It is a pity to see the race end in controversy. I have great respect for the work and sacrifice the boys put in, from all the schools.

For full disclosure, I was supporting the Kings boys, but didn’t have a horse in the race. My boys race junior quads.
My son has slightly closer footage from a Shore parent where the grabbing appears more pronounced. But I agree, I am not 100% sure contact was made.

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)

Club & School Regatta Races
The boats are aligned from the side of the course by the starter who gives instructions over a loud speaker to either touch (take small strokes) the boat forward or to back down. The starter when satisfied that crews are on the line gives the command which is followed by a horn blast which is the starting signal. A false start is indicated by the Umpire waving a red flag and the crews are then recalled to the start.
The jurisdiction of the Umpire (who supervises the race from a speedboat) extends from the time the crews are assembling at the start until the coxswain's weight (if applicable) has been checked at the finish. All directives of the Umpire must be obeyed and failure to do so can lead to disqualification and other disciplinary sanctions being imposed.

At the finish as each crew crosses the line a horn is sounded and the finishing order and margins are recorded by the Judges.
All crews and scullers must carry approved lane numbers fitted to the bows of their boats.

The Referee together with the Jury (all other Boat Race Officials) are responsible for receiving, hearing and adjudicating on any protest, appeal or unforeseen matter in accordance with the Laws of Boat Racing.

The protest from Shore was dismissed.

On a different note....

Podium results from the 11 races

St Ignatius 11
Kings 11
Shore 10
St Joseph's 1

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Firstly I am a Kings rowing parent.firstly the race was heavily monitored by rowing NSW with officials in the boats. If you watch the footage you will see the shore boat continually warned by the trailing official. Secondly the shore oars actually struck the kings cox and he required treatment for the injury. Yes he grabbed the oar but it is only reasonable that when you are getting hit with a oar you would be well within you rights to stop it. And finally the officials review ALL the footage (drone footage not connected to clutch) and made the decision.
The finish line was defined by 2 spherical orange buoys, between which the 8 lanes are theoretically evenly spaced. It is the responsibility of the umpire in the official boat to ensure each crew stays in their respective lane.

There was a strong crosswind that made it difficult for crews to maintain their line, but the umpire clearly failed to ensure a fair race. Kings were in Lane 3, upwind of Shore in Lane 4, and the Kings cox was clearly in the wrong in pushing across Shore's line, in ridiculous umpiring circumstances. The effect was that 6 crews actually finished OFF the course - Kings actually ran into the orange buoy that delineates the right hand side of the course at the finish. There was an official protest - the first in over 100 years of Head of the River - which was dismissed on the basis that it didn't affect the outcome. Go figure.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The finish line was defined by 2 spherical orange buoys, between which the 8 lanes are theoretically evenly spaced. It is the responsibility of the umpire in the official boat to ensure each crew stays in their respective lane.

There was a strong crosswind that made it difficult for crews to maintain their line, but the umpire clearly failed to ensure a fair race. Kings were in Lane 3, upwind of Shore in Lane 4, and the Kings cox was clearly in the wrong in pushing across Shore's line, in ridiculous umpiring circumstances. The effect was that 6 crews actually finished OFF the course - Kings actually ran into the orange buoy that delineates the right hand side of the course at the finish. There was an official protest - the first in over 100 years of Head of the River - which was dismissed on the basis that it didn't affect the outcome. Go figure.
Kings had been pretty dominate and probably the pre-race favourites so the result was not surprising. However, what does suspended disbelief look like? When a boat starts in lane 2 and finishes wide of lane 7, cutting across the majority of the field in the process, but they didn't have any impact on the race.

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
This was indeed a fascinating day of rowing. From the drone footage it was obvious that a number of crews got out of their lanes during the races. But open water rowing with a strong cross wind is a very different proposition to SIRC! Reminded me a bit of the years when the Head of the River was held on the Nepean River and we used to cheer from the river banks watching Lane 8 crews trying to row through the reeds!

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
Reminded me a bit of the years when the Head of the River was held on the Nepean River and we used to cheer from the river banks watching Lane 8 crews trying to row through the reeds!
There was a time when the river worked in your favour. Nothing like a strong current to hold back the centre while you on the outside scooted along.

Brad Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
The Joeys group smashed Scots in the trial last year, I have watched the match each year since the 13's, I don't think Scots were missing many players although they did lose a few to the older age group the year before, not nearly enough to explain the turn around from 70 odd points in the 13's trial though. To be entirely fair, the Joeys 13's had a few issues to deal with in that trial and by the time of the comp game vs Scots in the last round they had narrowed the gap a lot (still were well beaten but it wasn't quite so bad).
Joeys 15A from 2021 had improved out of sight, the Scots team were without I think like 6-7 players because of Glengarry which is n ongoing issue for school sport at Scots. In the end I think if my memory is correct in the starting team Finnlay Bartlett who plays Gen Blue and is at Harold Matts at Manly Sea Eagles and I was told Manly have signed him he went off after 7-10 minutes in the Joeys 15A game. So in the end around 8 players were missing.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
Joeys 15A from 2021 had improved out of sight, the Scots team were without I think like 6-7 players because of Glengarry which is n ongoing issue for school sport at Scots. In the end I think if my memory is correct in the starting team Finnlay Bartlett who plays Gen Blue and is at Harold Matts at Manly Sea Eagles and I was told Manly have signed him he went off after 7-10 minutes in the Joeys 15A game. So in the end around 8 players were missing.
I wouldn't really call Glengarry and issue for sport. I can assure you no one at Scots cares if the 14s & 15s aren't at full strength. In some years they have tried to get the possible As in the first intake but as we know some boys development happens at that stage and the 16As looks different

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
There was a time when the river worked in your favour. Nothing like a strong current to hold back the centre while you on the outside scooted along.
Watching the race on the weekend live and rewatching the other day, the king's Cox was smart getting in front and pushing to the right with "crosswinds". With no lane markers and the official no policing the course as well as I would of thought it's no surprise. In terms of the crosswind note the Scots VIII steered a straight course

Last edited:

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
Watching the race on the weekend live and rewatching the other day, the king's Cox was smart getting in front and pushing to the right with "crosswinds". With no lane markers and the official no policing the course as well as I would of thought it's no surprise. In term of the crosswind note the Scots VIII steard a straight course
Saw it again as well from above. It seems that crosswind only appeared in the 1st VIII race as most other races had no such issue. A Kings coach who I know claims the Shore boat was moving towards them and the bow oarsman cut the cox ear with his oar. The view from above shows Kings moving across and not making any attempt to correct their course. Back to SIRC in 2023.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
Saw it again as well from above. It seems that crosswind only appeared in the 1st VIII race as most other races had no such issue. A Kings coach who I know claims the Shore boat was moving towards them and the bow oarsman cut the cox ear with his oar. The view from above shows Kings moving across and not making any attempt to correct their course. Back to SIRC in 2023.
Couldn't agree more with you Joker. Will be good to get back out to SIRC with crowds. I even will enjoy going to a rugby game at that unkept field at Joey's. I am guessing with no rugby last year there will be some surprises with the final standings

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
News from Joeys is that this year they will only have 39 rugby teams.
While Football is still capped (11 teams) there are other options like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Surf lifesaving taking lads away.
How many RUGBY/ FOOTBALL teams are other schools hoping to field this year?

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
While Football is still capped (11 teams) there are other options like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Surf lifesaving taking lads away.
Does Joey's know surf lifesaving is a summer sport? Been at Scots for years

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
I can’t say how many teams Rugby / Football Newington will field this year however last Weekend I was talking one of the Year 12 Dads and he mentioned that at least 10 boys that he was aware of has deflected to either AFL or have left school rugby to play Club Colts rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.