• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand vs Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whilst we're discussing afternoon games in this thread, when is the last time NZ had an afternoon test?

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Whilst we're discussing afternoon games in this thread, when is the last time NZ had an afternoon test?

Can't even remember. Had a few dusk games, starting at about 5.30pm local time. I vaguely recall games against Scotland and Australia during the day at Carisbrook in the early naughties. We played Scotland in white and used that hideous fluoro yellow adidas ball against Australia, with Matt Burke being his usual "winning the game" annoying self.

I think whenever we play England at Twickenham the first half is light.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
I predict our dominant scrum will be blown off the pitch by L'idiot and SOB will be yellow carded. Ridiculous that a ref can render a game a non event before it even starts but we know that we have not got a chance with Poite in charge.

I think it a bit ridiculous to whinge about a referee before the game even started:p . And the scrum dominance only came when Ben Franks came on for his brother, Ben is no good at tighthead. ABs won one against the feed before that.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think it a bit ridiculous to whinge about a referee before the game even started:p . And the scrum dominance only came when Ben Franks came on for his brother, Ben is no good at tighthead. ABs won one against the feed before that.
You don't have to put up with as much of Poite as we do in the northern hemisphere. Actually my tongue was in my cheek because as I posted above, Clouseau hates to be seen as a hometown ref and our familiarity with his eccentricities could just as easily be an advantage; I do have an issue with Poite in that I think his running of a game is dangerous but I won't be blaming him for the result on saturday I can guarantee you that. Of course the NZ scrum dicked the Irish scrum until Ben franks came on, how could an Irish team ever demonstrate any superiority over the master race, how stupid of me.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wasn't just Ben Franks. We had 3 loose forwards bobbing their heads up, Woodcock who was struggling in the final quarter, and a locking combination of Whitelock and Williams that has never been the right combo. Ireland made us pay.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Heaslip fair enough but Ferris, even with only one working knee is the most destructive back row forward in the NH, ask Will Genia about him. The man is a fecking wrecking ball, God only knows how good he would be if he had not been ruined playing for the fucking Lions, the man cannot even train properly anymore.
Fair enough Paddy, I wasn't suggesting they weren't good, just I hadn't seen them dominate, especially Heaslip, against other loose forward combos, I will try to keep an eye on Ferris in future.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
No-one, so far as I've seen on the thread - has mentioned that with the game tied, 19-all, NZ down to 14, and the Paddies still had nothing. And choked.

Looking forward to normal service resuming tonight at Waikato Stadium.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No-one, so far as I've seen on the thread - has mentioned that with the game tied, 19-all, NZ down to 14, and the Paddies still had nothing. And choked.

Looking forward to normal service resuming tonight at Waikato Stadium.

I have said to a few friends this week that I thought that the Irish never looked like they were going to break out. On the other hand, I felt that a couple of passes that didn't quite go to hand probably stopped a couple of AB tries.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. The stats don't lie, NZ were marginally the better side. All I've heard all week from the press is that Ireland could have,should have won. In truth they almost secured a draw. But not to knock them I admired their tenacity they certainly gave it everything although as Bullrush commented they never looked like they were going to break out. Still they get another chance today and I for one won't cry in my beer if they pull off a win.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really nervous now that kick off is so close. Can't shake the feeling of dread that we're going to get a real thumping. How that feeling is wrong and we at least make it a contest for the full 80. At the very least expect NZ to be much improved from last week.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That young lady sang the Irish Song at anthems time very well. It is quite a challenging song.

Still don't get the Americanism of hand over the heart at Anthems time. If you are proud and patriotic, then sing your anthem with all you've got. Leave the American displays to the Septics.

We do not expect the Septics to do a Haka do we?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well work try by NZ, thought the ball went forward a couple of times during the move, but they were marginal. Ireland need to hit back quickly or it's Test 1 all over again.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I take absolutely no pleasure in having predicted a battering for my team. It really does hurt to see how this game is going. But the side selected was just asking to run over. Paddy Wallace has been a great servant to Ireland but he can't tackle to save his life. The only way he can take someone down is by going low which permits the offload as for SBWs 1st try. Declan Kidney is showing the same inability to learn from the past that cost Eddie O'Sullivan his job.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd still say that overall Carter is a better rugby player, but in attack I think Cruden potentially offers more. He is rapidly raising his stocks as the best All Black 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.