• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Even if they pay nothing for it, it is good for the game to get more local rugby onto Fox.

Remember, huge swathes of the nation get no rugby at all on FTA for many months of the year. (Apart from SS replays at 0230 on Tuesday mornings)!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How do you get a South African to play for you if your not paying your players?

Qantas is a brand that is looking for some help at the moment as well.

IMO the NRC should be about clubs working "together" for the good of rugby. This post is not to detract from the hard work Randwick does as a club.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
The one thing detrimental about this thread/competition is the lack of enthusiasm shown by Sydneyites for the upcoming Shute Shield/ SS Colts seasons.

I say this only by looking at previous years threads where numbers of replies in the SS/Colts comp compared to Premier/Colts comp outnumbered (just like the population) NSW to QLD.

But this season there's been a bucking the trend, Where judging by poster replies in the equivalent threads that the QLD Rugby thread is dominating in popularity by post counts... Maybe us QLDERS are just bigger rumour mongerers.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The one thing detrimental about this thread/competition is the lack of enthusiasm shown by Sydneyites for the upcoming Shute Shield/ SS Colts seasons.

I say this only by looking at previous years threads where numbers of replies in the SS/Colts comp compared to Premier/Colts comp outnumbered (just like the population) NSW to QLD.

But this season there's been a bucking the trend, Where judging by poster replies in the equivalent threads that the QLD Rugby thread is dominating in popularity by post counts. Maybe us QLDERS are just bigger rumour mongerers.

I'd say a number of people follow the colts and the colts thread, however they played colts so long ago and / or their kids may still be in Juniors.

Wouldn't it be good going to watch 2 NRC games, U20s and then Grade.
Great because the players get increased rep exposure.
Great for the Super Teams as they are developing EPS.
Great for the spectators, twice as many reasons to go and watch.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I'd say a number of people follow the colts and the colts thread, however they played colts so long ago and / or their kids may still be in Juniors.

Wouldn't it be good going to watch 2 NRC games, U20s and then Grade.
Great because the players get increased rep exposure.
Great for the Super Teams as they are developing EPS.
Great for the spectators, twice as many reasons to go and watch.

I also hope that they offer curtain raisers for this NRC comp.

I'd like to see perhaps tomorrows tomorrows players & beyond.

If the National 3rd Tier had say a Regional U16 reps game or a big schoolboy rivalry match before Ballymore Bandidos vs Canberra Vykings.. I'm sure big majority of the rugby public would try & get their earlier beforehand & in affect you'd get parents of those schoolboys hanging around to watch tomorrows future wallabies hit it out.

I know there's probably going to be a gate fee to go watch some of these games.. So lets just let any kid in a school uniform in for free!!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I also hope that they offer curtain raisers for this NRC comp.

I'd like to see perhaps tomorrows tomorrows players & beyond.

If the National 3rd Tier had say a Regional U16 reps game or a big schoolboy rivalry match before Ballymore Bandidos vs Canberra Vykings.. I'm sure big majority of the rugby public would try & get their earlier beforehand & in affect you'd get parents of those schoolboys hanging around to watch tomorrows future wallabies hit it out.

I know there's probably going to be a gate fee to go watch some of these games.. So lets just let any kid in a school uniform in for free!!!

I'd like to see kid with paying parent free.
I think grounds are important ad well, I'll explain.
Take an U10 to SUNCORP / Allianz - they get a seat and after 1 game they'd get board.
Take an U10 to a league game, and you watch the kids safety not the game.

Having a ground were the kids have grass to run and kick with there mates will have them wanting more - planting the seed.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think you'd need to wait for establishment before you could establish u16's comps and more extensions on this new regional rep pathway basically. But they will come in time. Also certain regional entities that already exist in the juniors system are rebranding in line with these professional squads to show the commitment to the regions..

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Wow that's a very sweeping statement.. But I lol'ed
Board may be the wrong word, (@u7s) dad I want a drink, dad I want a pie, dad I want to go to the toilet, and repeat. Where as at club rugby each weekend for some strange reason these don't reoccur as frequently and I get how many sleeps until next week.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
A final thought on the player development issue before I STFU:

Assuming the Reds squad minus Wallabies is split more or less 50/50 between Brisbane & QC (Quade Cooper)-GC, that leaves each of them roughly 15 - 20 short of a roster. Yes, GC has a club in QPR but there are 4 between the Brisbane & Albert rivers.

Don't get me wrong, QC (Quade Cooper)-GC is better than nothing but I still believe it's like trying to grow flowers in a desert when there's a better option going to waste.

I'm sure there's plenty of stock originating from the country playing premier rugby. I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone who with roots outside brissie metro play for the country team and with this lot, I'm confident they'd be competitive.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I read yesterday that Bill Pulver is keen to get S15 on free-to-air. I really hope he's successful as it can only be good for the game, but it may dampen Fox's interest in showing the NRC in the long term as I'm sure they only agreed to do this to try to ward off such a move.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I read yesterday that Bill Pulver is keen to get S15 on free-to-air. I really hope he's successful as it can only be good for the game, but it may dampen Fox's interest in showing the NRC in the long term as I'm sure they only agreed to do this to try to ward off such a move.

A word of warning. Be careful about what you wish for. FTA has a bit of history of not showing some sports live after they get the rights.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I think you'd need to wait for establishment before you could establish u16's comps and more extensions on this new regional rep pathway basically. But they will come in time. Also certain regional entities that already exist in the juniors system are rebranding in line with these professional squads to show the commitment to the regions..

You could actually still cater for the GPS/AIC schoolboy matches before 3rd tier if done correctly because the seasons will run parallel to one another.

All the First XV would jump at a chance to play under lights at Ballymore before the NRC game.

I don't know if there's any equivalent rugby ground in Syndey that could cater a large schoolboy and club rugby crowd.. but 5-10k attendance wouldn't be out of the relm up here in Queensland if you combined a big schoolboy rivalry match along with a NRC match.

Fill the coffers of Ballymore.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

If the teams for the new NRC end up representing clear identifiable regions that would work for junior rugby, then I think it would be SO great for junior rep teams to rebrand themselves in line with an NRC team, which then lead into a Super Rugby team. Having a clear pathway with only help people want to flow along that pathway.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok. There's a bloke on TWF who seems to be suggesting that hte NRC will have 10 teams. Sth Australia have missed out and it appears Easts won't have a dog in this fight according to this poster.

Right here goes according to this guy.

Perth, Canberra (run by the Brumbies. No shock there) and Melbourne are as everyone expected.

Greater Sydney Rams will play out of both St Mary's and TG Milner sponsored by UWS.

Uni/Balmain out of Leichardt Oval

Randwick/ UNSW out of Dave Phillips Oval

North Syd Rays out of Brookvale and Rat Park sponsored by Mac Uni

The 5th NSW team (yes, five) will be NSW Country playing games out of Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo and supposedly backed by Shore Old Boy's money, whatever that means.

To finish, two teams from Qld. Doesn't provide any details but probably pretty close to what has been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.