• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted S Hunter

Peter Burge (5)
Have had a long absence from this sight speak wise, but have read this thread with particular interest. A couple of very simple things could be done here to make this the single biggest revolution to Australian Rugby in history, and truly signal the death of NRL:

- The ARU MUST remove the stranglehold of the schools pathway and as suggested by a number of people on other threads, remove the Australian and NSW Schoolboys and replace with NSW U18's and Australian U18's.

- The NRC teams (whoever they are) must have an U15, U16 and U17 academy that will pick up this years JGC teams and "adopt" them into their system. This takes the funding off the back of the ARU and also provides a pathway that at this stage is as murky as the Georges River.

- Have all of the current NRC teams establish a proper base, not playing out of multiple grounds. Get a bit of suburban graveyard tactics up and running.

- Ensure all SS clubs are linked to an NRC Team, eg, Norths, Gordon, Manly Warringah all feed to the Rays NRC team, etc. This will be tough for Syd Uni, but if the onus isn't put on them now to develop juniors, it will become a major issue. One possibility is that the likes of Norths move across and become Sydney/Balmain Juniors.

- Each team has a Marquee allowance to get a marquee player running, to get juniors and their families, and by association their funding, behind these teams. It would amaze you the numbe rof junior parents who are cashed up and will back something that their kid is involved in, this could be a major sponsorship solution for the ARU.

If all of the above is done properly and someone at the ARU shows signs of testicles, this could be the best thing for rugby i can think of, but it starts form the bottom up, not the top down!

On the schools front, a way of working around this, is that the schools tournaments are played earlier in the year, finishing by the end of June, then the NRC junior comp kicks off, with the schools comps allowing boys to showcase and selectors time to watch. The NRC plays out until the back end of August, just in time for the selectors to pick the NSW U18 A + B teams, and the normal U18 championships take place, concluded by the selection of the Australian U18's.

I think you will find alot of boys that have a clear pathway will stay playing rugby, especially if they have similar exposure to the higher level as those in Car Cup, and you then all of a sudden have a bus load of footballers playing the game again.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Have had a long absence from this sight speak wise, but have read this thread with particular interest. A couple of very simple things could be done here to make this the single biggest revolution to Australian Rugby in history, and truly signal the death of NRL:

- The ARU MUST remove the stranglehold of the schools pathway and as suggested by a number of people on other threads, remove the Australian and NSW Schoolboys and replace with NSW U18's and Australian U18's.

If all of the above is done properly and someone at the ARU shows signs of testicles, this could be the best thing for rugby i can think of, but it starts form the bottom up, not the top down!

On the schools front, a way of working around this, is that the schools tournaments are played earlier in the year, finishing by the end of June, then the NRC junior comp kicks off, with the schools comps allowing boys to showcase and selectors time to watch. The NRC plays out until the back end of August, just in time for the selectors to pick the NSW U18 A + B teams, and the normal U18 championships take place, concluded by the selection of the Australian U18's.

I think you will find alot of boys that have a clear pathway will stay playing rugby, especially if they have similar exposure to the higher level as those in Car Cup, and you then all of a sudden have a bus load of footballers playing the game again.

I agree a bottom up approach is needed to grow the game and the pathway to professional rugby, but I think you are going about this exactly the wrong way.

Schools rugby is an integral part of rugby culture, it builds fans in a way that clubs can not. The foundations of Rugby in all the strong rugby nations (New Zealand, South Africa and England) is schools rugby.

Heck the Kiwis don't even have club rugby for high school age students.

The differences is they push rugby seriously in a lot of schools, whereas we only push it seriously in about 50 in the whole country. I think if the ARU was serious about growing the game they would mandate region based schools rugby in term 2 and then traditional competitions in term 3. In time phase out club rugby after U13's until Colts.

That way a whole swathes of schools with small or no rugby program now have an opportunity to compete in a meaningful competition - something they have never had until this point. Also makes it a fuckload easier to pick the junior gold squads for an area when you have all the rugby schools in that area playing a round robin over term 2.

Changing the name from Australian Schoolboys to Australian u18 is trampling on 50 years of history for no real gain.

Growing rugby isn't just about gaining a few more elite players, it is about growing the rugby community as a whole and instilling in young men(and women) a bit of rugby culture.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You clearly went to a School with a good Rugby program.
Come down to the Northern beaches and watch what they call the Peninsular cup,which is a local comp for Schools that have not given up on Rugby yet,but do not have a a Rugby program.
You cannot make this the only option for kids in a large region.
What about the kids whose Schools don't field a team?and there are plenty of them.
That would be catastrophic for Colts teams down the track.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ok. There's a bloke on TWF who seems to be suggesting that hte NRC will have 10 teams. Sth Australia have missed out and it appears Easts won't have a dog in this fight according to this poster.

Right here goes according to this guy.

Perth, Canberra (run by the Brumbies. No shock there) and Melbourne are as everyone expected.

Greater Sydney Rams will play out of both St Mary's and TG Milner sponsored by UWS.

Uni/Balmain out of Leichardt Oval

Randwick/ UNSW out of Dave Phillips Oval

North Syd Rays out of Brookvale and Rat Park sponsored by Mac Uni

The 5th NSW team (yes, five) will be NSW Country playing games out of Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo and supposedly backed by Shore Old Boy's money, whatever that means.

To finish, two teams from Qld. Doesn't provide any details but probably pretty close to what has been discussed.

Greater Sydney Rams? Playing out of Milner? I'll call it right now. That is bogus. Aru can shove that right up their arse. I'd sooner cheer on a hostile takeover of the aru.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Greater Sydney Rams? Playing out of Milner? I'll call it right now. That is bogus. Aru can shove that right up their arse. I'd sooner cheer on a hostile takeover of the aru.
Aren't Eastwood part of the Rams? Why wouldn't they rotate the venue between grounds such as St Mary's and Milner?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2014/03/13/rugby-champs-to-come-to-newcastle/

Interesting stuff re: NSW Country. Lot of hoops to jump through to make it successful if it occurs.
I reckon there is an issue with this.

Newcastle could still play a role as a host in the new National Rugby Championship, with former Wallaby James Grant revealing he’ll take a bid to the ARU next week.​
“It will be a country origin based team, so a lot of players will come from Sydney and Brisbane and playing Super 15 at the moment, but we do expect that there will be a few country guys that will break into the squad.”​

The NHRU decided not to proceed with its own bid.​

The competition, which will be televised nationally, starts in August and replaces the ill-fated Australian Rugby Championship which didn’t survive past its inaugural 2007 season due to costs.
“Dubbo, Orange, Mudgee in particular have expressed an interest that they’d like to bring a game there, and then we’ve got Newcastle and Wollongong of course, and then Lismore, Armidale and Tamworth have all been really proactive getting in contact with us.”​

The comp went bust last time. So who pays this time to relocate all those players from Brisbane, and Super 15, and elsewhere - as well as the country guys that make it?

Better to base the team in the Canberra-Queanbeyan area and build it around 10-12 Brumbies who don't have to move (and have no Brumbies move) and then top it up with guys from the Country/Canberra/Sydney. It would save half of that cost.

They could still play home games in Newcastle, Dubbo, Orange, or wherever.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

That's the spirit that'll win the war. :)

A team playing out of Milner is better than no team at all, wouldn't you say? What other venues could host the Rams?

With your attitude we are dead before we get started.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Newcastle could still play a role as a host in the new National Rugby Championship, with former Wallaby James Grant revealing he’ll take a bid to the ARU next week."

I thought that tenders had closed some weeks back. Of course if the NBN News article is in reference to the Shore Old Boys consortium there may well be different rules for "our sort of chaps". Perfectly proper. Class has its privileges.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
They could still play home games in Newcastle, Dubbo, Orange, or wherever.

Don't forget the Central Coast. Had a really good crowd there when the Rays won the Inaugural/Last ARC. Good stadium in need of a naming partner now that Bluetongue has gone "bubbles up".

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone else agree that the ARU has done a spectacularly abysmal job of communicating what the hell is happening throughout this whole process, or it just me?

The ARU website contains a single reference to the NRC buried under Fixtures and Results (???) stating that the tendering process has closed and that the successful teams will be announced "in the coming weeks".

If a fraction of the content in this forum is correct there is apparently a lot of "negotiation" going on behind closed doors (unusual for the ARU) but bugger all in terms of communication to the poor sods who pay their money at the gate.

I'm assuming the tenderers had to provide details of their funding sources so I guess potential sponsors are sitting around twiddling their thumbs just waiting to cough up some money when the ARU eventually gets around to making a decision.

Having spoken recently to a committee man from one of the SS clubs plus their sponsor it's not surprising to hear comments along the lines of "this is a complete farce".

Come on ARU tell us what you're doing !!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You clearly went to a School with a good Rugby program.
Come down to the Northern beaches and watch what they call the Peninsular cup,which is a local comp for Schools that have not given up on Rugby yet,but do not have a a Rugby program.
You cannot make this the only option for kids in a large region.
What about the kids whose Schools don't field a team?and there are plenty of them.
That would be catastrophic for Colts teams down the track.

Does the ARU support this comp in any way though? Help with setting up or improving rugby programs?

Do waratahs players ever get dispatched to the schools to present the first XV with jerseys on assembly?

Do the schools ever receive old gear from the shute shield clubs in the area?

Australian Rugby has a habit of making a poor initial attempt at something then totally rubbishing the idea altogether when it fails. Happened with the ARC as well.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone else agree that the ARU has done a spectacularly abysmal job of communicating what the hell is happening throughout this whole process, or it just me?

The ARU website contains a single reference to the NRC buried under Fixtures and Results (???) stating that the tendering process has closed and that the successful teams will be announced "in the coming weeks".

If a fraction of the content in this forum is correct there is apparently a lot of "negotiation" going on behind closed doors (unusual for the ARU) but bugger all in terms of communication to the poor sods who pay their money at the gate.

I'm assuming the tenderers had to provide details of their funding sources so I guess potential sponsors are sitting around twiddling their thumbs just waiting to cough up some money when the ARU eventually gets around to making a decision.

Having spoken recently to a committee man from one of the SS clubs plus their sponsor it's not surprising to hear comments along the lines of "this is a complete farce".

Come on ARU tell us what you're doing !!!

Would have expected a standalone NRC website by this point, with a few sponsors logos plastered alone the top of the page and regular updates.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
An so it is not miss - I'll cut and paste it here as well;

IMO - I am also disappointed in the SRU & the SJRU.

Maybe Pulver will review their standing and requirement, I'll put it out there, can it, scrap it, what success or enhancements has it brought to rugby over recent years (both senior & junior).

If I recall Sydney Uni turned around, bent over and gave them a lesson on astronomy (an eclipse) with no Uni Players playing in the last SRU rep team.

Possibly replace it with the body that's primary focus is develop rugby and the 3rd Tier - National Rugby Championship. This entity may even implement what could be called a pathway and include an U20 NRC team.

IMO the ongoing success of the NRC comes down to the involvement of the grass roots (The Premiership clubs and their junior development).

Status
Not open for further replies.