• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

what are 6 strongest bids of the 11? doubt 6 or more bids are dudds. verdict - rumours seem unfounded. nrc liftoff in 2014.

Pardon my ignorance haven't been following but what/who are the "11" of which you speak?

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
post page 10.

12 bidders for nrc spots not 11. macquarie university north harbour rays, greater sydney rams, inner sydney, eastern sydney, nsw country, canberra, melbourne rising, brisbane, country qld, perth, adelaide. missing 1. ?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
While I think the market (mostly) should decide the teams, and financial stability is a must, and particular traditional clubs have good brand names, and player development is the main thing, I still also think if this national competition is to 'catch on' and even grow as a competition running along side the TRC, then wise foresight is needed in terms of the names of the teams, and the geographical areas they cover. Traditional fans, AND potential new fans both need to be able to easily get on board and identify with a particular team, especially in Sydney.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Andrew fagan announced head of national teams and competitions. Thinking about this, announcing it now probably means that they're preparing to announce something on the NRC I would think

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
But East Coast Aces, a team on the Gold Coast could mean we get back the East Coast Aces.

Brisbane is also on the East Coast so no reason why they couldn't play out of there. But never the less they will just be an interesting little known fact when chronicling national club rugby in Australia in the future.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Apparently Greg Harris, RUPA has resigned from the NRC commission. Not sure if there is anything sinister in it.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I just have 2 requests
1. Don't name the Brisbane team Ballymore.
2. Don't base a team on the Gold Coast

The Rugby Director of a Logan club told me today that the 2nd Queensland side will be GC-based & that Bond Uni will be involved. Wasted opportunity to tap into Logan's huge talent potential IMO & suspect they'll struggle to make much impact up against the Titans & Suns - luckily there's no competition from the A-League or NBL.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Bond university are basically paying for it from what I've heard. Probably integrates with their sports centre of excellence, as long as its sustained on that technical basis for now it will be able to sustain itself. Long term is a different question.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Bond university are basically paying for it from what I've heard. Probably integrates with their sports centre of excellence, as long as its sustained on that technical basis for now it will be able to sustain itself. Long term is a different question.

Not a good look if your sport is looking to shake off the perception that it's a game for the privileged few & tap into a broader audience. GC already has fully- & semi-pro NRL, Q-cup & AFL teams for people to follow, South & East Brisbane aka Logan & Ipswich have pretty much nothing, except a large & growing population where every 2nd person isn't a personal trainer, barista or reality-TV "star".

IMO support for a GC-based side will be directly linked to their success & glamour: as soon as they start to struggle results-wise and/ or something sexier - say a cashed-up A-League outfit - hits town it'll dry up & the Aces or whatever will join the list of failed GC sports entities. Meanwhile the Ipswich Bombers or Jets will have been admitted to the NRL & any chance of establishing our game in the broader South-East lost.

Pardon the rant but this is an opportunity utterly wasted.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Rugby Director of a Logan club told me today that the 2nd Queensland side will be GC-based & that Bond Uni will be involved. Wasted opportunity to tap into Logan's huge talent potential IMO & suspect they'll struggle to make much impact up against the Titans & Suns - luckily there's no competition from the A-League or NBL.

mate this is third tier. No way is this ever meant to battle against the Titans and Suns. Thats what the Reds and Wallabies do. This is about player development as much as anything I am afraid.

Oh, and tv money.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
mate this is third tier. No way is this ever meant to battle against the Titans and Suns. Thats what the Reds and Wallabies do. This is about player development as much as anything I am afraid.

Oh, and tv money.

If it's about player development why not go where the potential players are? Quade was Woodridge High before Church College, Izzy went to Marsden SHS: how many thousands of kids are out there with the same or greater potential?

TV money generally follows exposure: as I've said above, GC has plenty of more glamorous options than 3rd tier rah-rah, Logan-Ipswich has next to nothing, perfect opportunity to grow something from the grassroots up, even if it's only the players mums, dads, brothers & sisters to start with. I'd rather start with that support-base. Hopefully the GC's north (which many on the coast proper would like to see re-designated Logan South) can provide that 'cos Surfers, Broadbeach & Burleigh won't.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it's about player development why not go where the potential players are? Quade was Woodridge High before Church College, Izzy went to Marsden SHS: how many thousands of kids are out there with the same or greater potential?

its about player development at that 3rd tier. Not at a schoolboy level. THat's where the Junior Gold comes in.

Don't get me wrong, its an important breeding ground for rugby, but its not the place for the third tier team.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
trouble is many of the teams have to be self sustainable by the bid standards. That means given the opportunity to be based in the money or out in the suburbs they based it in the money.

T

TOCC

People need to be realistic about the expectations of this competition...

Priorities are:
1. Player development opportunities
2. Financial viability

Not necessarily in that order either...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This is from Georgina Robinson of the SMH

Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver has declared it is full steam ahead for the National Rugby Championship, despite growing concerns the project is being pushed through too fast.

Plans to have the ambitious new third-tier competition up and running by August this year were hit this week with the resignation of one of the concept's chief architects.

And while 11 different consortiums have submitted tenders to the commission overseeing the new competition, it is understood a number of those parties have expressed strong concerns about the viability of their own bids.

In a further worrying sign, it is understood the Queensland Rugby Union, which is bankrolling the two Queensland bids, also remains sceptical about the wisdom of beginning the NRC in just four months.

Some have suggested the NRC be delayed until next year, but Pulver reiterated the ARU's commitment to see the competition kick off at the end of this year's Super Rugby season.
"The timing may not be perfect for everyone, I acknowledge that," he said. "But we have to weigh up the reasons why we want to put this new competition on and there are clear strategic reasons why we want to do this."​
The ARU is understood to want to harness the considerable momentum that has been generated for a third-tier competition and is reluctant to risk waiting another 12 months.

With a broadcast deal having been secured with Foxtel, there are also commercial imperatives that require a crash or crash through approach, despite the tight time frame.

Pulver said he was committed to giving Australian players a quality competition in which to play.

"It is an important missing link in player development in Australia at the moment," he said. "Do we really want to go another year without it?"​

His comments come in response to the resignation of Greg Harris from the 12-person commission overseeing the tournament's genesis.

Harris, the chief executive of the Rugby Union Players' Association, was diplomatic on Thursday, saying his move was designed to ensure the players' association remained independent of the commission.

"From 2012, RUPA has been the principal architect of a competition of this ilk, but we reserve our position on the structure and it is better for us to do that not as a member of the commission but as a separate independent body," he said.​

Harris' blueprint for a third-tier competition proposed premier rugby clubs in Brisbane, Sydney and other cities form alliances with universities, a theme on which the NRC has drawn heavily since its inception.

He was also instrumental in recruiting some of the most experienced minds in sports administration to work on the project alongside the ARU, including NRC commissioner John Boultbee.

Harris' predecessor, Tony Dempsey, who ran RUPA for 15 years, was heavily involved with the NRC's ill-fated precursor, the Australian Rugby Championship.

He said the competition was a crucial addition to sport in Australia.

Dempsey said:

"It's great to see that Bill Pulver has the fortitude to reintroduce a national rugby competition in the same vein as Gary Flowers did during his tenure."​

"I'm not so sure about the structure of some of the Sydney teams, but the principle and objectives are fantastic. It's just a real pity that the competition was cut in the first place. Imagine where Australian rugby would be now had ARC continued back in 2007."​
.​

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
boofhead.jpg
take third tier titans and nrl clubs head on. excitement, sustainability and patience. keep building and building crowds. invoke a bit of boof leehman.

Status
Not open for further replies.