• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think there have been many, if any, articles linking majority of the Rebels refugees to other teams until the deal has been done.

I guess I'll either come across as a dunce or an oracle but I originally posted about 3 weeks ago that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is signed with the Reds and Taniela going to either of the two teams I mentioned, at the very least he is apparently staying in Australia to get paid his RA deal.

Either way I don't really care but my original post was what I had been told by a Brisbane based Rebels player, same one who told me Mafi going to Japan (which was correct) and Daugunu to France (which was wrong). He did also tell me LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) would be back playing club rugby ASAP in Brisbane, which I posted and he did in fact play the next game for GPS. I think the mail is somewhat accurate.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think anyone who has direct, first hand information from people with skin in the game would feel appropriate posting it here.

Everything you get here will come at least 2nd hand, from families, schoolmates, clubmates etc. At best, it'll be something the individual involved will chat about directly to you at an open training session/after a club game as a "familiar face", without any real expectation of trust.

Anyone with a working social relationship with those involved will be smart enough to hold back things told in presumed confidence.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Are you suggesting this den of unfounded rumours, gossip and half-baked punditry isn't the centre of the Australian rugby universe?

Mick The Munch

Cyril Towers (30)
In the hope of lifting the spirits of the Victorian Rugby loving community I have started a new Dewar shield thread -

We can keep the "Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?" for the autopsy of the Rebels (and to bad mouth RA)

Come and join me

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tbh plenty of Rebels players not at super standard nor an upgrade on current players at the other franchises. Seems to be a fair few players in that better than club not quite super level players (not saying they couldn't be at sometime but not right now)

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
Yes that’s true but some of the big names (Leota, Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Lancaster, Talakai/pone) not confirmed anywhere yet. Any of the Aussie teams would be happy to pick them up

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Isn't this just a function of the websites being build from the same databases?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
yes it is.

Reds

Waratahs

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Tbh plenty of Rebels players not at super standard nor an upgrade on current players at the other franchises. Seems to be a fair few players in that better than club not quite super level players (not saying they couldn't be at sometime but not right now)
That's a bit rough on those unnamed players who just worked in serious adverse conditions to get their team into the Super Rugby quarter finals. What must you think of all those players whose teams didn't make it that far?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Might be rough but it is the truth. Don't disagree that there are a number of players on the tahs and Force roster that are in the same boat. 8/12 teams made the finals. This narrative that the 2024 team was the most successful team ever is rubbish. They won 5 from 15 (33%) games. In 2015/2016/2018/2019 they won 7 from 16 (44%) games.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good pick up for the Brumbies. I haven't always rated him as as super rugby player in the past, but mostly because he was playing super rugby before he was ready. He has a lot of potential and looked to take a step forward with the Rebels this year, hopefully he'll develop well in Canberra.