• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The rumours are all over the shop - the only team I haven’t seen mentioned is the Brums, who seemingly have a full roster, which is no doubt the source of @Brumby Runner remarks.

Rebels players were given the option to preference which franchise they wanted to player for. If the Brumbies have minimal room for signings, of course most players would want to sign with one of the other two Eastern teams.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would have thought that WA would be an attractive option for some of the young guys but I agree with Cheese maybe they didn't want to go.
The number of Rebels players going to NSW and Qld seems a bit crazy to me. Not sure how they are going to fit all these guys into their squads.
Let's hope that Tahs and Reds don't become dominant and The Force misses out on talent. The Brumbies may come under pressure if this is how it all pans out.
It seems to me this could be RA's long term plan.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The rumours are all over the shop - the only team I haven’t seen mentioned is the Brums, who seemingly have a full roster...
Cheese, a couple of Reds fans have now said this recently, yourself and Wilson. The Brumbies have lost 5 players from this year's roster and so far have not announced any signings. Where do you come off saying they have a full roster? Do you have inside information?

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fair point, I had forgotten a couple of them were leaving.

My point is it's baseless to suggest the Reds and Tahs have been favoured when, as you say, there's only been a handful of movements announced. I'd be surprised if the Brums weren't a sought-after destination for ex-Rebels, being the winningest Aus team - despite having to base themselves in Canberra (only in jest, I do quite enjoy it down there).

Let's wait until the dust settles before getting on our high horses, shall we?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems to me this could be RA's long term plan.
That worries me as we need all boats to lift sooner rather than later.
Do you know how many Rebels players are looking for a spot in Australia? I'm sure they won't all fit into the remaining 4 and the ones we are most likely to lose are the young talent, which won't help us come RWC time. The Japan and Euro clubs will pick up a fair few and I guess the NRL might see it as an opportunity.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
SMI, there are 38 players listed as being in the 2024 Rebels squad. I have not heard of any retirements, and I think there have been five announced signings elsewhere, Kemeny overseas, Kellaway to Tahs, Carter Gordon to League, and Josh Canham and Filipo Daugunu both to the Reds. I'd expect there would also be a handful of academy/wider training group players hoping for a spot elsewhere. So, perhaps something like 35 - 40 players currently looking for another spot. It looks like around 18 of them were contracted through to 2025.

Like you, I can't see all of them finding a home in the other Aussie franchises.

My take on what's happening is that RA likely offered the contracted players an opportunity to move to their preferred location thinking it would perhaps roughly even out over the four teams but hoping more likely that more would opt for the Tahs. The reporting is that something like 10 or 11 players have turned down the opportunity to go to the Tahs, so by and large most of the players are still up in the air.

I'm unsure just how this will all play out in time but I reckon it'd be a safe bet that it will get messier before the situation is resolved.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If there's 40 players looking for a job, and 11 have said no to the Tahs, does that mean the large majority would still like to go to the Tahs?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I believe there were 11 players the tahs wanted, and the majority of them said no. Whether or not the tahs look at the rest of the squad might depend on who they otherwise get.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If you want to read it that way Strewth, then whatever fills your boots.

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before, that only those players with contracts running to 2025 were given the opportunity to nominate where they'd like to go. Could mean I suppose that maybe 7 of them are considering a spot with the Tahs. My guess is that they'd need at least that many to put together a reasonable squad for next year.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
SMI, there are 38 players listed as being in the 2024 Rebels squad. I have not heard of any retirements, and I think there have been five announced signings elsewhere, Kemeny overseas, Kellaway to Tahs, Carter Gordon to League, and Josh Canham and Filipo Daugunu both to the Reds. I'd expect there would also be a handful of academy/wider training group players hoping for a spot elsewhere. So, perhaps something like 35 - 40 players currently looking for another spot. It looks like around 18 of them were contracted through to 2025.

Like you, I can't see all of them finding a home in the other Aussie franchises.

My take on what's happening is that RA likely offered the contracted players an opportunity to move to their preferred location thinking it would perhaps roughly even out over the four teams but hoping more likely that more would opt for the Tahs. The reporting is that something like 10 or 11 players have turned down the opportunity to go to the Tahs, so by and large most of the players are still up in the air.

I'm unsure just how this will all play out in time but I reckon it'd be a safe bet that it will get messier before the situation is resolved.
Excellent summation BR of a very tricky situation for rugby in Australia. There are still, at a guess, 10 of them who could make it to the Wallabies sooner or later and if we lose those then the impact on the Wallabies in the next RWC may be serious.
This would not be such a big issue if the other Super Rugby franchises were not on the bones of their arses. They could then upgrade their teams by picking up talent from the Rebels squad and letting lesser players go.
In a centralised system would this be simpler?
As it stands we will lose a fair number of players to clubs outside of Australia and they will want the best of them.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe there were 11 players the tahs wanted, and the majority of them said no. Whether or not the tahs look at the rest of the squad might depend on who they otherwise get.
I am hoping a few said no, for now. Waiting to see who the coach is. Considering how few have formally announced as departing/having new homes - this is possible

Uelese, Mafi, Canham, Gordon, Kellaway & Daugunu have confirmed homes at this stage I believe.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Someone said Mafi was going to Japan.
Yeah, that has been rumoured for a while now. Given he only had a contract for 2024 it'd make sense for him to have sorted something out quickly. He doesn't have the luxury of an RA guaranteed contract for 2025.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That was @PhilClinton mail. I believe he said in same post that daugunu was off to France so probably a fluid situation.

Yep he has been back training in Brisbane since end of Rebels SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season and the mail was he secured a Japan contract some time again, I believe at Suntory. I don't believe he has turned out for GPS yet either, whilst LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has played a game since signing with the Reds.

Taniela apparently heading to Force or Tahs.