• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HI, I had him going to the Reds is this an unexpected move? Let me know if you hear he's signed.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I completely understand the players reluctance to head to the Tahs but if, as seems to be the case, the Tahs pick up the 6 or 7 players that are being discussed and particularly if Leota is one of them then they should actually have a strong side next year with a good coach who has been part of a program with a history of developing talent.

They’ll have a world class front row (might depend on Tupou’s level of motivation) and a decent backrow. Their backline will have plenty of class.

As seems to have been the case for 10 yrs lock, depth and how well their 10 plays will be critical and McKellar, like any coach, probably needs a years grace but hopefully he can at least turn around the reputation of the Tahs so it starts being a place people want to go again.

Not saying at all that expectations should be high but, to me, the critical thing is McKellar makes it a place people want to be.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
I completely understand the players reluctance to head to the Tahs but if, as seems to be the case, the Tahs pick up the 6 or 7 players that are being discussed and particularly if Leota is one of them then they should actually have a strong side next year with a good coach who has been part of a program with a history of developing talent.

They’ll have a world class front row (might depend on Tupou’s level of motivation) and a decent backrow. Their backline will have plenty of class.

As seems to have been the case for 10 yrs lock, depth and how well their 10 plays will be critical and McKellar, like any coach, probably needs a years grace but hopefully he can at least turn around the reputation of the Tahs so it starts being a place people want to go again.

Not saying at all that expectations should be high but, to me, the critical thing is McKellar makes it a place people want to be.
Any player who signed to play for the rebels (excluding those who are locally produced) have zero cred if complaining about the tahs as a destination. Sadly, the rebels have been a poor outfit since day 1. The tahs have had a few poor recent seasons with some negligent recruitment decisions on coaching staff and players. This year they had some solid performances early but with the horrendous injury toll they never hit their straps. However comparing the 2 sides as a rugby destination is chalk and cheese... and not in favor of the Rebels.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Most of the time you don't think about someone's age on here unless they specifically mention a life or rugby experience or some other context like kids or uni brings it up.

But you can smell the gammon on that post.

Reactions: Tex

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any player who signed to play for the rebels (excluding those who are locally produced) have zero cred if complaining about the tahs as a destination. Sadly, the rebels have been a poor outfit since day 1. The tahs have had a few poor recent seasons with some negligent recruitment decisions on coaching staff and players. This year they had some solid performances early but with the horrendous injury toll they never hit their straps. However comparing the 2 sides as a rugby destination is chalk and cheese... and not in favor of the Rebels.
It's true, once you work at a shit workplace you lose all agency in future employment choices and must work for any other shitty employer that offers you a job. You definitely can't learn from the experience and be circumspect when choosing future employers. :rolleyes:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

29 of the last 30 years says different

Linerunner2023

Alfred Walker (16)
It's an interesting position to be in. It probably makes sense for both in this coming year, but it's difficult to see someone in France not offering Tupou big bucks. And even if you take money out of the equation the Tahs is a weird place for Kailea to be, the Tahs having two internally highly related looseheads in Bell and (for some reason) Lambert.
This will be an issue anywhere with players particularly wallabies players moving to clubs who have wallabies players in those current positions
Reds have seen it allready
A good issue to have for depth but there will be bigger competition for spots at the rosters next year

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah the Tahs, the same club that told Angus Crichton fuck off the Shute Shield and come back when he is ready to play at Super level. Nothing stacks up in favour of the Tahs

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Really? Waratahs have one championship, 3 x finals, 9 x times into the Semi Finals. But believe whatever makes you feel better mate.
I mean you'd certainly prefer the Tahs if their historical success was your primary method of evaluating them as a potential destination.

Not sure why it would be, though. They are fucking rank.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Putting aside all the other nonsense, it doesn't sound like extensions are forthcoming for anybody: just the establishment looking to take over existing 2nd or 3rd year of deals.

Can't possibly imagine why a player would perhaps think that moving to new city which is more expensive to live the same lifestyle in, without a job for your partner, needing to find a new place to live, typically still being away from any friends and family you've made, without any guarantee that you won't have to do the same thing again in 11-15 months time is not particularly appealing.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Really? Waratahs have one championship, 3 x finals, 9 x times into the Semi Finals. But believe whatever makes you feel better mate.

Ah so by your measure a club that is spose to be "the heartland of rugby" misses finals more than they make & have over & over ruined young players development is a club of destination

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Putting aside all the other nonsense, it doesn't sound like extensions are forthcoming for anybody: just the establishment looking to take over existing 2nd or 3rd year of deals.

Can't possibly imagine why a player would perhaps think that moving to new city which is more expensive to live the same lifestyle in, without a job for your partner, needing to find a new place to live, typically still being away from any friends and family you've made, without any guarantee that you won't have to do the same thing again in 11-15 months time is not particularly appealing.
Are we talking about professional rugby players here? Sorry, I thought we were..... happens fairly regularly across club, state and international sport as far as I can tell.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Canham the only one to sign a new longer contract so far, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were still negotiating a few with an extension on the table.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Are we talking about professional rugby players here? Sorry, I thought we were..... happens fairly regularly across club, state and international sport as far as I can tell.
Doesn't make it any more appealing if there are other options... Can't think of an established player who's moved states for a 1yr deal tbh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

You would think this is a massive priority for the Tahs once McKellar and Raiwalui are in place. They need to work out who should be retained and make it happen before players start seeking out post 2025 Super Rugby contracts elsewhere.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)

Are you presenting an argument in good faith or not? We're not talking about the Nick Jooste journeymen or the talented but unestablished Vaihu's here for whom uncertainty is part of the set of conditions you get to keep playing Rugby professionally.

The vast majority of that contracted core: Uelese, Canham, Daugunu, Tupou, Gibbon, Anderson, Salakaia-Loto, Leota, Fa'amausili & Lancaster, are established or breakthrough players who's performances either this year or over the course of the past several would not require them to take up a single season deal except by active choice.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its about bargaining power. Players with decent market value will always look for the best conditions they can get to suit their needs.

'But the Tahs used to be good 10 years ago' isn't much of a bargaining chip.

Last edited: