• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I have very strong mail that Taniela is heading to the Tahs or the Force. I believe a poster earlier insinuated there was more mail that he was going to the Tahs.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I have very strong mail that Taniela is heading to the Tahs or the Force. I believe a poster earlier insinuated there was more mail that he was going to the Tahs.
The Inside Line podcast said it was basically a ‘formality’ he was going to the Tahs. If he’s one of the players that wants to be closer to family then Perth ain’t it. The recent mail that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) hasn’t been resigned likely underpins this.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
FIFY

I actually hope for the good of the game in Australia they go overseas. Australian Rugby cannot keep paying all these players. Only one team, the Reds, are financially sustainable. The other three teams are either running at a serious loss and as such a drain on RA coffers or are being propped up by a sugar daddy willing to pour money into the club for now. We need to lower the salaries in Australia not increase them which is what will need to happen to get players to move to the Tahs given Sydney's Eastern suburbs is the most expensive place to live in the country. Let the Wallabies be selected from players plying their trade anywhere and accept the financial realities of Super Rugby in Australia.

I am not sure playing more games is going to make more revenue. Our issue isn't that we don't play enough it is that there are other draws on the available money that the public has to spend on entertainment. The reason for the lack of support for Rugby and therefore revenue in Australia is that we have two other winter sports with a vastly higher profile taking precedence. Other countries have one other winter sport but none have two especially where one is a derivative of Rugby anyway. Super Rugby has lost the fight for the hearts and minds of the public and must accept that and live accordingly within it's means.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Tex i was told "refused to consider point blank", possibly hyperbole, but the impression i got was this was a response to RA, rather than a considered position. with time and McKellar's appointment, some may have reconsidered. ps i wasn't told who the11 were, except for Kelleway who was already common knowledge.
Phil Waugh was at the same pub as me on Friday night. I should've introduced myself as a GARG correspondent and put some hard questions to him.