• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
There's also a number of players who won't get a job at all and wouldn't be sought after. Happens every year with a few guys who come off contract.

Any player wanting to have a longer career should also be thinking about where do I get minutes to show my skills? Bit of ego now might mean your first cut next year at the Brumbies when you've had three off the bench stints all year.
Given that list of 11 names I wouldn't be too confident going to the tahs would have you in a much safer position or better position to show your skills for plenty of those guys. It doesn't look so much like a targeted list to build out a squad as much as the tahs trying to grab anyone and everyone available and fit them into he squad however works out. I'd think there might be much more room to get gametime at hooker and loosehead prop at the Brumbies, or winger and fullback at the Force for example.

Either way, I don't think any of them need to make a call right now, particularly if RA is restricting things to just the tahs offer right now (not in a conspiratorial way, just in terms of salary cap and squad space). Those spots aren't filling up quickly, they have their contracts confirmed and it's a fair way out until even pre-season starts, particularly with the tahs not playing any off season rugby. Their best bet is by and large to wait and see - if the tahs are really getting their shit together, if they can open up more of an offer at the Reds/Force/Brumbies, if they can negotiate a better deal around relocation or if they can get in good interest from overseas.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
as i was told by someone inside the Rebels and confirmed now several times, the Tahs had a wish list of 11, 7 (at that stage) had refused point blank, one was a yes (Kelleway) 3 others were considering. that roughly aligns with the above.
Point blank refusal is interesting. With respect, is it accurate or hyperbole? I ask because some of the proposed explanations go into Sydney property prices (lol, everything in this country somehow loops back...) and cost of living, competition for places etc etc. But a blanket refusal is pretty instinctive.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sympathetic to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Remember he was released early from Northampton for "family reasons" - a homesick wife, and now he has had to pack up sticks and move again.

He has a wife and two young kids, and it sounds like they have had enough of moving around.

How that works in the context of a career in professional sport remains to be seen.
His not the only one with young kids either, Tupou, Gibbon and Lourwens all do as well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Point blank refusal is interesting. With respect, is it accurate or hyperbole? I ask because some of the proposed explanations go into Sydney property prices (lol, everything in this country somehow loops back...) and cost of living, competition for places etc etc. But a blanket refusal is pretty instinctive.
Tex i was told "refused to consider point blank", possibly hyperbole, but the impression i got was this was a response to RA, rather than a considered position. with time and McKellar's appointment, some may have reconsidered. ps i wasn't told who the11 were, except for Kelleway who was already common knowledge.

Reactions: Tex

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
This is where RA are probably struggling with the issue.

They are obliged to pay the salaries but can't force players where to go, or force clubs to take on a salary under their salary cap.

I'm sure there's a few discussions going on how to best manage these things. If the rumors are true that a large chunk want to go to the Reds, then I'm sure the Reds are asking for more money or salary cap dispensation. Which doesn't help the competition or financial situation in the short/longer term.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is where RA are probably struggling with the issue.

They are obliged to pay the salaries but can't force players where to go, or force clubs to take on a salary under their salary cap.

I'm sure there's a few discussions going on how to best manage these things. If the rumors are true that a large chunk want to go to the Reds, then I'm sure the Reds are asking for more money or salary cap dispensation. Which doesn't help the competition or financial situation in the short/longer term.

I thought I read somewhere that RA were asking the clubs to take on 50% of the salaries. Given that financially, Waratahs & Brumbies seem to actually be RA, and Force is covered by a billionare it sort of singles out the Reds as contributing.

I don't see any reason that the Reds should feel obliged to take on additional players without full funding from RA. It's also pretty shite for players building through the Reds squad who were getting close.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm pretty sympathetic to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Remember he was released early from Northampton for "family reasons" - a homesick wife, and now he has had to pack up sticks and move again.

He has a wife and two young kids, and it sounds like they have had enough of moving around.

How that works in the context of a career in professional sport remains to be seen.
I’m also a bit sympathetic to his position. However, he moved to Melbourne. Yes, it was probably acceptance of a job offer to get back in Australia, and then he hoped to return to Brisbane. But, he would have at least considered the possibility he would be in Melbourne for more than a year. It’s like any other employment, if your employer goes bust you need to go where the best job offer is.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
I listened to the Inside Line podcast this morning with Atko and Iain Payten- got to say this is one of the most informative podcasts going around if you’re interested in some of the behind the scenes movements in aus rugby. Their latest mail on rebels player movements - stressing that this info was unofficial and not finalised deals but from reliable sources etc as follows:

Reds
Gibbon (strong chance)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (strong chance, noting he has moved back to QLD already so would be the guy mentioned in the pandaram piece yesterday)
Lachie Anderson

Tahs
Tupou (formality)
Leota (more likely as Mackellar has been in his ear)
Kailea
Wilkin
Lancaster (linked)
Angelo Smith
Dobbins

Force
Pone (linked)
Proctor
Vaihu
Palu
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (linked from Waratahs)
Louwrens (possibly)

No mention made of the Brumbies

Would be great if the force could pick up those 2 tightheads after losing Medrano. Would make a good front row with Robertson and Paenga-Amosa. Don’t need louwrens with 3 half backs already and the others would be ok

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would be great if the force could pick up those 2 tightheads after losing Medrano. Would make a good front row with Robertson and Paenga-Amosa. Don’t need louwrens with 3 half backs already and the others would be ok
I hope most of them go to the Force, I really think that RA need to ensure that the Force are a success.

NSW will eventually come good due to their clubland. I worry the Force will not get success without lots of money and buying in good players developed elsewhere.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
I actually hope for the good of the game in Australia they go overseas. Australian Rugby cannot keep paying all these players. Only one team, the Reds, are financially sustainable. The other three teams are either running at a serious loss and as such a drain on RA coffers or are being propped up by a sugar daddy willing to pour money into the club for now. We need to lower the salaries in Australia not increase them which is what will need to happen to get players to move to the Tahs given Sydney's Eastern suburbs is the most expensive place to live in the country. Let the Wallabies be selected from players plying their trade anywhere and accept the financial realities of Rugby in Australia.