• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for this for march 15th end date of the ARU embargo on Domestic signings.

just posted: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-union/super-14/western-force-crushed-by-reds-20100314-q5ww.html

"Tight-head prop Laurie Weeks, lock Adam Byrnes and reserve half Richard Kingi are all understood to have committed to the Rebels.

Other players expected to be announced, as early as Tuesday, include former Force No.8 Tim Davidson, former NSW academy centre Lachlan Mitchell and ex-Brumbies winger Peter Betham.

It’s understood 2007 World Cup Wallabies hooker Adam Freier is also close to leaving NSW where Tatafu Polota-Nau has locked down the No.2 jersey."

just rumours but post as it comes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Re: Rebels deadline ends, update here on what you hear.

If Qld lose just the 3 I won't be too upset. Would love to keep them, but.....

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Sully said:
If Qld lose just the 3 I won't be too upset. Would love to keep them, but.....

Completly agree. It is just outright slaughter that we can't afford. Former Wallaby tight head as coach. If we lose Weeks, expect to see another promising talant rise through the ranks.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Has anyone heard more on Palmer? This is crucial for the Tah's future and the Wallabies. He's the next great long term (50 test) prop.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Hawko said:
Has anyone heard more on Palmer? This is crucial for the Tah's future and the Wallabies. He's the next great long term (50 test) prop.

Huge call. I'm sure people were saying the same thing about Holmes a few years back.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...a-brand-new-band-of-rebels-20100314-q66j.html

Waratahs hooker Freier expected to head a brand new band of Rebels
STATHI PAXINOS
March 15, 2010

THE Waratahs are set to lose the services of their most-capped hooker, with Adam Freier this week expected to become the Melbourne Rebels' highest-profile signing to date.

Freier, a veteran of 25 Tests and 99 provincial matches with the Waratahs and Brumbies, is understood to be one of eight players set to be unveiled by the Rebels in the coming days, joining former England five-eighth Danny Cipriani on the fledgling Super 15 franchise's books.

The Rebels are, from today, free to announce signings of players who are contracted to the four established Australian teams, with the Australian Rugby Union-imposed ban expiring at midnight last night.

Freier, who has yet to play for NSW this season after off-season back surgery, is looming as Melbourne's biggest catch.

With fellow international Tatafu Polota-Nau performing strongly in the No. 2 jersey for the Waratahs, Freier is believed to have opted for the guaranteed game time offered by Melbourne in next year's expanded Super 15 competition.

Freier is likely to headline a list of Melbourne signings this week including prop Laurie Weeks, back-rower Adam Byrnes and halfback Richard Kingi from the Queensland Reds, and NSW academy winger Peter Betham.

Former Western Force and Waratahs forward Tim Davidson, former Waratahs utility back Lachlan Mitchell, who is at London Wasps, and former Queensland and Australian halfback Sam Cordingley, who is playing in France, will also be announced this week.

Rebels officials would not comment on the expected signings, with chief executive Brian Waldron only saying ''we're excited about what's going to unfold in the ensuing days and ensuing weeks''.

The Rebels failed to attract big-name players such as Berrick Barnes and David Pocock, and also missed out on Waratahs five-eighth Daniel Halangahu. However, it is believed that the club is still pursuing former NRL star Mark Gasnier, Brumbies back Christian Lealiifano, who was raised in Melbourne, Welsh representative Gareth Delve, and former Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock and utility back Mark Gerrard.

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen said the squad's core would be revealed over the coming weeks and he was happy with the shape it was taking.

''We're sifting though players with the attributes that we are seeking [and] the next couple of weeks will start to see the nucleus of the team coming together,'' Macqueen said.

''We didn't expect to get everyone we were after, and on the other hand, there's been a lot of speculation about players we were after that we actually weren't.

''There's no doubt that at this stage we're reasonably happy with where we are.''

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I was hoping they would release them all tonight. Sigh.

It does make better media sense to release them slowly I suppose.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

I agree EFE but it would still be awesome if they just released them all in one wave.

i reckon the betting agencies should be taking bets on which teams will have the most taken from them (and include euro rugby and shute shield as options) we'll see as it unfolds.

its also a bitch i got a full day of uni tommorrow.... (just realised)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Hawko said:

I presume you mean after Weeks, Hawko, which means he might have a long wait. A huge advantage that Laurie has over Dan is his efficiency around the park.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
i reckon the betting agencies should be taking bets on which teams will have the most taken from them (and include euro rugby and shute shield as options) we'll see as it unfolds.

So far it looks like even the London Wasps are going to lose out in the a big way. If they lose Mitchell and Cipps.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

en_force_er said:
Lachlan Mitchell? First time I have heard his name linked with the Rebels but I'm glad to hear it.

This has made my day. I loved watching him at uni. I always thought the force missed out big time by letting him go.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

louie said:
en_force_er said:
Lachlan Mitchell? First time I have heard his name linked with the Rebels but I'm glad to hear it.

This has made my day. I loved watching him at uni. I always thought the force missed out big time by letting him go.

Isn't he primarily a fullback though? Isn't that jersey promised to Mr.Cipps?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

from what i remember he is a outside centre and winger. i have no idea what he's been playing since he left. he's a gun tho. great signing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

ok, so we are seeing:

15 Danny Cipriani
14 Lachie Mitchell
11 Peter Betham
9 Richard Kingi
8 Tim Davidson
7 Julian Salvi
4 Adam Byrnes
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Adam Freier

20 Sam Cordingly

Did I miss anything yet? That's the 'all but confirmed' signings.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Why Cip at 15? He's a 10, no?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Blue said:

Yer right, Blue, he is a 10. But he's been signed to play fullback. Any questions, ask Rod Macqueen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

enforecer. Delve is in question now as he's been called up to the national team.

Haven't seen any reports as to Horua's signing.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

Lindommer said:
Blue said:

Yer right, Blue, he is a 10. But he's been signed to pay fullback. Any questions, ask Rod Macqueen.

according to the hangers article about why he stayed at nsw, he believed cips has been signed to play I0, its just he was trying to sign other I0s and didnt want them to think they would be competing for the jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.