• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Can't believe they've only got 2 10's without an option like Hook/Laidlaw/Twelvetree's who can slot in there in an emergency ? Really weird choice.
Surprised at Best's omission too, didn't have the greatest 6N but a class act.
I'd have taken Zebo or Wade as a bolter too ahead of Maitland.
Ryan Grant ought to be there ahead of Stevens as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Forgive my ignorance, but what's up with Ashton?

Apart from the obvious, he's also been in absolutely terrible form this year. Wouldn't be anywhere near my top 10 of wing picks for the Lions, shouldn't even be in the England squad on this years form let alone the Lions.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With the lack of cover in the squad I've a feeling there are going to be a few holidays interrupted and some hurried travel arrangements to Aus for at least a couple of players who probably should have been picked in the first place.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's a mark of the lack of wing strength when Sean Maitland makes the squad.
He has pace and nothing else - weakish defender, no step.
He was dropped from the Saders run on 15 last year.
Perhaps he has improved a little in Scotland.
Tim Visser is miles better.

Maitland hasn't really improved in Scotland either. Still a very poor defender as are all of the Scotland back 3. I agree with you I'd take Visser over him any day. He may also be poor defensively but he's a born finisher.

There's plenty of wing talent around. The problem is that their either not getting international recognition as is the case with the English guys, Ashton and 2 FBs has meant that not one form English wing has seen regular international action in the last year. Then there's the Irish up and coming wings like Zebo who're coming back from injury. I think of all the wings to be left out Zebo is the unlucky one as he offers that something extra compared to many of those chosen ahead of him.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is this a plot from the Northern Hemisphere to win the next World Cup? Wallabies win 3-0 Deans will keep his job till 2015 and blow Australia's chances there again.

Can't see this Lions team winning a test, Warburton would be lucky to start in reality. Now his captain he will have to unless he cracks under the pressure and does something stupid again.

Forwards will be pretty even but the Aussie backs will run riot over the Lions. Glad Murray got the call as he is the best 9 option to defend Genia.

Any one know who is playing for the Barbarians in Hong Kong? They could arrive in Australia with a loss to there name already if France, NZ, SA and the Puma's allow there players participate in this game.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Looks like this will be the starting XV. Like Wales, but better.
Halfpenny
Bowe
O'Driscoll
Roberts
North
Sexton
Phillips

Faletau
Warburton
Lydiate
Wyn-Jones
O'Connell
Jones
Hibbard
Healy

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Is this a plot from the Northern Hemisphere to win the next World Cup? Wallabies win 3-0 Deans will keep his job till 2015 and blow Australia's chances there again.

Can't see this Lions team winning a test, Warburton would be lucky to start in reality. Now his captain he will have to unless he cracks under the pressure and does something stupid again.

Forwards will be pretty even but the Aussie backs will run riot over the Lions. Glad Murray got the call as he is the best 9 option to defend Genia.

Any one know who is playing for the Barbarians in Hong Kong? They could arrive in Australia with a loss to there name already if France, NZ, SA and the Puma's allow there players participate in this game.

Can't see it being that overwhelming in either sides favour. It'll be close and will come down to the odd point here and there as the Welsh tour did last summer-only a score between the sides in each match wasn't there ?
Priestland was so much off he pace in that series that given a fit Farrell or Sexton in his position Wales could well have won the series - it was that close a call between the sides.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Apart from the obvious, he's also been in absolutely terrible form this year. Wouldn't be anywhere near my top 10 of wing picks for the Lions, shouldn't even be in the England squad on this years form let alone the Lions.

and lets not forget he's a showboating twat as well

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Showboating is fine and dandy.. if you're any good :D
Isn't it funny that the very best players don't feel the need to do it though. Just had another chuckle to myself, he has picked four props who can't scrummage (Healy and Jones the exception), and the best scrummaging loose head of the six nations he has left in Scotland, the most unbelievable decision of the lot for me. What is really making my sides ache is that one of the games is being reffed by Poite, honestly you couldn't make it up!!!

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)

Still, I get nightmares about this

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Warren Gatland have a bit of a history with Sean Maitland hence his selection. Wilkinson not included totally agree with that as his attacking skills is very limited these days.
Ferrell well he is a crab running your centres into touch so hopefully for entertainment Sextoy don't get injured.
Tommy Bowe was a natural choice.
Warburton good choice as captain had a wonderful world cup blew hot and cold but he showed some good form. England backrowers are just slow. Jenkins in the frontrow and he wins a lot of penalties at scrum time

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tour manager Andy Irvine has said that in a phone conversation with WG, Wilkinson ruled himself out of contention for the Lions. He said that his body wasn't up to such a grueling tour and that he had to put his club first.

Status
Not open for further replies.