• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
It's a mark of the lack of wing strength when Sean Maitland makes the squad.
He has pace and nothing else - weakish defender, no step.
He was dropped from the Saders run on 15 last year.
Perhaps he has improved a little in Scotland.
Tim Visser is miles better.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The so called "sea of red" at the moment:

20100114_hitler_190x190.jpg

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agreed JSRF10 - if Sexton goes down, Farrell is far too limited a player to guide the Lions around the park. Would pick any of Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), Lealiifano, KB (Kurtley Beale), Barnes over Farrell.

From an Aussie point of view, pretty pleased that Hartley and Stevens got picked. Hartley still too much of a penalty magnet and doesn't have the composure in pressure situations. I can see Matt "Charlie" Stevens being a bit of a loose cannon in the Lions camp too.

Other thoughts:
  • Predicting Lydiate will play his way into the starting lineup.
  • Tipuric should start ahead of Warburton but the captaincy is obviously an issue.
  • Think the Lions missed a trick in omitting Zebo and/or Wade - both have that X-Factor that the Lions are otherwise sorely missing.
  • Again, from an Aussie perspective, hoping Cuthbert starts. A real defensive liability and I think his positional play could be seriously exposed by Mogg's long-kicking game.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Delighted that Fatland seems to have managed to have pissed off everyone outside of the principality and those of us who want to see the whole exercise come to an end. There are some fantastically poor and divisive picks. Pissed off Murray is going, he is not the most robust physically and I would fear for him lasting out this most gruelling of tours. However, as disappointed as I am sure the lads are, I am pleased that Zebo and POM will get a good break this summer. Thank God Ross is not going, Stevens is a brilliant selection as is the model of a charmless man Hartley, who will at least keep the citing commissioner interested. Croft????? Priceless!!! Honestly Warren you have made my day.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Agreed JSRF10 - if Sexton goes down, Farrell is far too limited a player to guide the Lions around the park. Would pick any of Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), Lealiifano, KB (Kurtley Beale), Barnes over Farrell.

From an Aussie point of view, pretty pleased that Hartley and Stevens got picked. Hartley still too much of a penalty magnet and doesn't have the composure in pressure situations. I can see Matt "Charlie" Stevens being a bit of a loose cannon in the Lions camp too.

Other thoughts:
  • Tipuric should start ahead of Warburton but the captaincy is obviously an issue.
  • Think the Lions missed a trick in omitting Zebo and/or Wade - both have that X-Factor that the Lions are otherwise sorely missing.
  • Again, from an Aussie perspective, hoping Cuthbert starts. A real defensive liability and I think his positional play could really be exposed by Mogg's long-kicking game.

Robbie Deans will is the big winner here I think. St Sam is lucky to even make the plane IMO, and if the Lions have to accommodate him in the test side they are in trouble. Smith, Hooper and Gill are all a class above him right now. I can't believe that Lions have given Australia such a massive boost given that he'll have to be picked for the first test.

I'd agree 100% on Cuthbert, he has the turning circle of an oil tanker and is a woeful defender, the classy Wallaby footballers like JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Beale and Lilo will expose this massively if he gets picked. Right now though I'd say Bowe and North would be favourites to get into the test side.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

Other thoughts:
  • Again, from an Aussie perspective, hoping Cuthbert starts. A real defensive liability and I think his positional play could really be exposed by Mogg's long-kicking game.

Lydiate? I watched him get out played by Dave O' Callaghan a couple of weeks ago, yes that's right 'Dave' not 'Donncha', a fella who has hardly made Munster's Heineken cup bench. Talk about picking on reputation!!!! If Aussie don't win this series they want shooting.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It is kicking off everywhere, the Telegraph is going into meltdown, Munsterfans is like a morgue. The only place there will be any joy is in Robbie Deans head and on Gwlad. I reckon even Aussie fans might be pissed off with Fatland because he is going to give Dingo such an easy ride he will be sure to get an extension. Thank God neither Paulie or BOD are going to be the figureheads for this shambles although thank God it is going to be a shambles.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
JSRF10 Hasn't Bowe had a lot of injury trouble lately? He's class but will he make it through all the warmup games?

the plastic paddy - yep, absolutely picking on reputation. I think he's also a class act and will play himself into the team. Hasn't he also had a long injury layoff?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A few big surprises:

No Tim Visser. Sean Maitland gets the gig instead.
No Johnny Wilkinson and only two fly halves in the squad.
No Euan Murray with Matt Stevens selected instead.
No Rory Best.
No Launchbury.
No Robshaw. Hard to make the side if you're an England captain!

Maitland? Hmm. OK. Who knows. I have read a couple of places that he is thinking of playing Hogg or Halfpenny on the wing anyway so Maitland won't make the first XV. Visser still a better player for mine. Maybe he is thinking some local knowledge will help?
No 3rd flyhalf. Risky if one pulls up lame in the warmup.
Murray would have been competing for TH. Stevens got the gig ahead of the Scottish bearded monster whose name eludes me now. Stevens is the single worst selection of the whole squad.
Best losing out to Hartley is fucking perplexing. Hope that Hartley makes the 23. Guarenteed penalties.
Still a great bunch of locks.
I expected the English captain to not make it. Robshaw's problem is that he is a hybrid back rower. Where do you play him? He makes it hard to play a balanced back row but probably deserved at least to be there. Is he better than any of Warburton, Tipuric, SOB or Lydiate? Resounding nope.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
JSRF10 Hasn't Bowe had a lot of injury trouble lately? He's class but will he make it through all the warmup games?

the plastic paddy - yep, absolutely picking on reputation. I think he's also a class act and will play himself into the team. Hasn't he also had a long injury layoff?
Yes on both counts although Bowe has had one knee injury rather than a succession of them like Lydiate who is creaking to say the least. Just to correct one thing though and to be serious for a moment, the way Matt Stevens accepted his guilt, took his punishment and has rehabilitated himself after his problems with cocaine has been exemplary and he deserves a lot of credit for it IMHO. However that still doesn't mean he should be within an asses roar of a lions squad unless that squad was being picked by me to lose the series!?!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
the plastic paddy some of your comments have got me in stitches here mate!

jason Bowe has been injured but looks in decent nick since he came back, he is a fair pick and is without doubt one of the best players available to the Lions.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
So we're playing a Welsh invitational team? Should have that one covered then. Hubris is the wobs worst enemy now, our track record against NH teams we should roll isn't that stellar...

Status
Not open for further replies.