• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is it the Lions camp moaning or the press trying to sell newspapers.

There was a belief that in 09 the Lions were caught cold because the pace & intensity of the Tests was greater than the other matches. Maybe it would be better to have tougher opposition but its too late to complain now. However, it's better to have some opposition than no opposition. Some of the Wallabies will be four weeks without a game. I would rather have the Lions preparation than the Wallabies. Time will tell.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think as always the team who had the best preparation will be the one that wins the test series, hindsight being 20-20 etc.

The host country resting their test players will continue until the Lions start winning test series again. When that happens there will probably be a lot of talk about how the host nations players were under done and caught cold. Then there will be pressure from within that country for the test players to play the warm up games next time the Lions roll into town.

No amount of pressure from the Lions or NH media will change how SA, NZ and AUS prepare for Lions tests. Losing a series is what will make them think about change.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
There was a belief that in 09 the Lions were caught cold because the pace & intensity of the Tests was greater than the other matches

I'd argue that the Lions lost in 2009 because McGeehan, Rowntree and Gatland made 3 huge selection errors (Mears, Vickery, AWJ) in the tight 5 for the first test. Once these were corrected the Lions were on top, probably a discussion for another day though

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Huge news that Sexton is possibly out for the first test, and that Twelvetrees has been brought in.

Admittedly Billy is a very decent player, but Sexton is a huge loss

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Huge news that Sexton is possibly out for the first test, and that Twelvetrees has been brought in.

Admittedly Billy is a very decent player, but Sexton is a huge loss

Source? All I can find is that he is injured but no speculation as to how long he is out for.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think as always the team who had the best preparation will be the one that wins the test series, hindsight being 20-20 etc.

The host country resting their test players will continue until the Lions start winning test series again. When that happens there will probably be a lot of talk about how the host nations players were under done and caught cold. Then there will be pressure from within that country for the test players to play the warm up games next time the Lions roll into town.

No amount of pressure from the Lions or NH media will change how SA, NZ and AUS prepare for Lions tests. Losing a series is what will make them think about change.

A few articles in the Torygraph questioning whether the whole exercise should continue might well cause a bit of a change of policy from the SH teams as well, they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. The English are whining enough about their lack of players in the squad and likely to be starting, so if the yeoman folk hero, Brian Moore, decided to sow a few seeds of disharmony they could well fall on extremely fertile ground. Of course that is dependent on an Aussie series win, must find myself an Aussie jersey!?!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sexton was confirmed today as being in good health and there were no worries about him from what I understand. 36 is more cover for Tuilagi and also the coaches son.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Don't get the moaning from the Lions every 4 years, they know what to expect these days. As I've said before why would Australia help the Lions prepare by allowing the Wallabies to play in the warm up games?

Absolutely. Why on Earth would any host nation help out the Lions in their lead up? The amateur era ended long ago and simply "playing for the glory of facing the Lions" isn't as relevant in the pro era.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sexton was confirmed today as being in good health and there were no worries about him from what I understand. 36 is more cover for Tuilagi and also the coaches son.

I remember similar statements in the run up to the game against England in Dublin. At least it won't be the IRFU paying his wages while he sits in the stand, when his hamstring goes bang and he is out until christmas.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I remember similar statements in the run up to the game against England in Dublin. At least it won't be the IRFU paying his wages while he sits in the stand, when his hamstring goes bang and he is out until christmas.

I see the similarities but if Sexton was a doubt why call up someone who hasn't started at 10 for nearly two years, to my knowledge. Surely Flood, Biggar or Madgian would have been better call ups? If your right all bets on Australia 3-0 should be paid out, neither Farrell nor 36 have anywhere near the skill level/temperament to pilot a Lions team at 10 in a test match

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I see the similarities but if Sexton was a doubt why call up someone who hasn't started at 10 for nearly two years, to my knowledge. Surely Flood, Biggar or Madgian would have been better call ups? If your right all bets on Australia 3-0 should be paid out, neither Farrell nor 36 have anywhere near the skill level/temperament to pilot a Lions team at 10 in a test match

Don't know about 3-0, but the wallabies would definitely be favourites if Flood et al get anywhere near the match-day squad. I don't get to watch much northern hemisphere rugby, but I'd always heard that we in the antipodes had never seen the best of Sexton. This tour he has started to really impress me - he has a gorgeous passing game. Not quite as good as Coopers, but still really effective.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That's not what I was saying Paddy but go with it my son :)

I actually don't get as excited about a Lions tour as I do for one of the individual countries, truth be told.

Is England a Country? Same for Scotland and Wales.

They are just provinces of the UK. The UK is internationally recognised as the Nation State which forms a Government to govern the provinces of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)

They are just provinces of the UK. The UK is internationally recognised as the Nation State which forms a Government to govern the provinces of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
I trust you aren't having a lend?
The UK is a sovereign state (United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) and is made up of four countries; England, Wales, Scotland and NI.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

HJ, do we really have to get into this splitting hairs argument? They play as separate countries regularly, except when the Lions squad is formed. To me the Lions doesn't mean as much as say, playing England. I accept that rugby where is one of the few sports where this is the case, but that's the situation in our sport.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Dai bando

Except the lack of player depth makes arranging more 'meaningful' matches nearly impossible so this is a moot point. The whinging is getting seriously old and I'm not even exposed to 9/10ths of it./quote]
whinging is not what I intended, But you seem to have taken umbrage over what was just articles from newspapers and comments from some very senior rugby personnel ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.