• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As far as I've seen it's been build up from the Lions side. A Lions legend series etc. Sky, who broadcast the Lions over here, also shows most S15 games and does a round up of all the tries each round.

As the tour progresses I'd expect them to switch more focus to the Aus team. Especially guys like Falou that a lot of NH fans may not be familiar with.

I know Lynagh and Fitzy have been highlighting Aus players to look out for against the Lions as part of the S15 coverage and giving their opinions on who should be selected.

Up to now though I haven't seen anything specifically focusing on the Aus players, but I've been here in Tokyo for the last 2 months so I may have missed it.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Are there any useful UK-based rugby websites that have comment and analysis pieces similar to GAGR and The Roar?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Rugby Blog, Whiff of Cordite and Demented Mole would be my preference for blogs

Disclaimer: My brother is one of the WoC authors so I have to give it a plug but it was a pretty good blog

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on what we've seen so far I think the test backline will be:

Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
O'Driscoll
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Bowe showed the few times he got the ball last night that he is a far better option than Cuthbert. Cuthbert is great for running in straight lines but thats all he can do, Bowe has a bit of creativity to his game which the Lions will badly need also he is a much better defender

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
And the loosies? I thought Heaslip was outstanding last night and both Croft and SOB were good too. I would probably go with Croft, Toothpick & Heaslip.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Croft finished his try well but didn't do much else apart from get knocked out. He doesn't do enough work in the tight for me, I just think he is too much of a luxury at this level. I'd have Tipuric at 7 and SOB or Faletau at 6 with Heaslip at 8. Lydiate doesn't look fit and the Lions can't afford any passengers which is also why I'm not mentioning the great leader.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Croft finished his try well but didn't do much else apart from get knocked out. He doesn't do enough work in the tight for me, I just think he is too much of a luxury at this level. I'd have Tipuric at 7 and SOB or Faletau at 6 with Heaslip at 8. Lydiate doesn't look fit and the Lions can't afford any passengers which is also why I'm not mentioning the great leader.
I actually thought, for a change, Croft did get through a mountain of work and was solid in defense around the ruck. I would like to see SOB at 6 before the tests start though. I didn't think about Faletau at six. The 'Great Leader' will be fit for Saturday I wonder.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
He is still training by himself apparently, not sure he'll even make the tests at this stage. Gatland must be regretting that decision.

Croft is a marmite (or vegemite for the locals) player I find, he just isn't for me although maybe I need to re watch and look closer at him in the tight last night.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Was a poor showing by the lions, defensively we were wanting heaslip had some breaks but against what kind of opposition?
As for SOB needs heads up when he gets close to the line was stopped every time with men outside him, just a crashing ball, the aussies will lay in wait for him every time,
I agree with Bow a better option than Cuthbert, as I've said before lets hope nothing happens to Sexton, Murry is also no Mike Phillips.
Also think the right choice was made to leave Best behind didn't show at all.

My back three North, 1/2penny, Bow,
centre BOD, J Roberts,
half backs Sexton, M Phillips

Back row if all options are fit, Lydiate, Sam, Falatau,
second row POC, Grey,
front row if all are fit, Healy, Hibbard, Jones,
Bench Jenkins,Youngs, Cole, AWJ, Tupiric, Murry, Farrell, Hogg

This is on present showing, I have no doubt this will alter

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Can't agree on Lydiate and Warburton but the rest of your team looks good. I would take both if they were in their World Cup 2011 form but Lydiate has look laboured since his return and so far has looked off the pace. Warburton has played 2 decent games for Wales this season and his form for Cardiff Blues was a disgrace at the best of times. I'd start Tipuric and SOB but your right that a lot can chance between now and test time.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Hey JSRF10 you seem to have a low opinion of Sam, your right of course his form has slipped I think he now has it back, the tip tackle he was red carded for took him a long time to recover from, Sam is no dirty player, which I personally saw nothing wrong with that tackle thought it a good tackle, he let go of clerk so that he could get to the ball nothing malicious in it.
An over zealous ref decided he was the star of the show, thus Sam blamed himself for the loss Wales incurred against the French, But I feel he has now recovered, I think you will see a different Sam than the one you talk about.
As for Lydiate I did say if they were all fit Lydiate has just come back from a bad injury, will take him a little time to get back but, another I feel has his best rugby in front of him.
Regards Dai

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
We'll have to disagree on the spear tackle but Warburtons reaction to it says a lot about it him as a man. I'm just not a believer in the hype around him, I think Tipuric is a better seven right now. Don't get me wrong he seems like a decent bloke but if the Lions are to win the series I don't think he should be the openside. Theres only a couple of weeks until that first test Lydiate and WArbutron are running out of time for one to get fit and both to show form

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
On games played so far i'd have SOB, Tipuric & Heaslip as backrow. I'll reserve judgement on Warbs til I've seen him play to see what his forms like.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I hope that the Breadman has brought his A game this time around.

His performance in the last tour was a little disappointing.

The Red Card obviously had a big effect on him for a long time.

ATM I fancy Tipuric as the starting #7 but it would be great if St Sam was able to displace him on form and not just reputation, and have Tipuric come off the bench with about 20 to go and ready to peel the logo off the goal post pads.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm a big fan of toothpick so I would definitely like to see him start. One thing I would say is, it's going to be difficult to judge performances as the Reds will be a completely different proposition. Heaslip was fantastic last night but would he have stood out as much against a better defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.