• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
It staggers me the attitudes that some have in relation to trial by media. And a determination to call guilty even if not supported by court or even police prosecutor.

Not a standard that would be accepted anywhere else in society. At any rate, he still has charges pending.

Let's wait and see.

agree

dru

Tim Horan (67)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
You’re reading. But maybe not enough critical thinking? My take on this is just how well behaved Quade has been with the press under extraordinary situation.

Two explanations for that
Either QC (Quade Cooper) has truly matured and has been treated horribly
Or he acted like such a dick that he doesn’t want to give Thorne a reason to come clean on the real circumstances.
Both scenarios are quite possible.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think it was his performance on the field that got him sent club land; Hunt has put in some decent shifts, so is likely to be forgiven. That is the way it works, not fair, but reality

"decent shifts" would be as in baseline acceptable or slightly above at best. Anywhere near what his pay grade would reasonably expect, no. IMHO he has been incredibly average and a very poor performing investment. At his age his peak, given injuries (even setting aside the issues of substances and bringing the game into disrepute) is past and he is likely at best to be a consistently average or better than average performer. A Rob Horne of the Reds with none of the historical good performances to prove his peak skills in Rugby. Then add in the downside for the negative influence of his previous convictions and now this fiasco and there should be no doubt what the outcome should be.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Two explanations for that
Either QC (Quade Cooper) has truly matured and has been treated horribly
Or he acted like such a dick that he doesn’t want to give Thorne a reason to come clean on the real circumstances.
Both scenarios are quite possible.

Very doubtful

tragic

John Solomon (38)
"decent shifts" would be as in baseline acceptable or slightly above at best. Anywhere near what his pay grade would reasonably expect, no. IMHO he has been incredibly average and a very poor performing investment. At his age his peak, given injuries (even setting aside the issues of substances and bringing the game into disrepute) is past and he is likely at best to be a consistently average or better than average performer. A Rob Horne of the Reds with none of the historical good performances to prove his peak skills in Rugby. Then add in the downside for the negative influence of his previous convictions and now this fiasco and there should be no doubt what the outcome should be.

We are talking about a Wallaby here right?
Wish we had a few more players who were as “consistently average”

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Gnostic, that pretty much sums up the way I've been impressed, or not, by Hunt as well. And, in answer to tragic, unfortunately there have been more consistently average performers in the Wallabies in the past year or two than I'd like to see.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
We are talking about a Wallaby here right?
Wish we had a few more players who were as “consistently average”

Ned Hanigan's a Wallaby as well. Going to be fascinating to see how the Reds and RA handle this now with the coke charges dropped. If I were in charge he'd already be out the door but I have a suspicion, as he is one of Cheika's annointed ones, there will be a lot of pressure from above to keep him playing. Massive early test for the new CEO.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whether the bloke is guilty of the offence (that is, necessary to be found guilty in a Court) or not is not the issue for me.

He plead to the first offence some years ago. He was dealt with very lightly by the Reds. He is very highly paid and made the Wallabies (although I thought he did not deserve that as his playing level was sub standard for that level).

He has been a sad fit for the Reds. No-one really is keen to associate with him on a private level ( as they don't want to get caught up in any of his shit).

The bloke has bought the game and the Reds as well as the Wallabies into disrepute.

The integrity of the game and the kids following the game is a lot more important than the short term future of a non deserving player ewho is nearly at the end of his career.

Fuck him off.

Putting aside whether they should, i doubt they can just fire the bloke on suspicion. Guilty verdict would probably be needed if they want to avoid a payout.
I'd be in Court the next day if my boss tried to sack me on 'suspicion' of something.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
We all have some man or woman at work that we know beyond a doubt gets absolutely shit faced on the weekend. This shouldn't lead them to lose their job.

Now, if they get criminally prosecuted for possession or other drug charges, it's a different debate. But in Karmichael's case, it is not.

Innocent until proven guilty, even if you're sure they're guilty.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I would concede that getting pissed up and having your deeds splashed across the front of the Courier Mail would impede career prospects in some but not necessarily all work places.

For the case of a senior player in a professional team I would guess that such publicity may be detrimental to his career no matter the outcome unfortunately given reliance on sponsorships and the acceptance of the investigation outcomes by rabid fans yearning for a team that knuckles down and delivers success again.......especially when said professional sporting team has already pulled the forgive and forget lever once before to overlook past indiscretions.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if RA conducted any drug testing of Hunt shortly after the arrest as they would be entitled to do under their policies?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I didn't get that impression from the Smith article. More that it was about the Reds having a hardline approach to discipline under the new mangement and coaching team.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Putting aside whether they should, i doubt they can just fire the bloke on suspicion. Guilty verdict would probably be needed if they want to avoid a payout.
I'd be in Court the next day if my boss tried to sack me on 'suspicion' of something.

That's the way it should imho. However they do need to test "fit" back in the playing group. It is a passionate debate, and there may not be space for Hunt. I'm pretty sure they can fire whoever they want whenever they want - though you must surely be right over agreeing conditions around the matter.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In cases like this I have got to the point where I almost hope they are guilty.

If they are, then they’ll hopefully get what they deserve and we can move on.

But if they’re innocent - well it appears they’ll largely be assumed guilty anyway (which may or may not be fair enough - but the presumption of innocence is one of the most important foundations of our society IMO). The organisation, in this case the Reds, will have generally have little or no grounds to sack them, but will he deemed poor if they don’t.

Appears to me everyone loses.

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
He does still have two charges pending so there is still scope for him to be found guilty on two counts

Status
Not open for further replies.