• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

James Horwill cited for stamping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
How many freaking lawyers do we need?

Can we get some of the non-freaking lawyers involved?
I think this shambles was caused because non lawyers did not appreciate the legal niceties of an acquittal. I bet no lawyers advocated this appeal process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I reckon it depends on the IRB's motivation. I reckon they either decided that, on the balance of probability, Horwill was guilty and wanted a review OR were under a lot of pressure from the home unions to review the decision. If it is the latter, I reckon there is a good chance Horwill will still play. You mention they don't want to lose face, but wouldn't it be losing face if they admit that their judiciary that made the original decision got it wrong. I'd hazard a guess that they will make the decision that yields the least complaint/hassle. That would be Horwill being reviewed and found innocent. But maybe I am being too optimistic.
That would yield the least complaint in Aus but the most complaint in the UK and Ireland. Don't care either way myself but the Lions fans are all livid about this, many questioning the result of yesterday's game according to the conversations I had last night!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In no way are they comparable. If Horwill being cleared in the first instance from something that he shouldn't have was the problem then the issue lies with the laws and the process so change them. Retrying someone found not guilty by their own system only undermines and diminishes what is an apparently already weak system.

Scoey, Thompson was sentenced under the same system - the IRB's own system - but the IRB still intervened to change the end result. As per your own comment, this also undermines and diminishes the system.

End of the day, Horwill should have been suspended. He's a repeat offender and he's yet to get any kind of ban for something that is dangerous and illegal.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
For what it is worth I think you fellas will win the third test with or without Horwill. Enjoy it because I don't think the Lions will still exist in 2025.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Scoey, Thompson was sentenced under the same system - the IRB's own system - but the IRB still intervened to change the end result. As per your own comment, this also undermines and diminishes the system.

End of the day, Horwill should have been suspended. He's a repeat offender and he's yet to get any kind of ban for something that is dangerous and illegal.
Bullrush, there is a world of difference between a guy being found guilty but not quite getting the sentence strong enough and a guy that's found not guilty being hauled over the same coals again because apparently they got it 100% wrong the first time.
Yes, stomping should not be a part of the game but whether Horwill stomped or not is not relevant to this argument.
You obviously agree that the process is flawed but that's where the discussion should stop. You are annoyed/pissed/whatever that Horwill has done stuff like this and it's gone without suspension. He has been punished but you want him suspended. That is a different issue.
If the IRB fix the system then this shit doesn't go on and the next guy gets sorted. If they pursue this bullshit avenue then next time someone "accidentally" stomps on someone they may well get off scot free and we're back at square one with the IRB intervening having accomplished nothing.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Never ever heard of citings , once heard, being reheard.
Not enough work for lawyers ?.
Move on and get the next citing heard- elbow to the head.
Then look at high tackles on Saturday. Then of course Folaeu dropping opposite number on his head or was it above the horizontal in attack?

Move on

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
I realise we are talking about Horwill here.... but I am still baffled as to how Owen Farrell was not even cited over his tip toe through the tulips on Ben Lucas's head, resulting in Lucas being stretchered off the field with half his ear hanging off.
I have looked at this a few times and it was much worse and obvious than Horwill.
If Horwill goes then Farrell should have been sent packing.
The ARU needs to grow a pair and get on the front foot over this.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
North brought Folau safely to ground.
Folau then may have also lifted North over the horizontal in a weird almost WWF wrestling throw with the result of North receiving a knock on the melon.

I'd like to see it again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
On second viewing it looks as if North just lost balance and went into a forward roll kind of topple with Folau attached to him.

I wonder what the other 9 camera angles show that the British press have.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On second viewing it looks as if North just lost balance and went into a forward roll kind of topple with Folau attached to him.

I wonder what the other 9 camera angles show that the British press have.:)

One of them shows North holding IF's leg - I just hope the IRB's mysterious 10th camera picks that up

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Braveheart81 I think there is a great deal in what you say but you cannot underestimate @TOCC's point.
The new arbiter will, even if only subliminally, know what the IRB wants.
The IRB control, by one means or another, the juicy gig constituted by these appointments - and the even juicier gig of going to RWC's every 4 yesars and pontificating.

It is possible that the IRB don't care of the outcome and are merely placating the British press by having this review.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That would yield the least complaint in Aus but the most complaint in the UK and Ireland. Don't care either way myself but the Lions fans are all livid about this, many questioning the result of yesterday's game according to the conversations I had last night!!

It's Britain. There will be complaint no matter what the outcome is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.