• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Italy vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I saw nothing in the midweek games to suggest that McCabe is anything more than last man standing at 13 who can cover 11/14 as well. As soon as JOC (James O'Connor) is back I think it will be Turner to the bench and McCabe to the stand.

As you indicate he is chosen for versatility in the absence of JOC (James O'Connor). He has played 10 and 12 during his short career also, though his best position is at fullback. Not that it really matters, but I wouldn't assess him as a 13 on his two games for Oz A on tour because he hardly ever got the ball without getting an opponent at the same time.

He we go again talking about the backs mainly. The old tale I tell like the Ancient Mariner applies: it won't matter much if we have new backs or the usual ones against Italy or France unless the forwards play with more ticker than they did against the Poms or Munster - different packs, I know, but that is the appalling feature.

If the forwards change their ways and tackle dominantly forcing the ball runners backwards, as their league cousins are trained to do, and not drag them down so they are beside them, or worse: closer to their own goal-line than they are....... if they force them back when the ball is on the floor whoever has possession ...... if they do 3 or 4 things differently that answer to domination of opponents near the ball ...... then we can start talking about the backs.

If the forwards do those things I'll warrant that folks will be talking about how Cooper and Barnes and all the other backs improved. It was always so.

PS Yesterday Bruce talked about Brockie who played for the Wallabies and coached them to swiping the Bledisloe from the Blacks with inferior cattle. He mentioned that Brockie didn't want the Wallabies hanging back - which is what the 2010 vintage is doing currently.

Somebody asked an Oz coach of that era what advice he should give to his players. I can't remember if it was Brockhoff - and think it may have been Templeton - but the response was: "Never hesitate to step forward."

That's what our fellows need to do; not only for the remainder of this tour but also when they return to Super rugby and the 3N next year. "Never hesitate to step forward." I love it.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Reds smashed the Bulls in 08 with this combo.

We also need to remember that when Barnes was at the Reds they had next to no platform from the forwards.

So he should slot back into the starting line-up well then?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm excited.

No wait, what's that other one? Scratching my balls.

I'm scratching my balls.

I re-read this again and had another good laugh. It's funny enough to re-post and say thats again for a great line I'm sure I'll be able use one day :D

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Had to give Slipper a start - has outperformed Benn R for weeks - rather see a tough and talented kid get a start than an incumbant not playing well (reckon Robo will now be motivated and we will see him back to his awesome best in 2011 in time for RWC - Barnes should stiffen the defence
unless in 2011 Slipper dominates in the two S15 games against each other. This is the best part of the conference system, we actually get to see how good someone is in more that one game against their direct opponent.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
unless in 2011 Slipper dominates in the two S15 games against each other. This is the best part of the conference system, we actually get to see how good someone is in more that one game against their direct opponent.

I'd like McCalman replaced as well. He is good at smacking others in club rugby but runs too high, tackles too high and doesn't add much. No tougher or better than Brown. And I'm not suggesting a return of Brown.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see that the game will be held on a field of play that is narrower and shorter than the norm (the laws say not exceeding 70 metres wide, nor 100 metres long, but are silent on minimum dimensions).

The Scots did that a few years ago when we played them away from Murrayfield.

There will be explanations made, but a smaller field of play suits them. They like a narrow game and if our quick width can be blunted by such means it's good for them.

It's a bit like a powerful boxer who is slow on his feet preferring a smaller ring.

PS - have never heard of the scrummie, Gori.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lee,

We are the Wallabies. They are the Italian Rugby team.
Not the Italian soccer team, the rugby team. Should they defeat us tomorrow every member of the Wallabies squad deserves atomic wedgies and I will[personally fly over to Paris to deliver them! Defeat is not an option, Field size is no excuse. Wallabies by 15+.

We're not there for a haircut! Unlike Berrick who hopefully is!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
No probs, Deans is going to sweet talk the ref.

The other great unknown for the Wallabies is the referee Christophe Berdos. Asked what he knew of the Frenchman, Deans said: ''Not a lot.''

But Deans will try to impress Berdos by conversing in French when they meet for the traditional pre-match coach-referee get together.

Oh yes, if it's anything like the sage like fluency of a Deans post match press press conference only more so, he'll be impressed......

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
give pat mccabe a run....

My dad sings with his dad...

At least there is some methodology in that selection recommendation. :lmao:

Some of the Wob selections this year appear to have been based on similar methodologies, rather than form on the oval.::)

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
This is how I see it going (I've translated it back in to English for those of us with only high school french):

images
"Scrum go boom"

images
"I beg your pardon?"

images
"SCRUM.... GO.... BOOM"

images
"I believe that you are saying you are concerned about the scrum?"

images
"KNEEL.... GROPE..... WITHDRAW......WITHDRAW...... KABOOM!!!!"

images
"You are concerned about the length of the pause. Noted. Now please go away."

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Top stuff, Vidiot!!!

This is how I see it going (I've translated it back in to English for those of use with only high school french):

images
"Scrum go boom"

images
I beg your pardon?

images
SCRUM.... GO.... BOOM"

images
"I believe that you are saying you are concerned about the scrum?"

images
"KNEEL.... GROPE..... WITHDRAW......WITHDRAW...... KABOOM!!!!"

images
"You are concerned about the length of the pause. Noted. Now please go away. (Before I sink another one of your hippy whale-loving ships)"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe has been 'quarantined' with a possible stomach bug leading into the test but will apparently be fine in time to play...

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Italy to pinch it, Deans to have the excuse of "not my top team" and "invaluable information as we build blah blah... bad ref."

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
C'mon people! This is the A-team now. Or pretty close.

I don't like Lee's news about the field at all. I reckon Robbie should play a clip of the cheating Italians diving against Australia in soccer over and over again. But I digress.

This is an excellent team, and we're going to win, and I'm going to get on board the Robbie express. Or more accurately, the Robbie Express has finally arrived at my station where I've been waiting 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.