• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Italy vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

The Cooper and Barnes combo for Queensland never excited me much whatever spot they had, but let's see.

I agree, I can't remember it working too many times either - although it did look good in Perth against the Poms. Here hoping it does work, because in theory it is a better combo that with Gits in the mix.

The problem always seems with Berrick at 12 that he doesn't have the running game required. As he is not very dynamic in contact, and doesn't have the speed to hit holes that he probably sees (as he has a very sound rugby mind). However his defense is excellent, and so too is his distribution. He also holds the ball in two hands, which a few of the other lads could take note of.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If you're sticking up for the Macs Mac, you'd play McCabe. He'd be better than Cutch in the backline on his best day and 15 metres quicker over 100.

You are right Lee, a little biased towards the Mc's in the team (although not a big fan of McCalman yet).

However, I was thinking McCalman because he would bring some size to the backline. Agreed McCabe would be faster but we have enough fancy, twinkle toes players running around in the backline already.

He must have some decent pace to play 7's...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Gits got benched, thats some progress in terms of selection.

Lachie - expected
Burgo - would prefer sanchez
Simmons - Good luck mate
Slipper - well deserved has outplayed Benn for a while
McCabe - A bit brave by deans but i suppose he can cover several positions
Hodgo - well deserved

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think this is the strongest XV we can put on the paddock at the moment.

Robinson and Genia in form are automatic selections but they are far from in form.

Barnes may miss the odd solo try but he will save two that Cooper would otherwise have let in. And he may get our outside backs working with his straighter running and willingness to take on the line.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd have liked for Sharpie and Pocock to have started from the bench so they both got a rest before France. Chis would then have been competing directly for his spot and Sharpie could have come on if the lineout went to custard. Hodgson would not look out of place in Pocock's spot, hope he gets on early in the second half.

I saw clips from the press conference after Munster with Dingo and Barnes. Barnes was remarkably positive and upbeat for the captain of a WB team that just got thrashed. He certainly did not let it get to him. That is a bloody hard thing to fake, it looked very real and bodes well for his calmness in the face of things going wrong. This week if he goes well Dingo might just be prepared to let him stay on for France, though he dropped him earlier this year after he and Cooper had a blinder against England in the first test.

I saw nothing in the midweek games to suggest that McCabe is anything more than last man standing at 13 who can cover 11/14 as well. As soon as JOC (James O'Connor) is back I think it will be Turner to the bench and McCabe to the stand.

Overall I have to love the look of the backline, I've been calling for it for many weeks and now I get to find out whether I'm a blowhard or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Barnes has shown more form at 12 for the Wallabies than any other player over the last three years, he is no where near perfect, but he runs good lines (not to score 3,000 tries, but to make space for those around him), defends very well and is a calm head.

What he isn't, is the guy who takes big chances, he plays the numbers conservatively and that doesn't play well in aus rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big fall from grace for Mumsy.

Not that I am displeased...

Barnes or KB (Kurtley Beale) to kick?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Morahan in the squad? Would have prefered him on the bench rather than McCabe. What's happened to Hynes as well?

Otherwise not many people here could complain about that team - a lot of the selections people have been asking for have happened. Let's hope for good weather eh.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I say give it to KB (Kurtley Beale) - unless Barnes got his start because his goal kicking in the gale in Limerick

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, the team ever so slowly inches towards the team we would have picked at the start of the season. It's at about 85% of the G&GR 22. This is starting to look like the side to win games.

Tell you what though. If Barnes is not the goal kicker I'm switching off and going to bed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Morahan in the squad? Would have prefered him on the bench rather than McCabe. What's happened to Hynes as well?

Otherwise not many people here could complain about that team - a lot of the selections people have been asking for have happened. Let's hope for good weather eh.

Morahan, Hynes, Davies (the last 3 outside backs) as well as Saia and Van came home yesterday I believe. Part of the money saving squad reduction technique.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Morahan is too lazy off the ball, Hynes needs an off season to get fitness back

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Step in the right direction, we need to fix our defensive woes and Barnes is a lot better in that department than Giteau. Still Cooper will need to have worked on that during the week. Slipper is a well deserved selection as Robinson has been out of sorts for a while now, hasn't look right since his injury.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
My guess is that Deans didn't let the Munster game sway him either way on selections, taking the view that the conditions were so horrific and almost every player so terrible that it wasn't worth thinking too much about.

I'm more excited about this 22 than I've been about most others. I agree with FP on Barnes (Munster atrocity not withstanding). Be interesting to see how the Tahs back 3 go together.

Big, big game for Slipper. Is this his run-on debut? Cos that is a scary pack to make it against...

Status
Not open for further replies.