• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I saw Sopoanga playing for the Highlanders last week so can we assume he is not going? Great pity for NZ as he is a gun, although there is no doubt whoever is there in his place will be very handy.

When does the tourney start and does OZ have a trial game first like they did last year?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Team named for first game against Tonga:

1 Tim Metcher
2 Hugh Roach
3 Paul Alo-Emile
4 Blake Enever
5 Greg Peterson
6 Jarrad Butler
7 Colby Fainga'a (C)
8 Ed Quirk

9 Matt Lucas
10 Ben Volavola
11 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Apo Latunipulu
13 Tom Kingston
14 Kimami Sitauti
15 Rohan Saifoloi

16 Siliva Siliva
17 Scott Sio
18 Luke Jones
19 Ted Postal
20 Eddie Bredenhann
21 Simon Morahan
22 Bill Meakes

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
NSW Waratahs have signed Bredenhann haven't they? Definite contender for the skye blue #9 jersey next year if thats the case

N

New Fan

Reports are the boys had a solid win over Tonga in there first game.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Saw England vs Ire game and NZ'er game.

England should have buried an overmatched Irish outfit who fought hard but didnt have much cohesion or help from their starting 9,10 pairing. England have a solid set-piece and their massive Tongan loose-head poach looks like he is on the other side of 35, and their backs looks like they can shift the ball into space and creat problems but a shocking amount of unforced English errors was the best Irish source for both field possition and posession. They have 2 good No. 10, and a very fine 15 who hits the line well. Still, I dont see them winning the tournament unless they improve dramatically.

The Irish hooker couldnt hit a barn door but was the captain and so was kept on. I know Ruddock, the Irish coach, has a rep from coaching Wales to a 6N Grand Slam, but this Irish outfit didn't look particulalry well coached at all They were very slow and poor in re-alligning in both attack and defense, and their re-starts were that hot. They have a speedy back three however.

The NZers were devastating with ball in hand and were 36 pts at the half. Funnily enough, Sopoaga played 12 and was their weakest link in both defense and attack. Anscombe, the Auckland 10, was very impressive, but the opposition werent that great and NZ blew away Italy even though they werent always accurate with ball in hand, or lacked concentration at times. The Barrett kid from the Highlanders was really impressive when he came on late in the 2nd half. Not so sure about their No. 9 options; they might be weak there, but they'll be very, very tough to beat.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a joke, we hardly get any televised games because we're in a shit pool

Beat Tonga 52-7

Code:
Matt Lucas	Try	08:00	1
Ben Volavola	Con	09:00	1
Tom Kingston	Try	11:00	1
Ben Volavola	Con	12:00	1
Blake Enever	Try	20:00	1
Ben Volavola	Con	21:00	1
Hugh Roach	Try	25:00	1
Ben Volavola	Con	26:00	1
Kimami Sitauti	Try	30:00	1
Ben Volavola	Con	31:00	1
Colby Fainga'a 	Try	16:00	2
Ben Volavola Miss Con	17:00	2
Jarrad Butler	Try	24:00	2
Matt Lucas      Con	25:00	2
Apo Latunipulu	Try	31:00	2
Matt Lucas	Con	32:00	2

I've seen Volavola kick and he's not the greatest so that was a worry but good to see he's kicking well, although I suspect most would've been near the posts.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Handsome win, but to be expected I guess. I'm assuming this isn't the strongest team they can put on the park so it will be interesting to see changes for their tougher games.

W

waves

After watching the English team play Im not all that convinced they will trouble the likes of Australia and New Zealand this year.

S

stusker

Lee,

A medical joker is a non-squad player brought into a squad due to unexpectedly high injuries in the initial squad. Not a "sicknote" as they say in the UK.

All the best
ST

S

stusker

Team named for first game against Tonga:

1 Tim Metcher
2 Hugh Roach
3 Paul Alo-Emile
4 Blake Enever
5 Greg Peterson
6 Jarrad Butler
7 Colby Fainga'a (C)
8 Ed Quirk

9 Matt Lucas
10 Ben Volavola
11 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Apo Latunipulu
13 Tom Kingston
14 Kimami Sitauti
15 Rohan Saifoloi

16 Siliva Siliva
17 Scott Sio
18 Luke Jones
19 Ted Postal
20 Eddie Bredenhann
21 Simon Morahan
22 Bill Meakes

with an eye on the future, Siliva Siliva, PAE, Petersen and Kingston for 50 test Wallabies? Jones maybe - if he finds his right position? Roach is he grows beyond LOTR height?

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Ambrosini ruled out with broken thumb, Damon Anderson called in to replace him. Pleased to see Anderson recover from his shoulder reconstruction and interesting to him replace a #10.

T

tranquility

with an eye on the future, Siliva Siliva, PAE, Petersen and Kingston for 50 test Wallabies? Jones maybe - if he finds his right position? Roach is he grows beyond LOTR height?

Colby and Quirk have a decent future ahead of them as well I think it is fair to say.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Team vs Fiji:

1 Scott Sio
2 Siliva Siliva
3 JP Pradaud
4 Blake Enever
5 Luke Jones
6 Ted Postal
7 Michael Hooper (C)
8 Jarrad Butler

9 Eddie Bredenhann
10 Ben Volavola
11 Kimami Sitauti
12 Simon Morahan
13 Tom Kingston
14 Damon Anderson
15 Jacob Woodhouse

16 Hugh Roach
17 Paul Alo-Emile
18 Greg Peterson
19 Ed Quirk
20 Matt Lucas
21 Bill Meakes
22 Rohan Saifoloi

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I take it they are just resting Colby? Hopefully he is not injured. Lucky to have a replacement like Hooper.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
They would have to be restin players ie: Quirk,Colby, Alo-Emile

Interesting that Lucas started over Bredehan in the first game and Hooper was left out

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would assume that Fainga'a will shift to 8 when they're full strength to accommodate Hooper at 7...

T

tranquility

Probably, but I think at this stage Colby and Quirk are definite selections for the backrow.

Butler and Hooper are fighting for the last spot, and that will inturn determine where Colby plays.

However as good of a player as Butler is supposed to be, Hooper will almost have to be there as he is the only genuine scavenger in the squad now that Gill is not on tour.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As Lee mentioned earlier, Fainga'a and Hooper would both be certain starters.

Aside from Fainga'a being captain, they're the two most experienced players in the squad after two seasons of Super rugby. They were also two of the standout Brumby forwards during the year.

Quirk would play 6, and Gill would be on the bench if he was still in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.