• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Re: Oz U20 squad

Lee Grant said:
Albert said:
Mr Grant

I thought Harry Bennett may have gotten a look-in. Do you know if he was part of the train-on squad? Good fly-half I reckon.

Yeah - he was never going to get ahead of those guys but I rate young Harry - always have since his school days.

Haven't seen him lately though. Maybe he's injured but otherwise he should have been playing first grade on a regular basis for Easts whilst young To'omua has been busy elsewhere. He's in the Tahs amateur academy so I expect that he has been injured and, if so, he had no hope of being picked anyway.

He has been playing 2nd Grade at Easts after originally being picked in 4th Grade in Round 1. He is too small and too quiet at this stage.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Lee Grant said:
That is not a good look is it? I will have to cross him off my list of players to watch.

He is a good kicker of the footy though and given time he will develop into a decent senior 5/8 in my opinion. Decent skill set. As you said though he needs to put on a bit of bulk.

I don't think that is correct that he got picked in 4th grade in Round 1. I am pretty sure he came back from injury about Round 4 or 5 and played 4th grade that day, backed up got on in 3rd grade and then backed up got on in 2nd grade. Was in 2nd grade the next week....

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Brumbies Guy said:
tranquility said:
It is highly likely that QLD will have all 9 representatives in the XV come the pointy end of the comp.

7 of which are almost assured.

Gill has a fight to get the 7, but I would not be surprised at all if he comes out on top - even though the other two have had super 14 experience.

Shipperley is the other, but I think he could easily be the 13 by the end of the comp.

Time will tell I guess.

Other random thoughts. Justin Turner and To'omua is an electric halves combo. Young tight 5, however massive and probably the best group of tight forwards we have taken to an U20s tournament. If they can neck up, could be reasonable outcome.

If not, definitely in the top 3

I reckon the tight five is the weakness again. They are big locks but they are fresh out of school and have not yet been hardened by a season of First Grade. The front rowers are very weak for mine - none of them have played a season of First Grade either. I don't know much about PAE but Sio is playing 2nd Grade, Roberson has struggled and will be in 3rd Grade when he comes back and 2 of them have been in Perth where I can't imagine they have had much hard football.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Eyes and Ears said:
I reckon the tight five is the weakness again. They are big locks but they are fresh out of school and have not yet been hardened by a season of First Grade. The front rowers are very weak for mine - none of them have played a season of First Grade either.

Stop reading my mail. :) :) :)

More seriously: you are right, and have agreed with what I wrote in this thread earlier on the matter - they will be better next year - though I believe PAE has played 1st grade in Brisbane, Anybody?

C

chief

Lee Grant said:
Eyes and Ears said:
I reckon the tight five is the weakness again. They are big locks but they are fresh out of school and have not yet been hardened by a season of First Grade. The front rowers are very weak for mine - none of them have played a season of First Grade either.

Stop reading my mail. :) :) :)

More seriously: you are right, and have agreed with what I wrote in this thread earlier on the matter - they will be better next year - though I believe PAE has played 1st grade in Brisbane, Anybody?

PAE has never started but has come off the bench for Sunnybank in Premier Grade

T

tranquility

He does have Albert Anae and Greg Holmes in front of him though!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

PS I missed this on first reading:

Eyes and Ears said:
The front rowers are very weak for mine - none of them have played a season of First Grade either.

Wrong - Salesi Manu has been starting for a top club this year - Manly. One of the reasons why they have been going well is because of their front row, and Salesi has been denying right shoulder when opponents have wanted it all season, and can start a wheel legally. If the Tahs don't give him a professional Academy spot for 2011 they are nuts because some other outfit will.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

With Manu having played top grade for Manly and Jones getting a bit of S14 time, there is at least some top flight experience in the tight five. Backrow will be awesome and interesting to see who they pick.

Looks like they could be a bit light for experienced 13's after Bennetts although I recall Mitchell playing there at schools level.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Lee Grant said:

Eyes and Ears said:
The front rowers are very weak for mine - none of them have played a season of First Grade either.

Wrong - Salesi Manu has been starting for a top club this year - Manly. One of the reasons why they have been going well is because of their front row, and Salesi has been denying right shoulder when opponents have wanted it all season, and can start a wheel legally. If the Tahs don't give him a professional Academy spot for 2011 they are nuts because some other outfit will.

Pretty sure I said "a season of First Grade" - Salesi has played the first 6 games this year after playing 2nd Grade last year.

T

tranquility

Re: 13

As previously mentioned in this thread, Kimani and Shipperley can play there at a pinch.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Eyes and Ears said:
Lee Grant said:

Eyes and Ears said:

Pretty sure I said "a season of First Grade" - Salesi has played the first 6 games this year after playing 2nd Grade last year.

They are U20's. If you expect all these young props to be starting First Grade round 1 the first year out of school you have high expectations. It's much harder cracking First Grade in the front row compared to the backs considering the time it takes to develop physically to match it with the older, seasoned row. For me Manu has been going great guns.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Eyes and Ears said:

You did too and I should have read more carefully. That's one to you mate.

Salesi, who was over 120kgs in school in 2008, played a few games in 1st grade from the bench after playing 2nd grade all of 2009, but he was closer to 18 than 19 when he started the 2009 season. PAE is just 18 years and 6 months now so you wouldn't have expected him to start in 1st grade.

As Brumbies guy said: you are not going to get many props starting in 1st grade in the year after leaving school so therefore they are not going to satisfy a requirement to have a full season of 1st grade under their belt when they are picked for an U/20 team in their 2nd year.

Salesi missed selection in the 2009 U/20s squad when the 3 props chosen were more than a year older than he was; so I guess the real question is: why aren't the lads who were a full year older than PAE and Sio in the 2010 squad? Why weren't Salesi's 2008 Oz Schools prop contemporaries: Rutledge, Brass, Feao, Matt Mafi and Josh Daley picked instead of the 2 younger blokes?

One can only assume that the selectors took the age difference into account and picked PAE and Sio anyway. They are very bloody good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's what I thought when I saw him almost a year ago for the first time; but talk is cheap. Let's see how he goes in the U20 comp and in senior rugby also after that when he's starting games in 1st grade for his club. Let's not give him the Beale curse which, to his credit, young Kurtley seems to be overcoming.

Sorry if that sounds a bit pompous.

T

tranquility

I think if anyone is going to inherit the KB (Kurtley Beale) hype it is Gill. However I don't think it will be a curse in his case.

Status
Not open for further replies.