• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scrubber

Re: Oz U20 squad

congrats to Schatzie as captain- kid has played some 6/8 s14 games and well plced to lead

T

tranquility

U21s competitions included, if you guys insist on being THAT guy.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

tranquility said:
U21s competitions included, if you guys insist on being THAT guy.

Big call including U21s

2005 U21 forward pack included:

Loosehead props
Pekahou Cowan, Benn Robinson

Hookers
Tatafu Polota-Nau, Geoff Abram

Tighthead props
Ben Alexander, Alex Walker

Locks
James Horwill, Pat O'Connor, Richard Stanford

Flankers
Deam Mumm, Julian Salvi, Shane Udy

No 8s
Leroy Houston, Ben Mowen

Very handy pack

T

tranquility

your right, that really is a good pack.

Lets hope we can be talking PAE, Peterson and Jones like that in a few years.

T

tranquility

anyway back to my original post.

it is probable that all 9 Queenslanders will be in the starting XV in the important stages of the world cup.

WE ARE RED

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

I had 7 Queenslanders in my 1st XV earlier in this thread but if Gill gets the 7 jersey and somebody else replaces a non-Qlder it will be 9. But there's only 9 in the team by my count and it would need one winger or fullback to play 13 to oust Tim Bennetts to have all 9 run on.

As always it will be a team dynamic that will be responsible for any success this U20 team has; whether they are from north of the Tweed, or south, will not signify on the scoreboard. And that dymnamic will have to start with the tight 5 where we have three 2009 schoolboys. These 3 youngsters are fine players but they will be more powerful U/20 players in 12 months time.

For the last few years I have highlighted the success of the Queensland Schools sides despite being younger, on average, than lads from other states. I advised Queenslanders not to be downcast as, eventually, the quality would come through.

To be honest some of the quality in 2010 has been unexpected compared to my hopes for the Reds 2 years ago. As I mentioned in the Grassroots section: Genia was not an outstanding schools player - at least in the annual tournament that I saw, the return of Davies was not expected, nor was the acquisition of the Fainga'a brothers from the ACT, nor their improvement from last year to this. I didn't think that Ioane would return and Higginbotham was not on my radar as an influential player. Weeks did not come into my calculations for Qld 2 years back and Simmons looked like a talented, athletic young man with no grunt whatsoever.

But I digress. The Reds have improved with young players coming through and a bit of serendipity that was due after so many years of unhappy events.

And there are more hot young Queenslanders in the U/20 squad who haven't been on the park in the S14 yet. And wait there's more: Chris Feauai who ran on for Oz Schools last year (and is still at school now), plus Mitchell Felsman and Simon Morahan both from Oz A schools, are all exciting outside backs who will be knocking at the door. There is also an exciting TSS wing/fullback who is likely to play for Qld I this year and is a goal kicker: Lindsay Crook. He's the only one I haven't seen but he runs sub 11 sec 100Ms on the track and is said to be a likely candidate for Oz 7s in 2011.

It's all good for Qld in the coming years but it may be a case of too many back 3 eggs in the pudding. Some of the young fellows may decide to head south or west - not because it's their first choice but because they see a roadblock in front of them at the Reds.

Nobody could blame them if that is the case, and being loving, caring people, the Tahs would make one or two welcome. We're that kind of people.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

The team plays a trial against Argentina this weekend before the actual championships start, so we will see the combinations then I guess?

T

tranquility

LG,

part of that 9 was Dominic Shipperley playing 13. He is interchangeable in either position.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

TOCC said:
will this be broadcast in australia at all?
Don't know about the trial game but I think we will be getting some feed from ESPN, although perhaps none of the OZ pool games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yeah I think I heard we might get 2 or 3 pool games, none of Oz, and then the finals (I think).

IRB site says they are still negotiating though

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

tranquility said:
part of that 9 was Dominic Shipperley playing 13. He is interchangeable in either position.

Didn't know he played there. My memory of him was just from his school days. If he does start at 13 and Gill gets the 7 jersey it will be 9 then. Wow.

The Oz coaches will mix and match in the upcoming trial game and the first two pool games against Scotland and Tonga.

No great attention should be given to selections in those matches as everybody will get a run in 2 games but the 15 and 22 chosen to play the Saffers will be the real deal.

T

TOCC

I don't care which state they are from, as long as they perform well

I have also heard that shipperly is a potential 13, he looks bigger then his stats indicate

T

tranquility

Kimami is also play 13 for souths premier grade.

Now that I think about it, our tight 5 last year consisted of Slipper, Anae, Fitzpatrick and Simmonds and we still got towled up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Yeah those Saffers, Pom and Kiwi U/20 forwards played like men and ours played like 19 and 20 year olds.

For those Aussie forwards who get into S14 squads, they will catch up in physical hardness of lads from other nations after a year or two in a professional environment, but they don't have the innate bash and barge attributes and ball winning fixation that other top nations have - and too often we see that in the senior ranks also.

One of these years I will be silenced on this matter in relation to our U/20 team, our Super teams and our national team. It is too late for our Super players but I hope the the other two outfits can give me a considerable amount of cyber egg on my face this year.

It will be delicious.

A

Albert

Mr Grant

I thought Harry Bennett may have gotten a look-in. Do you know if he was part of the train-on squad? Good fly-half I reckon.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Albert said:
Mr Grant

I thought Harry Bennett may have gotten a look-in. Do you know if he was part of the train-on squad? Good fly-half I reckon.

Not a chance behind To'omua, Coleman, Lance

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Albert said:
Mr Grant

Yeah - he was never going to get ahead of those guys but I rate young Harry - always have since his school days.

Haven't seen him lately though. Maybe he's injured but otherwise he should have been playing first grade on a regular basis for Easts whilst young To'omua has been busy elsewhere. He's in the Tahs amateur academy so I expect that he has been injured and, if so, he had no hope of being picked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.