• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Not to sound mercenary about this, but will we get bundled out soon enough to get players back for the tahs?

They play on Wednesday and if they lose it's a 30ish hour flight back home. I doubt it.

Who would you want back other than Kingston anyway? Not a drastic loss.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely not.

Cross may not be as elusive but he's one of the strongest players in contact. Kingston is a 19 year old that is not up to the physicality of Super rugby - yet. Cross is solid defensively and rarely makes mistakes. Limited yes but he's our best centre right now and I honestly don't mind him as much as some people.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Surely Gill should be released this week to play for the U20's QLD do not require him and he has done enough preparation with the U20's too not disrupt too much.. It would seem logical.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Surely Gill should be released this week to play for the U20's QLD do not require him and he has done enough preparation with the U20's too not disrupt too much.. It would seem logical.

Heh, heh.

While he is clearly preferred over Pocock and as some have said the clear alternative to Elsom as captain for the wallabies, it's not clear he would run on for the u20s. It's a conspiracy.

More saliently, would he be allowed under tournament rules? Would he be any good on Wed night if he left on Monday? Not great prep, 30hrs in transit, poor guy just did the loop a couple of weeks ago.

In short, heh heh.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I got up and watched this, this morning.

My first impression of the match and I think it still holds is that our problem is between 9 and 10.

Both our halfbacks got bullied at the ruck base and in contact and were too slow delivering the pill. However without naming him, our flyhalf is just not up to it. His passing was woeful, behind the man, too flat, too late (not giving out runners time to pick and line and catch the ball.) I would be very interested in seeing a stat of backline moves completed, because I think we dropped more first phase ball than we caught.

Pretty difficult stuff to watch, the forwards however did some good things. Hooper was great, Siliva did some good stuff, PAE too. Peterson didn't look good to me, he looks overweight - not half as good as he was last year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a backrow of 6. quirk, 7 Hooper, 8 Buter but I know that can't happen. Colby is a damn fine player, but i just think the balance wasn't right.

I don't often disagree with you Tranq, but on this occasion I think you are wide of the mark. The basic tenet in rugby is to get the forwards rolling forward and then take advantage. Show me a ten that goes well when his forwards are on the back foot. While Hooper did well around the field we missed Gill on the ball. I was hoping our forwards would do much better than they did, especially in the tight stuff. The indicator of forward dominance is turnover ball, lineouts, scrums and ruck and maul. We turned over way too much. We couldn't hang onto the pill when we did win it. Frustrating. I don't think the 9 and 10 were to blame at all. To blame them is a cheap shot and glosses over more serious deficiences. They have to play NZ at some stage, bring them on now!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I thought that we made a mistake by picking a light weight backrow against a very big pack like France. Having two opensides is a luxury, it will not work against a team with a big, strong pack. That was where we lost the game IMHO.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I thought that we made a mistake by picking a light weight backrow against a very big pack like France. Having two opensides is a luxury, it will not work against a team with a big, strong pack. That was where we lost the game IMHO.

Who are these big backrowers you want playing? We don't have any monsters in the squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't often disagree with you Tranq, but on this occasion I think you are wide of the mark. The basic tenet in rugby is to get the forwards rolling forward and then take advantage. Show me a ten that goes well when his forwards are on the back foot. While Hooper did well around the field we missed Gill on the ball. I was hoping our forwards would do much better than they did, especially in the tight stuff. The indicator of forward dominance is turnover ball, lineouts, scrums and ruck and maul. We turned over way too much. We couldn't hang onto the pill when we did win it. Frustrating. I don't think the 9 and 10 were to blame at all. To blame them is a cheap shot and glosses over more serious deficiences. They have to play NZ at some stage, bring them on now!

Que?

U

Upright

The whole backline cohesion was off. I do agree they need to run better lines, but it IS THE JOB of the 10 to run the show.
The forwards weren't as bad as you are making them out to be, apart from the line-out.
The backline defending was also horrible, the amount of times Kingston and the 12 got caught out by their opposite numbers I lost count.
Agree. The ability to defend is the core requirement of a centre.After watching the France game it is evident that at the moment neither the 12 (Apo) or 13 (Kingston) understand how to do it. That should not be a surprise as I remember Apo being shown up defensively in the Oz Schools game v NZ Schools last year. Volavola does not offer much in the way of defence but his flankers should be helping there. Outside of PAE, Silvio and Hooper (our stand out) our boys sadly were not up to it.Our two locks were poor and agree that Kimami doesn't seem to know what is happening when he doesn't have the ball in hand. That said full marks to the French they deserved their win. Hopefully the boys can find something for the game against NZ - I am tipping an Oz win against the odds!

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The French defence was the difference for me. Their aggression turned over lots of our ball in the forwards and the backs were bustled and bashed.

Our 10 was very poor. Too many slow hospital passes to his outside man which meant that the ball rarely got passed mid field to our quick outside backs.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Fair call Upright. It's funny that probably not enough credence has been given to how well the French did play. They played with flair and commitment and thoroughly deserved their win. Not too many of our guys can hold their head too high. Interesting that you picked Saliva. He made some great busts but didn't secure the ball to continue the thrust

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was quite depressed about the performance of the Oz lads nothwithstanding the credit that should go to France.

A few have talked about the backs but the main problem was that Oz didn't get over the gain line around the rucks. We have some big lads but they are not playing big: much too watchy and not enough making things happen. They can show a bit of skill with the ball but I want to see a bit of mongrel getting or retaining the ball. Get stuck in lads

Peterson is one of the big boppers and he will struggle to be right for the game against the Kiwis. He hasn't had a great year to date but he is a fine young player and will come good sometime. Siliva is suspended but Roach is a young tough nut and should be throwing to the lineout better than Siliva anyway. Get that lineout fixed guys including the choreography and the calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.