• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
-Line out struggled

That's an understatement, our lineout was woeful for most parts. After about 3-4 lost in a row they had to resort to lifting Quirk and Fainga'a just to start securing some ball. It was surprising because I thought with Peterson and Jones it would have been one of our stronger points.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That's an understatement, our lineout was woeful for most parts. After about 3-4 lost in a row they had to resort to lifting Quirk and Fainga'a just to start securing some ball. It was surprising because I thought with Peterson and Jones it would have been one of our stronger points.

I don't know who was calling the line-outs but sometimes we didn't even get a jumper up. Which is worrying when you have two giant locks to use (how fucking big is Peterson).

They went to the back alot even after messing it up a few times, Quirk up quickly at the front should of been the primary option

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

The lineout was also poor in the tournament last year even with all this tall timber. Whatever coaching and practising they do is obviously not working.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Peterson is 6"10 I believe, or close to it, and about 120Kg's.
We are always going to be behind the eight ball because we have no real lead up to the tournament. We don't play anyone, it's all just a few training runs. Europe have a much better build up. Continuity and knowing your fellow players is indictive of a team playing well together, particularly under pressure.

T

tranquility

I got up and watched this, this morning.

My first impression of the match and I think it still holds is that our problem is between 9 and 10.

Both our halfbacks got bullied at the ruck base and in contact and were too slow delivering the pill. However without naming him, our flyhalf is just not up to it. His passing was woeful, behind the man, too flat, too late (not giving out runners time to pick and line and catch the ball.) I would be very interested in seeing a stat of backline moves completed, because I think we dropped more first phase ball than we caught.

Pretty difficult stuff to watch, the forwards however did some good things. Hooper was great, Siliva did some good stuff, PAE too. Peterson didn't look good to me, he looks overweight - not half as good as he was last year.

I wouldn't mind seeing a backrow of 6. quirk, 7 Hooper, 8 Buter but I know that can't happen. Colby is a damn fine player, but i just think the balance wasn't right.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Who are the other 10's in the squad apart from Volavola? He was pretty poor. Maybe move Safoiloi to 10 or Matt Lucas (who plays there for Sunnybank). The inside center offered little as well. As Tranq said, the big problem was 9 and 10, and I don't think the centers helped them either. I suspect some changes will be made in the backs.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
our flyhalf is just not up to it. His passing was woeful, behind the man, too flat, too late (not giving out runners time to pick and line and catch the ball.) I would be very interested in seeing a stat of backline moves completed, because I think we dropped more first phase ball than we caught.

James Ambrosini was a massive loss in the lead up to the first game, he would have been 1st choice 10 no doubt.

T

tranquility

James Ambrosini was a massive loss in the lead up to the first game, he would have been 1st choice 10 no doubt.

Is that what happened?

I would like to see young Morahan in the side for the next game, either at 12 or 15. Not to be rude to the bloke, but any other option would be better at 10. Rohan Safoili would be much better.

The amount of dropped ball was atrocious. I don't think it was wet either.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Volavola looked good. Problem was the forwards who kept losing the ball in contact and the outside backs who couldn't catch.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Volavola looked good. Problem was the forwards who kept losing the ball in contact and the outside backs who couldn't catch.

Not sure what game you were watching, but he looked really out of sorts. Not helped by the half backs and the two centers.

T

tranquility

Look at where the outside backs are receiving the ball. Because the passing is so flat, it is dictating the lines the players have to run and because of this they are getting smashed as they get the ball, or worse yet not be able to grab a hold of the ball before contact. There is also the obvious examples of passes going behind the player.

I also worry about Kimami. He is so damaging with ball in hand, but he has little footy instinct.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Volavola was throwing good passes in front of the player. His team-mates let him down. They have to learn to hang onto the ball and run better lines.

The game was lost in the forwards anyway. Wouldn't have known there were 4 guys in the pack that had played Super rugby. They were completely outplayed by their opposites. Fainga'a was especially poor, I've seen all of them play better so I'll put it down to a poor night. They're going to need to be a thousand times better to trouble the Kiwis.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Volavola was throwing good passes in front of the player. His team-mates let him down. They have to learn to hang onto the ball and run better lines.

The game was lost in the forwards anyway. Wouldn't have known there were 4 guys in the pack that had played Super rugby. They were completely outplayed by their opposites.

The whole backline cohesion was off. I do agree they need to run better lines, but it IS THE JOB of the 10 to run the show.
The forwards weren't as bad as you are making them out to be, apart from the line-out.
The backline defending was also horrible, the amount of times Kingston and the 12 got caught out by their opposite numbers I lost count.

T

tranquility

Lets hope it is the wake up call they needed to spring into gear. Maybe a few changes in the pack and backline as well. France looked good though, didn't they?

W

waves

I thought Volavola played well, Kingston and Latunipulu didn't give him options at all. Meaks should've got a run against the frogs Latunipulu looked like he was running on one leg at times. Also forwards did drop a lot of ball running of Volavola I think against NZ we need size in our backline and pack because they will just simply out power us especially in mid-field.

1. S Sio
2. S Siliva
3. P Alo-Emile
4. G Peterson
5. L Jones
6. C Fainga'a
7. M Hooper
8. E Quirk
9. E Brendenhann
10. B Volavola
11. T Kingston
12. B Meaks