• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to Fagan in today's Crimes the Brumbies will have the right to hold onto Hooper and Fainga'a for the last two rounds if they wish as they've met the minimum playing time this year...

They've also ruled out chasing George Smith if both players travel with the U20's...

I'd love to see Smith back for even just a couple of games... It would give the Canberra fans something to go see...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Strong forward pack and decent backs. Just noticed Lima Sopoaga is eligible for NZ, he'll be a real handful for Ambrosini and Latunipulu if they are to be the 10/12. They're in with a real chance this year though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Just looking at the positions so I can work out who missed out (positions won't be exact.):

1. Scott Sio, JP Pradaud

2. Siliva Siliva, Hugh Roach

3. Paul Alo-Emile, Tim Metcher

4/5. Blake Enever, Luke Jones, Greg Peterson

6. 7. 8. Colby Fainga'a, Jarrad Butler, Liam Gill, Michael Hooper, Eddie Quirk

9. Eddie Bredenhann, Matt Lucas

10. James Ambrosini, Ben Volavola

12. Apo Latunipulu, Joel Faulkner

13. Tom Kingston, Tevita Kuridrani

11/14/15 Simon Morahan, Rohan Saifoloi, Dom Shipperley, Kimami Sitauti,

Who missed out:

From last years team: Damon Anderson (operation)

Others include:

Stephano Hunt, Jack Kimmence, Sam Talakai, Ted Postal, Ethan Ford, Miles McCaffrey, Jason Seage, Mitch Felsman, Jason Havea, Nic Stirzacker, Jake Woodhouse plus Boyd Killingworth (injured)

Looks like Rohan Saifoloi will be used as a fullback as Ash indicated, though he did play flyhalf for the Junior Tahs against Fiji and the Oz Baas - and for the Oz U/20 wannabies v. the Hawkes Bay Academy.

I forgot Tim Metcher. He played for the Runners against the Junior Tahs and opposed Tetra Faulkner when Jono Owen went off early in the game, and didn't do too badly.

T

tranquility

Quoting Lee Grant,

"The other two backrowers have had considerably more Super game time in the last two years than Gill, who has had only minutes this year. Even though the youngest of the three is arguably the most skilful, Quirk could start at 6 in crunch matches, and Hooper move to 7 ahead of Gill. This would add a bit of backrow grunt. Oz did not lose to the Kiwis in the final last year because of a lack of skill."

I would be very surprised if Liam is not the first choice 7 for the bigger games. Last year as the youngest player in the comp, he was one of the best players running around. Clearly the best 'jackal' merchant that I saw. I think Quirk will be the first choice 6 as he is a prototype blindside, but he also adds a little fire to the pack (literally and hypothetically ha ha). Colby will probably be the first choice 8 man and if that is the case I think that is a quality backrow. I will say however that Jared Butler has been getting rave reviews in Premier rugby up here, and is being talked up for a spot in the main squad next year. If we can rotate these 5 effectively we should be able to combat the blokes from across the ditch at least at the breakdown.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I believe the backrow should be Quirk, Gill, Fainga'a. I really think Gill is far superior to Hooper, it's just Liam has been behind one of the best performing rugby players in the country for the Reds that he hasn't got as much game time. Quirk adds that mongrel and is a tough hard hitting player. That being said, Hooper and Buttler would definatly fit into that backrow aswell. That's a pretty solid side on paper. That back 3 looks very strong also

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
You could be right trank: there is no bigger admirer of Gill than myself, but I bet you guessed where I was coming from:

1. Hooper and Colby have had two years of Super rugby and started in many games against large human beings and Gill hasn't.

2. The problem last year in the final was not enough grunt against powerful opponents. Hardness was missing more than skills.

But after a few games Nuci will be able to work things out. I know that Gill played well last year whereas Hooper went home injured early.

I could do a rebuttal of what I have written as well as anybody and better than most. I just made a call.

T

tranquility

I hope I just don't know them that well, but the inside backs look a little weak compared to other years.

Eddie is a Churchie boy and supposedly a strong all round player. Mat is a creative player, doing good things for sunnybank. He also played premier rugby straight out of school, so he is obviously a talent.

I don't know anything about either of the 10s.

I think Apo will be fantastic in the future, and I am hoping he can be a dominant crash bull option - although this year may be one year too soon for him.
Joel Faulkner has been playing primarily on the wing for the Tigers and has been going competently without setting the world on fire. Like Lucas he did play Premier in his first year out of school.

Few ??? marks there I think.

past year players have included; Genia, Quade, Tapuai
Turner/White, To'omua, Robbie Coleman etc

What happened to that WA flyhalf? I thought he was supposed to be a freak. Kyle somebody?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Kyle Godwin Tranq, reserve 10 for the aus schoolboys in 2009 behing Rohan.

Surprisingly this is quite a poor year for inside backs compared to the previous years.

No guns from the 08 schools team have made it, Cam Mitchell too old and injured, Coleman too old, Stef Hunt has according to Lee lost it a little bit (not that he started for the 08 schools team), Nicky Price has returned from the AFL but not been as good as he potentially could have been.

Eddie Brendenhan churchie 9 that beat Nudgee in 07, goal kicker for them that year as well but haven't seen him play much. Would like to see Rohan at 10 and Simon Morahan at 15 from what i've seen they are both on their way to being starters at their respective teams.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I hope I just don't know them that well, but the inside backs look a little weak compared to other years.

Eddie is a Churchie boy and supposedly a strong all round player. Mat is a creative player, doing good things for sunnybank. He also played premier rugby straight out of school, so he is obviously a talent.

I don't know anything about either of the 10s.

I think Apo will be fantastic in the future, and I am hoping he can be a dominant crash bull option - although this year may be one year too soon for him.
Joel Faulkner has been playing primarily on the wing for the Tigers and has been going competently without setting the world on fire. Like Lucas he did play Premier in his first year out of school.

Few ??? marks there I think.

past year players have included; Genia, Quade, Tapuai
Turner/White, To'omua, Robbie Coleman etc

What happened to that WA flyhalf? I thought he was supposed to be a freak. Kyle somebody?

James Ambrosini is a very solid 10 tranquility I wouldn't underestimate him. He was the Aus Schools 10 when they beat NZ, keeping out Robbie Coleman, and has shown every good form since.

T

tranquility

James Ambrosini is a very solid 10 tranquility I wouldn't underestimate him. He was the Aus Schools 10 when they beat NZ, keeping out Robbie Coleman, and has shown every good form since.

Perfect. That what I hoped to hear.

T

tranquility

Would like to see Rohan at 10 and Simon Morahan at 15 from what i've seen they are both on their way to being starters at their respective teams.

Going well, but neither are very close to making their respective super teams. First XV that is anyway.

T

The Blindside

FYI, Michael Ala'alatoa ex Newington First XV in 2009 has been selected to play for Samoa, following in his fathers footsteps.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You would think with a name like that he would have strong French roots. He is a big lump of a lad and pretty sure he is of Samoan heritage.

Good to see Tevita Kuridrani after playing for Fiji last year.

I would think Stephano Hunt might get a run for Samoa.

A few of the Sunnybank boys are in the Fiji squad, Michael Turner, Teti Tela etc..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Some thoughts since my last:

I didn't have time to watch Saturday's Southern Districts v Gordon TV game until last night.

Volavola had a cracking game for Southerns: much better than when I saw him for the Junior Tahs. But he still looks like one of those rangy outside backs that schools coaches sometimes play at 10 because they're the best footie player in the school, but afterwards they play further out as senior players. This leaves me a bit uneasy; so I hope that Ambrosini is going well up north.

Saifoloi had a cracking game also - at fullback, but his goal kicking was very poor and the worst I have seen him kick. Since Volovola was not given a crack at the job he must be no great shakes either. If Saifoloi's goal kicking is taken away his chance to be the principal starting fullback will be compromised though he will bring value on the bench to cover 10, 15 and also wing, where he has popped up for the Juniors in games. I still hope that he is considered as a starting flyhalf, though it is unlikely with the other two in the squad also.

I hope that Ambrosini and Eddie B are kicking goals well.

12. Apo, who played for 2010 Oz Schools, has been playing Ones a bit this season for Southerns but was in the Twos last Saturday. As soon as he came on from the bench in the Ones he opened up Gordon 3 times and looked like a mature player - and yes, he passed the ball.

Not to the point but: look for Apo in the Tahs pro academy next year.

Somebody mentioned Kyle Godwin of WA, who missed out. He was back east with the whole Force stable in January and played for Force A v the Runners at TG Milner in a heat wave. He had a terrific all round game but got a serious looking shoulder injury. Never mind: he is quite young and will still be eligible for an U/20 gig next year.

T

tranquility

In reality queensland has produced atleast 15 of those players, even though only 11 are announced because that is where they are contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.