• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
L.....We've got some very, very good up and coming youngsters in the system. ..... Very good performance by the youngsters.

Yes!! Isn't it great to see this at work, in the tough comp the U20 worlds is. If we can now just lift the overall, aggregate quality and depth of our Wallabies and S15 coaching capabilities, the outlook for Aus rugby in say 2012 - 2015 could be outstanding, both in terms of absolute standards and the type of play and W-L ratios that will re-build the fan base and sport market share in Australia we so badly need.

T

tranquility

First of all what a fantastic match.

I jotted down a few notes;

Gill- Incredible. His turnovers were like nothing I have seen. No matter how hard to try, no-one will be able to keep him out of a Red jersey next year.

Battye - Thought he used his size well. Big, strong however still very clumsy. He is further developed than I thought he might be however.

Peterson - All of LGs comments were justified. Looks an outstanding prospect. Doesn't shirk it either, even when Luke Jones came on with 10 to go, Peterson stayed in the TH lock position.

Morahan - Not his best game, still looked dangerous. Is not a fullback. That has to be painfully clear?

Shipperley - The line he ran for his second try could have easily won him the nickname 'the protractor'. first class

Shatz - Looked like a complete 8. He ran well, was athletic, linked well, he also looked like a bully playing with his contemporaries.

Coleman - I had never watched him play and thought it was a bad call having him in front of Jono. Wrong. This kid is fantastic and kept us in the game in the early exchanges when SA were running white hot.

Our scrum was also dominant, which is great to see. The entire front row were outstanding and the entire forward pack played like a real forward pack. Gasp.
However we lost alot of ball in contact and failed to secure our own ruck ball very securely.
The counter-rucking was also pretty good.

Bring on the pommy's

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah good stuff tranquility.

Great to see strength across the park. The schools teams from the last couple of years have been decent and cherry picking the best ones from two years has resulted in a top U/20 team. There has also been some improvement since school days to fill in what could have been gaps of mediocrity. 2. Silivia, 4. Battye and 12. Coleman were hardly stellar schoolboy players and 6. Quirk and 8, Schatz didn't look like future professional players when I saw them in the Schools tournament (though that happens to good players more often than you think) - but look at them now.

Talk is cheap though. Let's beat England first.

G

Geeves

I thoroughly enjoyed the Aus v SA match. But in honesty the defence was suspect by both sides as illustrated by the high score but hell it was entertaining. With some great emerging talent on display by both sides. There was a lot of smart play with backs lining up against forwards and the backs letting their feet and distribution to create effective scything runs through the lines. Overall the skill level was very high and the competence, timing and professionalism had to be respected.

I didn't grab the SA names but their captain was very good and very quick. For the Aussies Tranquility did a great review but you left out To'omua who provided enormous leadership and guidance.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
It was a great game to watch but I don't think the OZ side can be that loose against England or NZ. A few too many turnovers in the game.

Having said that, there was plenty to admire. Coleman was man of the match for sure and shows a ton of pace for an inside back. All the backs were good with To'omua marshalling them beautifully. Well done to Shipperley on his hat-trick. Thought the reserve half, White, did very well when he came on. Great pity for Turner, I hope it's not too bad. The fact that he walked off is hopefully an indication it might not be too bad. If they do need to fly in a reserve, Breddenhamm from Sydney might be the go, although I would also think Prior from Qld Uni might be a chance.

The forwards, apart from giving up a little bit of loose ruck ball occasionally, were excellent. They showed great committment and generally outplayed the Baby Boks. Like everyone else I am impressed with Liam Gill. His fearlessness and speed to the breakdown is awesome.

have to ask, why wasn't Fainga'a in the 22, is he injured?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
No news of that speckie. Perhaps Nuci thought that they needed a bit of a madman to counter the young Boks, so they chose Quirk instead.

T

tranquility

In regards to not mentioning To'omua, it was merely an oversight because he played so well. He is so composed for an Australian flyhalf, and he knows his game inside out. There are some good 10s running around in this comp. The South African flyhalf looked capable of anything and the Kiwi version looks a fairly complete prospect as well.

I hope that Faainga comes off the bench, as the I liked the backrow in the SA game.

B

Boomy

Prior (Qld Uni) is heading over to Argentina. Looks like he's the replacement!

T

TOCC

im interested to know how many of these U20's are locked in for squads in 2011, academy squads and so forth

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These are all I know.

Luke Morahan - Reds contract
Kimani Sitauti - Reds contract
Dominic Shipperley - Reds contract
Jono Lance
Aiden Toua
Matt To'omua - Brumbies contract
Justin Turner - Force contract
Jake Schatz - Reds contract
Liam Gill - Reds contract
Colby Fainga'a - Brumbies contract
Luke Jones - Rebels Contract
Phoenix Battye
Paul Alo-Emile
Scott Sio
Salesi Manu
Sam Robertson
Cruze Ah-Nau
Greg Peterson
Ed Quirk - Reds contract
Nicholas White
Robbie Coleman
Greg Jeloudev
Lachy McCaffrey - Tahs Contract
Siliva Siliva
Tim Bennets
Cameron Mitchell

T

TOCC

thats a rather good shopping list of players there..

I wonder how many the Rebels have been speaking to, Paul Alo-Emile and Greg Peterson i imagine would be in high demand.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
These are all I know.

Luke Morahan - Reds contract
Kimani Sitauti - Reds contract
Dominic Shipperley - Reds contract
Jono Lance
Aiden Toua
Matt To'omua - Brumbies contract
Justin Turner - Force contract
Jake Schatz - Reds contract
Liam Gill - Reds contract
Colby Fainga'a - Brumbies contract
Luke Jones - Rebels Contract
Phoenix Battye- Brumbies Academy
Paul Alo-Emile
Scott Sio
Salesi Manu
Sam Robertson
Cruze Ah-Nau
Greg Peterson
Ed Quirk - Reds contract
Nicholas White- Brumbies Academy
Robbie Coleman- Brumbies Academy
Greg Jeloudev
Lachy McCaffrey - Tahs Contract
Siliva Siliva
Tim Bennets
Cameron Mitchell

T

tranquility

however being in an academy is not binding, so they are still free agents.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that was this year though BG. Academy contracts are basically up. Lance, Touai and TPN all had Reds Academy contracts this year. 2011 is another story though.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Noddy- I know the Brumbies 2010 academy players are still active here (Shute Shield players slightly less) and will be here going into next year until the 2011 squad is finalised. Not too sure on other teams arrangements.

Tranquility- I'm not completely sure they are exactly free agents. Academy players are still under a contract.

Either way, was just helping out TOCC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, but like Nathan Charles, they can get out of those contracts very easily for an upgraded contracts.

Cyril Towers (30)
Nathan Charles had a pro academy contract but was "loaned" by the Brums to the Force when they were desperate. At the time he was well down the pecking order at the Brums, playing off the bench for the Runners. Technically he is still contracted to the Brumbies until Oct 31. He has a full contract with the Force starting Nov 1.
Contracts go from Nov 1 to Oct 31 generally speaking.
I think pro academy contracts are binding, but not sure about amateur academy (which is really just an elite training squad).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah the mention of somebody being with a such and such academy doesn't mean anything. But as topo says: there are obligations if you are with the professional group of an academy, or as some franchises call it - Tier 1.

It works the other way around too: it's an indication that the franchise thinks you will be 1st cab off the rank for a S14 rookie contract the following year, if you keep your nose clean and do OK in the Academy games, and in club games later on, and you don't get gazumped by some gun player.

As topo says: you can be loaned out as a professional player, like Charles was to the Force or Sheehan to the Reds a few years back.

But if you are in the amateur group of an academy it doesn't really signify much.

Incidentally Peterson and Bennetts are in the Tahs pro academy and I expect Peterson to be upgraded to rookie S15 contract unless he's been poached.

Status
Not open for further replies.