• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

I missed the end of the broadcast. Did they say who was the one seed out of New Zealnd and Australia? Both ended on 15 points? Is PF/PA the tiebreak? The other two semi final teams are France in 3rd, and South Africa in 4th.

Didn't watch the rest of the broadcast. New Zealand becomes the number 1 seed on for and against. Only just though, mainly due to the easy teams. In a way I'm pretty glad for that, because I worry a game with South Africa again might just turn a different result.

1. NZ
2. Australia
3. England
4. SA

Semi's should be
NZ Vs SA
AUS vs ENG

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Game over, 42-35. Caught the last 20 mins, great finish. Gill and Quirk very impressive.

Our scrum was utterly dominant. Wonder how much two massive locks had to do with that.

Saw that too. Props were also the right shapes; brick-like

C

chief

Gotta agree as well. The scrums were very dominant. PAE, Siliva Siliva and Salesi Manu were fantastic, and looked very dominant.

What about Gill though, 17 years old and he was tearing the South African rucks apart.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Didn't watch the rest of the broadcast. New Zealand becomes the number 1 seed on for and against. Only just though, mainly due to the easy teams. In a way I'm pretty glad for that, because I worry a game with South Africa again might just turn a different result.

1. NZ
2. Australia
3. England
4. SA

Semi's should be
NZ Vs SA
AUS vs ENG

Cheers. Glad the Baby Boks are not playing England, who have knocked them out the last two years in a row in the semis. Disturbingly, this is the third year in a row the SA scrum at the u20s is shit. What happened to our fatties?

D

dbla

Just finished watching it then and must say nucifora is drilling the forwards well, some of the counter rucking in the game was absolute class and nice to see a south african scrum look so unsettled. Only real point of concern is the lineout as some of the throws looked a bit shoddy as well as the defensive lineout being non existant. All in all the under 20s look great with the ball in hand

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Would these young forwards like to teach the Wallabies a thing or two about aggression. They were bloody fantastic. In that player group, gee there are some bright futures.

C

chief

The Australian front row has seemingly got some wide media attention, featuring in the Planet Rugby Winners section. It was really remarkable achievement. Aus has some good up and coming stocks in the front row.

R

rugby_man

Liam Gill will play Wallabies within 2 years IMO. He is a great player who plays well above his weight and is extremely strong on his feet at the breakdown. We've got some very, very good up and coming youngsters in the system. That Kimani Situati was a handful everytime he handled the ball and he has learnt to pass the ball this time around, unlike when I saw him playing for Australian Schoolboys last season. Robbie Coleman has improved immensely since I last saw him play two years ago. Jake Shatz was impressive as usual, as were the entire front row combination of Salesi Manu, Siliva Siliva and Paul Alo-Emile. Very good performance by the youngsters.

T

TOCC

Agree that Liam Gill looks very good, its incredible to think he is still only 17, i gotta say i gotta admit i was slightly surprised he wasnt penalised more with some of his dubious ball pilfering.

His defence is of the highest quality, i havent seen much of him in attack, so unsure of how he performs as a link man, im assuming his not used as a battering ram considering his weight difference.

I would not at all be surpised to see him come off the bench at some point for the Reds in 2011, i think Link may hold him back from starting until he is a bit more physically developed, however i expect to see him given a shot later in a match.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Australia need to clean up their own rucks though, the SAffas did brilliantly at pinching junior Wallaby ball - especially the junior Bok number 6.

Robbie Coleman was impressive and showed a great turn of pace. Thought Morahan could have backed himself a bit more and used his size a bit more. He seemed hesitant at times.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Australia need to clean up their own rucks though, the SAffas did brilliantly at pinching junior Wallaby ball - especially the junior Bok number 6.

Robbie Coleman was impressive and showed a great turn of pace. Thought Morahan could have backed himself a bit more and used his size a bit more. He seemed hesitant at times.

Fastest member of the 2010 Brumbies squad

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Robbie Coleman proves you don't have to look athletic to be an explosive rugby players. He looks like a 3rd grader and plays like a future wallaby star. Love it.

Am I mistaken in suggesting he has played 9 in the past?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Robbie Coleman proves you don't have to look athletic to be an explosive rugby players. He looks like a 3rd grader and plays like a future wallaby star. Love it.

Am I mistaken in suggesting he has played 9 in the past?

Plays 10 and 12... but played on the wing a couple of games at last years tournament... i think the closest he's come to playing 9 would have been with aus sevens but that's obviously not your traditional 9

T

TOCC

Robbie Coleman was impressive, i thought Morahan(they keep calling him Monahan) was actually a pretty average, as pointed out he was hesitant and IMO made the wrong decisions at tiems

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was a bit surprised to see that Oz were playing England in the semi, but I immediately thought: what it Oz dominate the Poms in the scrums. Wouldn't that be sweet?

This Oz U/20 team is heaps better than the 2009 version; something I didn't predict before the tournament. We all knew that the Oz tight 5 was huge but size can only take you so far. It was the weight plus the aggression that made the difference. I waited for the time when the Oz team would flag, but it was they who finished the stronger.

Having seen all of these lads come through school I shouldn't have been too surprised at how well they played, but I have been disappointed so much before. There is strength in every position which is a combination of getting the pick of players from 2 strongish school years and players improving from their school days.

• 7. Gill didn't surprise me; as I have said before: he has star quality. He stills looks small but I will have to stop flying that kite until I see evidence that his smallness has negative consequences.

• The big front row did well and the surprise to me was hooker Siliva as I hadn't seen him play senior rugby. The Force have a good academy guy there though Macqueen will be bending his ear to come back to Victoria where he went to school. And isn't he TPNish around the ruck and doesn't he know how to whip out a wide ball to get the backline moving? PAE gradually asserted himself on the TH side but LHP Manu wasn't so authoritative until later in the game.

• The locks lived up to the hype of their dimensions and folks may see why I called Peterson a Vickerman at the schools level last year. Let's hope he gets somewhere near the ability of big Dan. Battye didn't disgrace himself either. None of the tight five were pot plants; they all tried to shift people and counter-rucked, and counter-counter-rucked. Therefore size did matter.

• A pity about Turner who has been plagued by injury since he left school and this looks like another long layoff. White was bloody good though. I wonder who they will send over as the reserve scrummie? Eddie Bredanhann who has won the Sydney Uni 1st grade spot would be my pick and he would still be eligible in2011.

• Matt To'omua went theough the motions in 2009 but was the experienced Super14 player this year as we expected he should have been, but I can't remember his kicking so well for goal before. The excellence of Coleman on attack using his pace was a surprise. I saw how fast he was for Oz 7s earlier but had forgotten that until I saw him speed along touch.

• Kimami Situati looks like he has a senior future at 13 after his stellar performances for Qld School on the wing in 2009, and it's good to see him passing the ball, which he didn't do last year. A Nuci master stroke?

• You can't argue with Nuci's switching of Morahan and Toua now as it worked but it still looks odd. Some coaches put a lesser defender on the wing so the touchline can help them but there wasn't much evidence that Toua is a bad defender. Good to see young Aidan is as slippery as ever.

• The other two back men Shipperley and Morahan proved how lethal they are. This was my first look at Shipperley since school and he hasn't lost his elusiveness.

• The negatives were the turnovers and too many dropped balls included in that figure. Also a lot of tries were leaked. You can excuse the ones scored down the flanks after breakouts when it's hard to cover the whole field but the ones through the midfield looked stoppable had the defence been configured right – but I haven't done a forensic examination yet.

• As for the South Africans: it was grand to see the Baby Boks being outweighed and out-muscled when it was ever the other way around. We knew how good 11 Mjekevu and 15 Lambie were from the Super14 but it was 10 Jantjies that took my eye. What a cracking player.

I'd rather be playing England than NZ in the semi. As usual the Blacks look powerful, alert, destructive and patient.

C

chief

You may think I'm prejudiced Lee, although I thought Situati had a good game, but I do get concerned that he does run away from his supporting forwards too much. He landed in touch once, and lost ball in contact on another occasion. Also the Boks turned the ball over due to Situati being isolated from his forwards. He's a very firm strong runner, and I do like the idea of him playing more inside the back line as well. I think #13 is really a great position that suits him magnificently, and it can only improve under Link this year and next.

I'm glad they are playing England, England U20's are playing like their senior team with a lack of flair and a decent boot, relying on a pedantic referee. With yesterday's referee he allowed it to flow which was the beauty of the game. Australia could be in trouble with a more harsher referee, as someone said, Gill might have been in trouble with his turnovers.

R

rhyso

I had the same reaction. He sliced them open a few times and made me think "that was pretty awesome for a guy who doesn't look awesome".

Something about him also made me think of Brett Papworth, not sure what.

R

rhyso

Well they're not getting any thinner. Wasn't some fucker 120kg?

Both the props were: Paul Alo-Emile is 120kg, allegedly, and Salesi Manu is 123kg. Siliva Siliva is only 110kg but frankly that name screams "I pity the fool" so loud it's worth another 20kg at least.

Marcel vd Merwe for the Boks was a huge unit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.