• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I hope that it's not the case that Nuci doesn't rate Toua. There could be a scenario whereby Nuci is waiting for Cam Mitchell to come right so that he can play 13 and Situati move out to Toua's wing spot, keeping Morahan at fullback.

That would not reconcile with reports that Toua has been smashing them in Brisbane club rugby in the 15 jersey, nor with opinions on this forum, but you never know: on selection issues Nuci never bothered conforming to the consensus of others.

B

Boomy

Scoring summary - http://www.irb.com/jwc/matches/match=11241/index.html

Quick Rundown
Australia - 9 Tries - 1 Penalty
Scotland - 1 Try - 2 Penalties

Matt To'omua - 1/1 Penalty - 5/9 Conversion
Aidan Toua - 3 Tries

Paul Alo-Emile - Yellow Card (67 min)
Jake Schatz - Substituted off early for Quirk (59 min)
Scotland - Used full bench

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That's a good win for the lads even though Scotland are probably not rugby U/20 powerhouses.

Am watching the France v Ireland game as I type this and neither side look particularly scary. Boring rugby and a penalty shootout in the first half but they are probably both a bit rusty.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
match report

Eastern districts winger Aidan Toua has scored two tries as the Australian Under 20s kicked off their IRB Junior World Championship campaign with an emphatic 58-13 victory over Scotland in their pool match in Santa Fe, Argentina on Saturday (Sunday AEST).

Coach David Nucifora’s side raced away to a 34-6 lead at halftime at Estadio CA Colon, and despite the comfortable margin at the break, the youngest team at the JWC did not lose any intensity and went on to record an impressive nine-tries-to-one victory.

Qantas Wallabies Spring Tourist Luke Morahan, U20s captain Jake Schatz, Melbourne Rebels recruit Luke Jones, Brumbies pair Robbie Coleman and Colby Fainga'a, and winger Greg Jeloudev also found the try line while Matt To’omua kicked five conversions and a penalty goal.

Australian U20s coach Nucifora was impressed with his young side’s performance and said Australia had escaped the match without sustaining any serious injuries, reporting only bumps and bruises.

“They played very well in the first half to get 34-6 up, we scored five tries before halftime and secured the bonus point which was really good,” Nucifora said.

“The team controlled possession really well, made the Scots make a lot of tackles and essentially, through being patient, opportunities came and we scored some quality tries.

“The conditions were really conducive to playing open football and that helped us.

“We’ve got a young group and it’s going to be a challenge to, I suppose, back up game after game. Hopefully we keep on improving and we’re good enough.”

Australia will play Tonga in their next pool clash on Wednesday in Parana. Tonga were defeated 40-14 by Pool C heavyweights South Africa on Saturday while New Zealand beat Fiji 44-11 and England defeated Argentina 44-22.

Australian U20s team that played Scotland (15-1): Luke Morahan, Aidan Toua , Kimami Sitauti, Robbie Coleman, Greg Jeloudev, Matt To’omua (vc), Justin Turner, Jake Schatz (capt), Liam Gill, Colby Fainga'a, Greg Peterson, Phoenix Battye, Paul Alo-Emile, Siliva Siliva, Cruze Ah-Nau. Res: Salesi Manu, Sam Roberson, Luke Jones, Ed Quirk, Nick White, Jono Lance, Damon Anderson.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, where do we watch these games?

Australia isn't listen in foxsports coverage yesterday or the coverage on Thursday.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
maybe irb website will have some clips? i don't know if they're showing the aus games either live or replay.

T

TOCC

last time they had video opdates on the website, however this year i think they have anew partner and they seem to be dragging the chain big time

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oz starts at about 7.17.

If this is the standard of vision for what we'll watching on foxsports tonight, I don't think I will be able to last the match.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So, how/where can we watch the Australian U20 team play and what time is their next game?

A fox sports stream would be good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this one is all about the irb and what they have negotiated with their tv partner. Basically all we will see, or at least the only games being broadcast (and I think foxsports are showing these) are:

5 June

Pool B 14:10 France v Ireland Rosario
Pool B 16:10 Argentina v England Rosario

9 June

Pool B 14:10 England v Ireland Rosario
Pool B 16:10 Argentina v France Rosario

13 June

Pool A 14:10 New Zealand v Wales Santa Fe
Pool B 14:10 England v France Rosario
Pool B 16:10 Argentina v Ireland Rosario
Pool C 16:10 South Africa v Australia Santa Fe

17 June

Semi final 1 14:10 2nd v 3rd seed Rosario
Semi final 2 16:30 1st v 4th seed Rosario

21 June

Third place play-off 16:45 Loser semi 1 v Loser semi 2 Rosario
Final 19:10 Winner semi 1 v Winner semi 2 Rosario

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So if the South Africans are handy we will only see 1 Australia game all tournament? Fun.

If Fox Sports just had 1 or 2 channels even if they weren't always "on" they could screen everything. I mean, if you've paid for the Baba and U20 games anyway why not show them.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the fox tv guide, I can find NZ v Wales and England v Ireland and the semis + final, but not the aussie game, would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
03:30 pm - 05:00 pmMonday June 14 2010
Genre:
Sport Rugby Union

Screening Info:
Widescreen High Definition
Show Details:
Australia v South Africa. The IRB World Junior Rugby Championship in Argentina brings together the best Under 20 players from 12 nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.