• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

If Robbie goes who should replace him as Wallabies coach?

Who should be the Wallabies coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Do you think we're playing 'worse' footy than the Boks? Do you not watch their Tests?

Why compare us to the boks? We are wallaby supporters - we want the wallabies to aspire to play attractive and winning rugby. Who gives a crap if we are playing the same or worse than the boks in this instance?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why compare us to the boks? We are wallaby supporters - we want the wallabies to aspire to play attractive and winning rugby. Who gives a crap if we are playing the same or worse than the boks in this instance?

In absolute terms its not relevant but it is not unimportant in terms of seeing where we are at.
We beat England and they beat the AB's - that's not unimportant, albeit that (apparently) the poms played out their skins and the AB's not so.
How we are travelling against these teams is a reality check: we (me included) are beating ourselves up over the way the Wobs are playing. There's good reason for that - but - and its a big but - when all is said and done the AB's have just finished a long run at the very pinnacle: they may well be the best team ever!
Losing to them was not (is it ever?) a disgrace. I didn't like the way Dingo conceded this truism and its a pity that the English were the ones who took the Ab's down. But thats the wonder of sport.
Its what we do when we next play them now that aura of invincibility has taken a hit, that will be the test.
We must play them as if they're beatable and as if we can beat them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because people are saying they can't watch the Wallabies play 'boring' rugby yet I'm sure they watch Tests involving other teams who they consider 'boring'. I don't understand any of the attractive crap anyway, rugby is rugby.

T

TOCC

It's quite simple really... I don't want to watch a team who runs around like headless chooks making stupid decisions, dropping the ball, ineffective moves and persisting with a game plan which at times is quite obviously not working... I find that boring rugby..

I find scrums, kicks, rucks, mauls and lineouts entertaining if done effectively with a broader purpose.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Because people are saying they can't watch the Wallabies play 'boring' rugby yet I'm sure they watch Tests involving other teams who they consider 'boring'. I don't understand any of the attractive crap anyway, rugby is rugby.

It's not the boring part per se (though that is part of it), but the lack of skill and combinations, aimless kicking, messy set pieces and general game plan. What attracted me to watching and then playing rugby years ago was the sight of teams running the ball and we in Australia were just about the best in the world at it. Now we're not and it sucks.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Boring rugby, attracive rugby, blah blah blah. What ever rugby they play I just want to see them play it well with good and skillful execution. I don't want us bogged down with any perception of the rugby to play. Adjust the style to counter each team on its merrits and execute what ever that may be well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The considered opinion up north is that although Jake White would be the stand out candidate for the Scotland job but he'll hang on in Aus for a crack at the Wallabies job once Deans goes.

If Deans goes next year I hope it's not Chieka purely from the point of view I'd like to see him at the Tahs for more than one season as it's going to take a number of years to get real change there.

McKenzie seems to be the obvious choice but whoever it ends up being I hope that there is a through search process rather than a nod and a wink to the preferred candidate that it would be in their interests to apply.
I'm not sure you understand how the ARU operate.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm of the opposite view and would like to think that succession planning is already under way, with discussions already been had, to ensure there is a seamless transition.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Maybe you watch 7s then, lots of ball movement for you.

So you're happy to see the disorganised sloppy play we witnessed against Wales (for instance)? Or the abject display at Eden Park where we didn't fire a single shot? Can you honestly say that you enjoy seeing what is supposed to be the pinnacle of Australian rugby winning that ugly?

Maybe you should support England.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I enjoyed the intensity of both matches, the collisions are why I watch rugby. A win is a win in Test matches, no such thing as ugly wins.

The average Australian rugby fan is why we have a poor forward pack in this country.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Bullshit - the All Blacks game is built on forward domination. This doesn't stop their backline being enterprising and ambitious when they have the ball. Australian rugby has had plenty of periods when we have been both dominant in the collisions and fluid with the ball. Currently we do the former rarely and the later almost never.

Your comments suggest that those of us who want to see more enterprising play want the Wallabies to be frivilous with the ball. One of the biggest truisms in rugby is you have to earn the right to go wide. I am just as concerned with our lack of dominance in the forwards - something which has been a rot in Australian rugby for about 12 years now. But when we get a decent platform to play from I would like to see us at least demonstrate some cohesion and confidence in our backline play.

Maybe if you had argued that selectors took the wrong approach in trying to broaden the appeal of rugby to a wider, non rugby audience, I would at least agree in part. But very few 'average' rugby fans I know are happy with the current state of our forward pack so I dont agree in any way that it is our fault for the current malaise in forward play by the Wallabies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
^^^^^^^ What TSR said

Our great teams have had the solid foundation from the pack and creativity and skill in the backs. The two are not mutually exclusive. In my view we have neither right now. The pack have improved, but the backs have gone backwards.

T

TOCC

I enjoyed the intensity of both matches, the collisions are why I watch rugby. A win is a win in Test matches, no such thing as ugly wins.

The average Australian rugby fan is why we have a poor forward pack in this country.

Bloody hell I've heard it all now... The average rugby fan would love to see a forward pack which didn't back peddle in scrums or be smashed at the breakdown..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you mean that the general lack of interest in the hard stuff? or is it something else?

That one, people are disinterested in strong forward play, look at the Tahs 13 thread, Uni described as 'dour' because of their pack dominance. Scrums, lineouts, pick and drives, mauls aren't seen as interesting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That one, people are disinterested in strong forward play, look at the Tahs 13 thread, Uni described as 'dour' because of their pack dominance. Scrums, lineouts, pick and drives, mauls aren't seen as interesting.

I think you are selling most of us short. I say 'attractive rugby' - I mean that I want to see the wallabies excel in all facets of play. To be accurate, aggressive and sometimes adventurous. Not the mistake laden and aimless rubbish we have seen often this year (mostly from our backs, but sometimes from our forwards).

Smashing guys all over the pack. Holding the ball in the contact zone and cleaning out with speed and accuracy. Accurate and long kicking. Recognition of when a backline attacking opportunity presents and being able to leverage it. Performances like this have been few and far between - but it is what we should be aspiring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.