• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Highlanders v Rebels RD 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kurt Baker has history of a being a wanker. Who can forget what he did at the SA 7s last year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's been cited ^

those who don't know in the first place?

Well basically in the final vs SA in the Port Elizabeth 7s he taunted the opposition as he ran away for a winning try and then overly celebrated into the SA players faces starting a fight. Real douche.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's been cited ^

Well basically in the final vs SA in the Port Elizabeth 7s he taunted the opposition as he ran away for a winning try and then overly celebrated into the SA players faces starting a fight. Real douche.
well it will be really interesting to see how many weeks he gets, using the IRB logic in the Kurindrani case, you would think 8 - 12 weeks; taking out a player off the ball, tip tackle and driving him into the turf, so a slap on the wrist coming up

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Crazy to carry on so long after the ball had gone. The Judicial chocolate wheel outcome could be interesting given current events in Greco-Roman Rugby.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
I fine it amazing that something like that is not picked by at least one of the assistant refs. They should have a wide enough view to see that.

In Mcmahon's case Smith got up again but so did McMahon and ended up lifting him. Totally accidental but still a card. They need to be really tough on that but deliberate stuff like that from Baker should cause the book to be thrown at him

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
without wishing to blame the officials for the loss on friday, the rebels were once again their own downfall, the quality of the AR's input does have to be questioned in the light of the Kurt Baker citing.

the standard of the sideline officiating was poor. i felt the touch judges missed a number of more blatant offsides (highlanders and rebels) in the second half but penalised the rebels on two occasions which were really touch and go. the relevant touch judge referred the Leafa incident but missed the Stirzaker one, and anyway where was the penalty against the Highlander for loitering on the rebels side of the maul.

in reality the missed red/ yellow on Baker, probably did alter the outcome, and its not the first time this year Super teams have been let down by substandard officiating. i agree its a really hard job to referee, but the assistants are often just not up to the standard required. in effect they only have to watch out for straight throws at the lineout, offside, foul play and scrum infringements on the far side to the ref. not too much to ask is it ?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I fine it amazing that something like that is not picked by at least one of the assistant refs. They should have a wide enough view to see that.

The assistant refs were of the same standard as Chris Pillock.

Watching replays of the game, after having watched it at the stadium, the televised game did not show the number of times the rebels left overlaps. The Highlanders are one team that are pretty good at launching counterattacks and Ben Smith is pretty good at spotting an opening. His try in the 52 minute could have easily been scored in the opposite corner, there were overlaps to the left and the right. A poor kicking game and some sloppy handling near the goal line did not help.

Did not notice Baker's moment of madness at the time, only saw it yesterday. Highlanders will be happy there are no injuries in their squad at present so replacing him will not be as difficult as it could be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
well it will be really interesting to see how many weeks he gets, using the IRB logic in the Kurindrani case, you would think 8 - 12 weeks; taking out a player off the ball, tip tackle and driving him into the turf, so a slap on the wrist coming up

He pleaded guilty and got six weeks.

He received a discount from eight weeks based on a guilty plea and a good record.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
He pleaded guilty and got six weeks.

He received a discount from eight weeks based on a guilty plea and a good record.
last year kurindrani got 5 (8 + 1 - 4) for a clumsy but not deliberate tackle. i think this is a pretty light sentence considering. what do others think ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
last year kurindrani got 5 (8 + 1 - 4) for a clumsy but not deliberate tackle. i think this is a pretty light sentence considering. what do others think ?

His 6 weeks worked out at 8 + 2 - 4. I think it is about right.

10 weeks if he hadn't both pleaded guilty and had a clean record is not a light sentence.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
His 6 weeks worked out at 8 + 2 - 4. I think it is about right.

10 weeks if he hadn't both pleaded guilty and had a clean record is not a light sentence.
he didn't actually get 10 though, only 6 and i meant in the context of the 5 weeks Kurindrani got.

i think that all instances of dangerous play should be harshly dealt with, intentional (as in this case) very harshly. just pointing out the inconsistency in applying the rulings, 8 - 12 weeks is the penalty for a lifting tackle, he was given the lower not the upper end of the scale, thats all i am saying

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's a shocking decision. It was off the ball with clear intent. He picked Stirzaker up by the legs, tipped him past horizontal, then drove down with enough force to fall flat on his face himself. Given we've just seen some poor bastard paralysed from a similar, if arguably lesser, incident I really can't see how giving him a six week break is anywhere near acceptable. Ideally I'd be looking at something like 18 weeks, with a guilty plea and good record taking it down to something in the 12-15 week area. Six is a farce.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think 6 seems about right, not sure where all the driving down info came from, mind you I've only seen quick bits on the side of the screen, but regardless as I never been keen on Baker(not sure why, he just gets on my wick), I think he got what he deserved from what little bit I saw it, so guess I will have to leave it to the ones who have seen a better camera angle than me to suggest what it should of benn. Not that it make any difference. aoh and saying because someone got hurt badly in a tackle in another game should never make a difference to a sentence!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the penalty looks slightly lenient in relation to the Kuridrani suspension at the end of last year but I think 6 weeks is about right. Kuridrani should have got a couple of weeks less.

Everyone needs to remember that you get a reduction for both pleading guilty and having a clean record previously.

If he'd been suspended previously this would have been 8 weeks. If he'd challenged it, it would have been 10 weeks. Those are long suspensions.

6 weeks for a first offence is a long suspension and indicates that it was taken seriously.

The entry level for his offence was 8 weeks which is the mid range.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the penalty looks slightly lenient in relation to the Kuridrani suspension at the end of last year but I think 6 weeks is about right. Kuridrani should have got a couple of weeks less.

Everyone needs to remember that you get a reduction for both pleading guilty and having a clean record previously.

If he'd been suspended previously this would have been 8 weeks. If he'd challenged it, it would have been 10 weeks. Those are long suspensions.

6 weeks for a first offence is a long suspension and indicates that it was taken seriously.

The entry level for his offence was 8 weeks which is the mid range.

Except that in my opinion the offence should have been in the high range. A long way off the ball, lifted well above the 90 and driven down hard. That's the definition of high range for mine. If that's mid range then not much will ever be put in the high category.

Status
Not open for further replies.