• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Highlanders v Rebels RD 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any predictions? Highlanders coming off a belting from the Blues.

Rebels might be playing running rugby again?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I wouldn't count on it. Another first half of quality territory rugby before the players get sick of hating themselves, remember they can pass, and start to play properly again.

I'll be interested to see how Jones goes up against Thorn and Hoeata, properly hard men. Thorn, in particular, he can learn a lot from as an 'undersized' lock.

What do we all think about Pyle this year? The two times I feel like he's really got up and about was the second half of the Cheetahs game and the second half on Friday. I understand that teams will often have a tight and a loose lock, but I'm just worried that Pyle is becoming a bit of a flat-track bully. Looks great when we've got front-foot ball, but goes missing when things get slow and tough. Fair criticism, or a bit off?

Same team as last week I reckon. I don't think Stirzaker was as bad as some were saying last week, he about met my expectations given his injury layoff. Burgess was better off the bench, he played fast and angry, but I wonder if that might actually be his best role.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Same team as last week I reckon.

Depends on Toby Smith, thought Lahiff had his best game so far and Cruze was good off the bench. Loved Lahiff's fend on Moore.

With regards to Pyle, I agree he looks good when we are playing with the ball in hand and he gets some carry's. When were kicking he just seems like a spectator in the middle of the park.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Definitely his best game. I reckon he's starting to catch up to the pace of the game down here. He was blowing very, very, hard when he came off. I'd say Smith is the better player right now of the two, but is there not something to be learned from the Force debacle?

The boys have got a win, a huge win, give them a chance to back it up?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Definitely his best game. I reckon he's starting to catch up to the pace of the game down here. He was blowing very, very, hard when he came off. I'd say Smith is the better player right now of the two, but is there not something to be learned from the Force debacle?

The boys have got a win, a huge win, give them a chance to back it up?

Only suggesting 1 change not 6. But do agree with giving the boys a second chance. Smith has to be at least on the bench if available.

Blowing is a understatement from the big screen, he was very good though. Max's dad if your reading we where all impressed.

D

daz

With regards to Pyle, I agree he looks good when we are playing with the ball in hand and he gets some carry's. When were kicking he just seems like a spectator in the middle of the park.

To be fair, the entire team are spectators when we boot it away.

Pyle was very busy last week, in a good way. When he wasn't carrying he doing some great work at the breakdown. In fact, the whole team does sterling work at the breakdown which is a huge difference to previous years.

Mitch and Tamati were sensational on Friday. What a partnership they have made for themselves. Add certain future Wallaby Luke Jones, and Tom English to that as well, even if the poor kid did blow a certain try. I'm also a huge wrap for Scotty Fugli as well, and even Colby showed a nice hand.

I am still not overly impressed with Max yet. I know he was blowing and I know he "looked" busy, but there is a big difference between working hard and having an impact. For mine, the jury is still out.

The first half against the Ponies was, in my opinion, some of the worst rugby the Rebels had played. On a par with the worst in previous years and the only reason we were still in the game at half-time was that for some reason the Ponies came down to our level.

I know Woody got MOM, but his first half was fucking awful, along with Hegarty.

Stirzaker was mediocre at best. Understandable given his lay-off but the kid is not ready to start a team. It was no coincidence that the fightback really took shape when Burgo came on.

I haven't seen Burgo play angry rugby for a while but he was a man possessed last Friday; the fact is that he needs to be that intense for every minute he is on the park. He was properly bossing the team around, giving instruction, pointing to where he wanted the line to be, getting in the face of his team when they didn't follow the plan and setting the plays beautifully.

The second half was a complete 180. Play like that for 80 minutes and we will not only give the Highlanders a touch-up, but we will win far more than we lose.

The Rebels are a very dangerous team when they get a sniff. The trick will be having that sniff before the first kickoff and not always at the 60 minute mark!

Will they beat the Highlanders? I have no idea, and nor do any of you! It really depends which team turns up; the first 40 against the Ponies, or the second 40.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The perfect chance to actually implement the whole competition vibe though? Now McGahan can go to Smith and say sorry mate, not your fault you got concussed, but Max has given us no reason to drop him. We'll give you 30 minutes off the bench, if you want your starting spot back you'll have to earn it. Rather than swapping out half the team for no apparent reason, this is the sort of stuff that creates actual competition. Players realise there's depth in nearly all positions and if they drop out of the team they're going to have to fight like hell to get back in.

D

daz

I agree with that DD, but IMO Max has not done enough to take the jersey from Smith.

Not saying he doesn't try hard, but Smith is a better option right now.

Am I being unfair to Max? Am I not seeing what others can see?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
@daz

I haven't actually watched a replay yet, so my impression of Pyle was formed at the ground. Happy to take your word for it if you reckon he had a big game though.

Where do you come down on the whole player rotation thang? Give Stirzaker and Lahiff another game, or say sorry lads? I still don't understand why Stirz started - he was on a hiding to nothing after all that time off.

Edit -

On the Lahiff/Smith thing. I totally agree that Smith is the better player. I'm just trying to think from a team culture perspective. Is making Smith wait another week, and prove himself again off the bench, going to set a standard for performance that will still resonate in a months time, or will it just mean we lose to the Landers and get pumped in the scrum again? From my POV Lahiff is a talent who's struggling to catch up to the pace of the game, as well as the physicality at the breakdown. Smith is better, but I'm not sure that he's so much better that he should be parachuted into the starting team after a couple of weeks off.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Burgess would have to be the best 9 at closing a game in Aus, he was great doing for the Wobs, and was great for the Rebels.

I think he lacks urgency when starting at times, but his running and drive does great things at the end of games

D

daz

I haven't actually watched a replay yet, so my impression of Pyle was formed at the ground. Happy to take your word for it if you reckon he had a big game though.

Where do you come down on the whole player rotation thang? Give Stirzaker and Lahiff another game, or say sorry lads? I still don't understand why Stirz started - he was on a hiding to nothing after all that time off.

I thought Pyle was a bit invisible at the game, but when I watched a replay I could see that he actually did a lot of grunt work that normally goes unrecognised.

I thought Nic starting was an odd decision, as did most of us. However, he does have a role to play and long term, I can see him and Burgo sharing the role and possibly rotating in the starting team; both are good impact players.

Max will get better, no doubt at all and I am sure when he finally clicks he will be a monster. My problem is that he just isn't there yet. Off the bench is his best spot right now.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Just on breakdown stuff quickly, I know everyone is busy hopping on board the Jones bandwagon, but his breakdown accuracy has regressed since last year. I'm not sure if it's because his tank is even bigger than before and he's hitting more of them, but he's getting himself into weird, ineffective, positions and it's preventing him from both cleaning-out properly and protecting the ball from the counter-ruck. It's obviously not happening all the time, but enough that it's noticeable.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
just on the style of play in the second half. i wonder if there was a little palace coup at the break ? or did the penny finally drop ? either way they are a vastly better side when they run the ball

selections this week and the style of play may indicate which.

gus roberts at 10 anyone ?

D

daz

just on the style of play in the second half. i wonder if there was a little palace coup at the break ? or did the penny finally drop ? either way they are a vastly better side when they run the ball

selections this week and the style of play may indicate which.

I'm told that Coach Tony was extremely forceful, specific and brief in his one-on-one chats to certain players at half-time.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
No need to speculate, from the website this morning:

1. Toby Smith
2. Shota Horie
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Nic Stirzaker
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Male Sau
15. Jason Woodward
16. Pat Leafa
17. Paul Alo-Emilie
18. Cruze Ah-Nau
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Jordy Reid
21. Luke Burgess
22. Angus Roberts
23. Alex Rokobaro

Notably Colby and Kingston injured from last week being the forced changes, Shota starting and Lahiff dumped entirely which seems odd, thought he had a good game last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.