• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
One thing is certain. With the calibre of LaLa, Connor, Baldwin, Johnson, Bennett, Paila, Taavili and Vizer the backrow depth is great. I'm sure I've missed a few in naming those.

Get some big locks and I think things are going to go up another level.

Good to hear about Hoiles.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tovey and Parsons also very suitable.

Current Game plan does not suit huge locks but does require atheletic ones.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Tovey and Parsons also very suitable.

Current Game plan does not suit huge locks but does require atheletic ones.
One thing is certain. With the calibre of LaLa, Connor, Baldwin, Johnson, Bennett, Paila, Taavili and Vizer the backrow depth is great. I'm sure I've missed a few in naming those.

Get some big locks and I think things are going to go up another level.

Good to hear about Hoiles.
agree we need some size in the pack however dont think the current locks have been too bad for us

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Any contracted super rugby players coming back for the finals?

There is only Kepu (Wobs Camp/TRC), Beale (Shoulder surgery), and Mitchell (about to head off OS) isn't there?
Jake White has locked up the Ponies in John Dent Cup. I can't recall any Wicks with Rebels, Reds or Force.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There is only Kepu (Wobs Camp/TRC), Beale (Shoulder surgery), and Mitchell (about to head off OS) isn't there?
Jake White has locked up the Ponies in John Dent Cup. I can't recall any Wicks with Rebels, Reds or Force.

Hugh, I believe you're correct

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I notice Matt Carraro has joined the Waratah team in Argentina from his French club side.
I wonder if that means he'll be back at the Wicks next year, assuming he doesn't qualify to play this year.

tulls

Frank Row (1)
just looking at the forum, what were everyones thoughts on longfella/ Will 2 Fathers.

has he made improvements to show his new captain (Dean Mumm) back home?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
From the trials until his last game in seconds his work in the loose improved every week. At first he seemed like a big old fashioned pommy lock, im pretty sure I saw him win a line out without lifters. But as the season progressed he adapted to a game plan not really suited to his body type (smaller, more mobile pack)and made an impact around the field, not just the set pieces. like every player, there is always room for improvement, but importantly he showed he was willing to put the effort in to adapt and improve. I think any coach would be pleased with that.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
just looking at the forum, what were everyones thoughts on longfella/ Will 2 Fathers.

has he made improvements to show his new captain (Dean Mumm) back home?

Uses his height well in the lineouts and at the kickoffs, but needs to improve his mobility.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Improved performance from the Wicks today against one of the competition heavyweights and although soundly beaten in the end we were only down 25-19 with 20 minutes to go and the 4 try bonus point might just be enough to sneak us into the playoffs where I reckon we'll be competitive against whoever we play in the first week anyway.

The selection of Marc Koteczky at 10 made a big difference IMO.

Horwitz and Hepetema back next week but a position must be found for MK in 1sts. Maybe Lautolo back to the wing or Samu back to the pack.

Why the f.... does the coach keep persisting with Boileau as goalkicker with MK in the team?????????????????????

Big game by Tim Metcher who actually trialled with the Wicks when he first came to Sydney but left for Southern before the season started a couple of years ago. Money?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A lovely sunny day at Southern districts home ground saw some very entertaining rugby. Fourth grade was won by Wicks 35 -5 but most of their points came in the last twenty minutes. Souths were desperate at the breakdown and managed to disrupt any ball.
This disruption carried on in third grade where Wicks also got up 38-51. Special mention for the winger Wing Kee who can walk a tightrope down any sideline.
Souths in second grade were very up beat and with the score at 17-12 to Wicks , sths looked to be coming home well until a dubious intercept try by the 5 for wicks had them kick on to win 24-12. The Wicks were prevented from getting into gear by souths taking the metre on offer over the ball and causing any amount of disruption. A bit of old fashioned cleaning out at the breakdown is needed if the Wicks are to win against the heavyweights.
First grade was always going to be hard for the Wicks ,with the very large Sths pack ready to inflict pain. To their credit ,Wicks scored the first try and were well in the game after the first twenty five minutes as Sths were dropping ball .
Finally the real Sths stood up and scored on the outside after a set piece. This was followed up by another out wide after another set piece. At 15-5 the Wicks scored a very good try by Wright which was started by Asa on a barnstorming run from 65 metres out. half time saw the score at 15-12 to souths after randwick missed a sitter of a penalty at the bell.
The second half started well for Sths who must have had a decent talk in the bunker. Three points were quickly followed by a great try from Sths 13 following an inside kick from the wing. 25-12 and Wicks were looking done as they started to give up some tight heads but desperation in defence had Souths give the ball to Wright who ran half the field to score under the posts . At 25-19 souths must have wondered what they needed to do , so they went about getting more tight heads and the scrums had become a nightmare for Wicks. In fact the only way they were going to win a scrum was to take a lineout. scrums were becoming penalties and pretty soon the score was 31-19 and then 38- 19,followed by another try out wide to have the score at 43-19 with only 30 seconds on the clock. In a show of great attitude, Wicks got their fourth try after the bell to have the final score at 43-26.
Throughout the day souths had the better of the breakdowns and the Wicks would do well to consider a bit more weight at that point to ensure that any ball they take in stays with them.
Souths backs ran at speed and gave the ball width which was why most tries were scored by wingers in the corners. Wicks wingers had several two on ones against them which made their lives difficult.
The Uni score against Gordon must be a misprint , if not ,then get that yappies' waitress over quick.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Geez Uni are looking like a shoe-in. Hopefully Souths, Manly and Eastwood each get to have a crack at Uni in the finals consecutively as they are the only teams that I can see possibly having a chance.
Poor old Gordon. I hear that they'll have 3 colts teams next year and will post a profit this year - hang in there boys!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
A lovely sunny day at Southern districts home ground saw some very entertaining rugby. Fourth grade was won by Wicks 35 -5 but most of their points came in the last twenty minutes. Souths were desperate at the breakdown and managed to disrupt any ball.
This disruption carried on in third grade where Wicks also got up 38-51. Special mention for the winger Wing Kee who can walk a tightrope down any sideline.
Souths in second grade were very up beat and with the score at 17-12 to Wicks , sths looked to be coming home well until a dubious intercept try by the 5 for wicks had them kick on to win 24-12. The Wicks were prevented from getting into gear by souths taking the metre on offer over the ball and causing any amount of disruption. A bit of old fashioned cleaning out at the breakdown is needed if the Wicks are to win against the heavyweights.
First grade was always going to be hard for the Wicks ,with the very large Sths pack ready to inflict pain. To their credit ,Wicks scored the first try and were well in the game after the first twenty five minutes as Sths were dropping ball .
Finally the real Sths stood up and scored on the outside after a set piece. This was followed up by another out wide after another set piece. At 15-5 the Wicks scored a very good try by Wright which was started by Asa on a barnstorming run from 65 metres out. half time saw the score at 15-12 to souths after randwick missed a sitter of a penalty at the bell.
The second half started well for Sths who must have had a decent talk in the bunker. Three points were quickly followed by a great try from Sths 13 following an inside kick from the wing. 25-12 and Wicks were looking done as they started to give up some tight heads but desperation in defence had Souths give the ball to Wright who ran half the field to score under the posts . At 25-19 souths must have wondered what they needed to do , so they went about getting more tight heads and the scrums had become a nightmare for Wicks. In fact the only way they were going to win a scrum was to take a lineout. scrums were becoming penalties and pretty soon the score was 31-19 and then 38- 19,followed by another try out wide to have the score at 43-19 with only 30 seconds on the clock. In a show of great attitude, Wicks got their fourth try after the bell to have the final score at 43-26.
Throughout the day souths had the better of the breakdowns and the Wicks would do well to consider a bit more weight at that point to ensure that any ball they take in stays with them.
Souths backs ran at speed and gave the ball width which was why most tries were scored by wingers in the corners. Wicks wingers had several two on ones against them which made their lives difficult.
The Uni score against Gordon must be a misprint , if not ,then get that yappies' waitress over quick.
Thanks Sid. Think you nailed it.
Agree that it was an improved effort, pity about the score. Still a bonus point may end up getting into the finals.
Our discipline needs attention, the referee was caning us time after time. That has happened a bit lately. With the amount of penalties that went against us, the score could have been a blowout.
Our defence was strong. The 2 Timanis would not have felt that it was a picnic.
Our scrums terrible, we kept getting popped.
We are just about 10% of the pace at present.
See in Rugby News Wade has been re-signed for next year.
Up the Wicks!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks Sid. Think you nailed it.
Agree that it was an improved effort, pity about the score. Still a bonus point may end up getting into the finals.
Our discipline needs attention, the referee was caning us time after time. That has happened a bit lately. With the amount of penalties that went against us, the score could have been a blowout.
Our defence was strong. The 2 Timanis would not have felt that it was a picnic.
Our scrums terrible, we kept getting popped.
We are just about 10% of the pace at present.
See in Rugby News Wade has been resigned for next year.
Up the Wicks!

I thought the scrums were OK until Asa was replaced.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
I thought the scrums were OK until Asa was replaced.
All quiet on the Russian front are we praying? If my math serves me correctly i think Horwitz and Heptema are available this is good news we will give them a run for there money, uni that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.