• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Another great day at coogee with fine weather and a reasonable crowd in the afternoon.
Fourth grade won by Norths . Wicks came back but too little too late 20-17 to Norths
Third grade the wicks got off to a slow start but came home in the second half to win 64-24
Second grade were 28-0 up before Norths came back at them. Norths were beaten by kicking to a strong back line with the 14 for wicks carving them on returns. The 10 and 7 also had stand out games. Final score was 59-12
So far it seemed that Norths were predominantly kicking high or kicking long and then chasing well through the grades so the same would be expected in the firsts and so it transpired .
Norths opened the scoring with a try in the corner to their 7 who was very fast.
Charlie Wakim received a kick and ran fifty metres to score under the posts on debut.
Norths persisted with the kicks and scored from an old fashioned 'up and under' which was misread by wicks 15 . 12-7 at half time with Norths on top and playing disruptive rugby especially at the breakdown.
The second half had Norths getting 3 and it seemed that they were getting the rub of the green.
Norths continued their kicking with high kicks and grubbers behind which exposed the back threes positional play. A defensive lapse had Norths score again to take the score to 25-7. With 20 to go the wicks 9 was subbed.he had had a tough day with the Norths forwards a ragging him often. Wicks scored next and looked good when they held the ball but sadly they insisted on giving it up and the final score of 32-14 was a fair reflection of the hard working Norths team.
There were some good and bad from the wicks today and they will have to regroup for two very tough matches in the next two weeks.
Thanks Sid.
Indulge me here - what was good about the First Grade today? I am struggling with that. Gameplan didnt work, execution questionable.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
My opinion is Too many players falling off tackles. Too many players getting the ball flat footed. Too much lateral movement. Positives? Wakims try. The sunshine.
At least 2nds showed coach Kelly there are numerous players worth giving a chance to.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
My opinion is Too many players falling off tackles. Too many players getting the ball flat footed. Too much lateral movement. Positives? Wakims try. The sunshine.
At least 2nds showed coach Kelly there are numerous players worth giving a chance to.
Who would you bring in and who would you leave out?

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
try this for discussion. Baumann3 Hodgetts2 Asa1, ingram4 speechley5, munro6 lam7 paila (samu)8,
helliwell9
matehare10 ford11 () horwitz12 Hepetema13 lautolo(Wakim)14 Brown15( Wright)
reserves Goodbody, Halangahu,Connor,Koteczky,Bannon,White

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That's for the coach to figure out. Team above seems a bit more rounded. All I see is the 2nds hitting the ball from a bit deeper and getting on the front foot a bit more. For what it's worth, I think Baldwin for his ball carrying would be a start. Wakim for ford. Sppeechly in the team. If terence unavailable next week mark k in centres, hes more a centre tha a 5/8 to me as his first instinct is to run. Zebs gotta be close. Not sold on helliwell. I'd put Toby Browne in my team as he always seems to have time on his hands and usually takes good options, is he injured? Moved on? Samu has been good in the centres, whenever he makes a break, where's his support? Could put him at 6 and utilise his running out wide with the pods. Some ideas, bit late this close to the finals though.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
That's for the coach to figure out. Team above seems a bit more rounded. All I see is the 2nds hitting the ball from a bit deeper and getting on the front foot a bit more. For what it's worth, I think Baldwin for his ball carrying would be a start. Wakim for ford. Sppeechly in the team. If terence unavailable next week mark k in centres, hes more a centre tha a 5/8 to me as his first instinct is to run. Zebs gotta be close. Not sold on helliwell. I'd put Toby Browne in my team as he always seems to have time on his hands and usually takes good options, is he injured? Moved on? Samu has been good in the centres, whenever he makes a break, where's his support? Could put him at 6 and utilise his running out wide with the pods. Some ideas, bit late this close to the finals though.
Yeah youre right nugget seems to pass in front get the forwards going forward kick oh and tacckle and make busts werent you there yesterday, nice observation!!!!! Oh fyi i think brown has gooooooone .

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Take it you're being sarcastic. I was there. i think helliwell and Boileau both have pluses and minuses to them. But you could be right that the 2nds running onto the ball was due to him passing in front of the forwards. While the 1sts getting the ball flat footed was due to the young bloke. Its only my observation. Where did Browne go to?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Take it you're being sarcastic. I was there. i think helliwell and Boileau both have pluses and minuses to them. But you could be right that the 2nds running onto the ball was due to him passing in front of the forwards. While the 1sts getting the ball flat footed was due to the young bloke. Its only my observation. Where did Browne go to?
Dont think there is enough bulk in the forwards with Speechly & Goodbody there. Both Ok players however we are getting pushed off our ball in the scrums. Nugget yes - Harry is one fir the future and will be better when his forwards are protecting him. I would have preferred Lautolo at 14 , Brown at 15, pity he has supposedley shot through OS.
The problem for mine is the piggies, we lost a lot of our ball in the rucks and were on the back foot when we did get it. Clean that up and we might be OK and I would pick the team accordingly. That would mean Baldwin somewhere.
Am glad I am not the coach...

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Dont think there is enough bulk in the forwards with Speechly & Goodbody there. Both Ok players however we are getting pushed off our ball in the scrums. Nugget yes - Harry is one fir the future and will be better when his forwards are protecting him. I would have preferred Lautolo at 14 , Brown at 15, pity he has supposedley shot through OS.
The problem for mine is the piggies, we lost a lot of our ball in the rucks and were on the back foot when we did get it. Clean that up and we might be OK and I would pick the team accordingly. That would mean Baldwin somewhere.
Am glad I am not the coach.
Yeah, it's got to be a hard juggling act being the coach. Probably right with the piggies. Seems we're playing three sixes and two sevens in the pack, so we don't have a shortage of loosies. Agree that Baldwin would add some grunt at the expense of Connor who would benefit from being the fetcher in a bigger pack. Macca, how'd your forwards look?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Today's game plan has forwards getting into position for the next play rather than getting on with the play in hand. I believe that is why we lose ball at the breakdown. Norths had three,four and five forwards in at the break against our one or two. Bulk would help but will not answer the problem. The long fellow had bulk but when was he at the breakdown?
I like the running but would like some tighter play From time to time.
The French in the 60-70s were very good at running seven forwards in loose formation passing between them before giving it to the backs .
Only a an old farts opinion

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)

I am really happy with alot that is being brought to Randwick I think the future is good, but I read the article about EGOS that the coach put out it rubs me a bit the wrong way. Why, well the number of people that have mentioned to me about the problems with the #9 and the selection being all due to narrow mindedness. The quality of the kid is not at question, just his ability. Many of the comments have come from opposition supporters and parents. It all around the team being held back.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah, it's got to be a hard juggling act being the coach. Probably right with the piggies. Seems we're playing three sixes and two sevens in the pack, so we don't have a shortage of loosies. Agree that Baldwin would add some grunt at the expense of Connor who would benefit from being the fetcher in a bigger pack. Macca, how'd your forwards look?
My problem with thinking like a coach is that there are too many guys with similar merits. I'll take up the challenge with little confidence.
1 Asa
2 Hodgetts
3 Holmes Baer
4 ingram
5 Munro
6 Baldwin
7 Connor
8 LaLa

Bit rough leaving out Paila as he has been trying hard - uncomfortable with that. #3 not sure however need some bulk. 6 & 7 would improve the R & Ms

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
My problem with thinking like a coach is that there are too many guys with similar merits. I'll take up the challenge with little confidence.
1 Asa
2 Hodgetts
3 Holmes Baer
4 ingram
5 Munro
6 Baldwin
7 Connor
8 LaLa

Bit rough leaving out Paila as he has been trying hard - uncomfortable with that. #3 not sure however need some bulk. 6 & 7 would improve the R & Ms
Pete samu plays well at whatever position fantastic athlete still better at inside rather than 8? love how he is so effective from there but then again also at 12! yep wouldnt be a coach for quids. Baldwin amazing everywhere and pace to burn throw him in somewhere maybe outside pete.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
The side is doing well for the lack of physical size. With Richie Aho now gone the bigger body missing is obvious at scrum time and with the ball carry in first grade. Commendable effort by Goodbody against Lah in the scrum, who's been propping since 2003 in Shute Shield.

Second grade are going great and it would be good to see promotion of players but what new dynamic do they bring to 1's? That's not a criticism of the 2's but looking at an individual bringing something to assist 1's a better team.

The playing groups and coaches have done a great job if 2012 is the base upon which we are all looking at for improvement.

Unsure of how or what is involved in recruitment but two big forwards, for mine, would add to the team. A prop and a six or eight (in the mould of Finnegan) would add to ball carry and presence at the set piece and break down. The backs through the grades are great. Speed and creativity are in abundance. So it's just a matter of opportunity and form for them to progress.

On Saturday, Wakim with limited opportunity was great. Munro was all aggression with the ball and at the break down. Wright in defence on the edges was great, he nullified a lot of their attack and got under Daruda's skin at one stage.

Norths seemed the hungrier in attack and defence. A big loss (against Uni) will often do that to a team.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
The side is doing well for the lack of physical size. With Richie Aho now gone the bigger body missing is obvious at scrum time and with the ball carry in first grade. Commendable effort by Goodbody against Lah in the scrum, who's been propping since 2003 in Shute Shield.

Second grade are going great and it would be good to see promotion of players but what new dynamic do they bring to 1's? That's not a criticism of the 2's but looking at an individual bringing something to assist 1's a better team.

The playing groups and coaches have done a great job if 2012 is the base upon which we are all looking at for improvement.

Unsure of how or what is involved in recruitment but two big forwards, for mine, would add to the team. A prop and a six or eight (in the mould of Finnegan) would add to ball carry and presence at the set piece and break down. The backs through the grades are great. Speed and creativity are in abundance. So it's just a matter of opportunity and form for them to progress.

On Saturday, Wakim with limited opportunity was great. Munro was all aggression with the ball and at the break down. Wright in defence on the edges was great, he nullified a lot of their attack and got under Daruda's skin at one stage.

Norths seemed the hungrier in attack and defence. A big loss (against Uni) will often do that to a team.
That will make Randwick very dangerous come finals. Uni is their last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.