• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I am really happy with alot that is being brought to Randwick I think the future is good, but I read the article about EGOS that the coach put out it rubs me a bit the wrong way. Why, well the number of people that have mentioned to me about the problems with the #9 and the selection being all due to narrow mindedness. The quality of the kid is not at question, just his ability. Many of the comments have come from opposition supporters and parents. It all around the team being held back.
Do you think beaulieu (however its spelt) would've been better served by a year or two in colts? I think schoolboy rugby doesn't prepare young players for the week in, week out grind of club rugby.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A big chance of missing semis unfortunately with the rats coming home strong. Missed game on Saturday but from all reports it was our worst performance of the year. Think George is right the side needs two big locks for next year. 1 . Id give zeb a run and carry la la as a fresh reserve and put samu back in forwards. he comes on in the last 30 for paila or connor. regards to the half back Nathan sievert would have been great to retain from 2012 and Boileau to colts.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Do you think beaulieu (however its spelt) would've been better served by a year or two in colts? I think schoolboy rugby doesn't prepare young players for the week in, week out grind of club rugby.

He did play a year in colts - at Easts, where he played junior club as well! The lure of 1st grade clearly was stronger than his old club ties!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
He did play a year in colts - at Easts, where he played junior club as well! The lure of 1st grade clearly was stronger than his old club ties!
A big chance of missing semis unfortunately with the rats coming home strong. Missed game on Saturday but from all reports it was our worst performance of the year. Think George is right the side needs two big locks for next year. 1 . Id give zeb a run and carry la la as a fresh reserve and put samu back in forwards. he comes on in the last 30 for paila or connor. regards to the half back Nathan sievert would have been great to retain from 2012 and Boileau to colts.
S Hoiles must be due for a game soon. He has been spotted looking very fit. He might be just the old head to give this young side some direction. Another dilemma - where do you play him and who gets left out?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Another great day at coogee with fine weather and a reasonable crowd in the afternoon.
Fourth grade won by Norths . Wicks came back but too little too late 20-17 to Norths
Third grade the wicks got off to a slow start but came home in the second half to win 64-24
Second grade were 28-0 up before Norths came back at them. Norths were beaten by kicking to a strong back line with the 14 for wicks carving them on returns. The 10 and 7 also had stand out games. Final score was 59-12
So far it seemed that Norths were predominantly kicking high or kicking long and then chasing well through the grades so the same would be expected in the firsts and so it transpired .
Norths opened the scoring with a try in the corner to their 7 who was very fast.
Charlie Wakim received a kick and ran fifty metres to score under the posts on debut.
Norths persisted with the kicks and scored from an old fashioned 'up and under' which was misread by wicks 15 . 12-7 at half time with Norths on top and playing disruptive rugby especially at the breakdown.
The second half had Norths getting 3 and it seemed that they were getting the rub of the green.
Norths continued their kicking with high kicks and grubbers behind which exposed the back threes positional play. A defensive lapse had Norths score again to take the score to 25-7. With 20 to go the wicks 9 was subbed.he had had a tough day with the Norths forwards a ragging him often. Wicks scored next and looked good when they held the ball but sadly they insisted on giving it up and the final score of 32-14 was a fair reflection of the hard working Norths team.
There were some good and bad from the wicks today and they will have to regroup for two very tough matches in the next two weeks.

This was a must win game for the Wicks as I can't see them adding to their 39 SS points in the next 2 weeks and Warringah are now breathing down their necks. A win would have seen us leapfrog Easts into 6th place and secure a place in the playoffs.

For me the game just highlighted the importance of Horwitz to the team. Without him (and Hepetema) they looked to have zero attacking ability. Horwitz has been setting up at least 2-3 tries per game, as well as numerous line breaks.

It's possible that Norths, Wicks and the Rats could all finish on equal points and the same number of wins so for and against could decide who misses out.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
That's for the coach to figure out. Team above seems a bit more rounded. All I see is the 2nds hitting the ball from a bit deeper and getting on the front foot a bit more. For what it's worth, I think Baldwin for his ball carrying would be a start. Wakim for ford. Sppeechly in the team. If terence unavailable next week mark k in centres, hes more a centre tha a 5/8 to me as his first instinct is to run. Zebs gotta be close. Not sold on helliwell. I'd put Toby Browne in my team as he always seems to have time on his hands and usually takes good options, is he injured? Moved on? Samu has been good in the centres, whenever he makes a break, where's his support? Could put him at 6 and utilise his running out wide with the pods. Some ideas, bit late this close to the finals though.

Browne's only played a couple of games in the last several weeks and Horwitz and Hepetema are away for another week. I agree Koteczky should be in firsts. Samu and Wright didn't provide any attack without Horwitz to direct the play and create gaps.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
S Hoiles must be due for a game soon. He has been spotted looking very fit. He might be just the old head to give this young side some direction. Another dilemma - where do you play him and who gets left out?

Unlikely he'd be match fit enough to come straight back into 1sts for a full game, but assuming he could, then he'd have to be at 8 with Samu and LaLa sharing half a game each and Connor or Baldwin as the other flanker. Given Samu and LaLa's struggle with fitness and the way they throw themselves into the fray I'd suggest half a game each would be a good move.

This is my best team assuming all available:

Asa
Halangahu (his lineout throwing edges him about Hodgetts)
Goodbody
Ingram
Munro or Speechley
Lam / Samu
Connor or Baldwin
Hoiles

Nugget (the Boileau experiment has run it's course for mine)
Matehaere
Horwitz (12)
Hepetema (13)
Wakim (wing)
Lautolo (wing)
Koteczky (15)

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Never thought a player two years out of the game would get a walk up start in first grade. Not doubting the ability just an 'arrangement'.
Prefer to see him do an half in twos first.
Baldwin had a cracker on Saturday in twos and deserves to go up.
Lautolo better on the wing than at fullback I believe.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
Unlikely he'd be match fit enough to come straight back into 1sts for a full game, but assuming he could, then he'd have to be at 8 with Samu and LaLa sharing half a game each and Connor or Baldwin as the other flanker. Given Samu and LaLa's struggle with fitness and the way they throw themselves into the fray I'd suggest half a game each would be a good move.

This is my best team assuming all available:

Asa
Halangahu (his lineout throwing edges him about Hodgetts)
Goodbody
Ingram
Munro or Speechley
Lam / Samu
Connor or Baldwin
Hoiles

Nugget (the Boileau experiment has run it's course for mine)
Matehaere
Horwitz (12)
Hepetema (13)
Wakim (wing)
Lautolo (wing)
Koteczky (15)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Never thought a player two years out of the game would get a walk up start in first grade. Not doubting the ability just an 'arrangement'.
Prefer to see him do an half in twos first.
Baldwin had a cracker on Saturday in twos and deserves to go up.
Lautolo better on the wing than at fullback I believe.

I agree, my team (above) was based on the assumption that all players were fit and available which is clearly not the case with Hoiles.

BTW, does anyone have any actual factual knowledge that Hoiles is planning a return to the paddock this year or is this just wishful thinking?

The other change I'd make is giving the captaincy back to Nio.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Only 1 change in the team v Southern:
Koteczky in at 10 (deserves promotion), Matehaere back to 2nds (I'm surprised at this)

Hopefully Koteczky will take over the goal kicks as well (assuming we get some to kick!) rather than Harry

Anyone know when Tom Bennett is back from suspension?
This will be the 8th match this weekend.

No sign of Hoiles !!!
Is this just a rumour?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Only 1 change in the team v Southern:
Koteczky in at 10 (deserves promotion), Matehaere back to 2nds (I'm surprised at this)

Hopefully Koteczky will take over the goal kicks as well (assuming we get some to kick!) rather than Harry

Anyone know when Tom Bennett is back from suspension?
This will be the 8th match this weekend.

No sign of Hoiles !!!
Is this just a rumour?
There is a chance that he will play off the bench for 20 minutes. He has trained with the side and been doing contact both at randwick and with waratah physio over the last 4-6 weeks post an operation in sweden.

Thought there might be a few more changes but as you pointed out Coach the big thing missing was Horwitz and Terrence.

I think the second big issue is a result of having some very skillful but quiet natured fellas in key positions (no talk) 7 TC 8 PAILA 9 BOILEAU 10 CAYDEN 12 SAMU from the weekends team are all very quiet fellas.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There is a chance that he will play off the bench for 20 minutes. He has trained with the side and been doing contact both at randwick and with waratah physio over the last 4-6 weeks post an operation in sweden.

Thought there might be a few more changes but as you pointed out Coach the big thing missing was Horwitz and Terrence.

I think the second big issue is a result of having some very skillful but quiet natured fellas in key positions (no talk) 7 TC 8 PAILA 9 BOILEAU 10 CAYDEN 12 SAMU from the weekends team are all very quiet fellas.

Pete, thanks for the feedback about Hoiles.
I hope he makes a successful comeback.

Re the quite fellas -- I'd add LaLa to your list, that's why I think Nio would be a better leader.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pete, thanks for the feedback about Hoiles.
I hope he makes a successful comeback.

Re the quite fellas -- I'd add LaLa to your list, that's why I think Nio would be a better leader.
Agreed re La La, I would also have him starting from the bench. With a full pre season behind him he could be an 80 min player but not at the moment.

Do you think Baldwin offers more the Connor?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed re La La, I would also have him starting from the bench. With a full pre season behind him he could be an 80 min player but not at the moment.

Do you think Baldwin offers more the Connor?

I'd suggested previously that Samu and La La are both only fit enough for half a game each at the moment and think they should be used that way.

I think both Connor and Baldwin can be a bit inconsistent. I thought Connor was slow to the breakdown on occasions last week and also against the Rats, especially towards the end of the game.

Baldwin had a big game v Norths and is probably in better form at the moment. He also has more bulk than Connor and is able to bust tackles. Might be time to give him another chance in the top grade.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd suggested previously that Samu and La La are both only fit enough for half a game each at the moment and think they should be used that way.

I think both Connor and Baldwin can be a bit inconsistent. I thought Connor was slow to the breakdown on occasions last week and also against the Rats, especially towards the end of the game.

Baldwin had a big game v Norths and is probably in better form at the moment. He also has more bulk than Connor and is able to bust tackles. Might be time to give him another chance in the top grade.
Be interesting when Johnson graduates to grade also, hopefully we can retain all three. I think ultimately Baldwin is a more complete player but Johnson has a huge ticker

Status
Not open for further replies.