• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

G&GR Fantasy Rugby Competition 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've never before had a go at one of these Fantasy Comps but I am going to give it a go. I'm just after one tip possibly. I've had a look at how points are allocated (or lost as the case may be) and am trying to select a team. Q. Is there benefit in saving any or a lot of your salary cap when buying your team?

I pretty much spent all my dough on a team and was about to save it when I thought, I wonder if I'll need extra money mid way through the comp.

Any advice would be great! On this question or advice in general! :D

A

AlexH

I've never before had a go at one of these Fantasy Comps but I am going to give it a go. I'm just after one tip possibly. I've had a look at how points are allocated (or lost as the case may be) and am trying to select a team. Q. Is there benefit in saving any or a lot of your salary cap when buying your team?

I pretty much spent all my dough on a team and was about to save it when I thought, I wonder if I'll need extra money mid way through the comp.

Well, its good you had a look at the scoring system. Make sure spend your money in the positions where you think you will get the most points. Props and hookers with either a running game or a high work rate tend to be a worthwhile investment because the scoring system rewards them more heavily than players with the same work rate and running games in other positions.

Locks tend to be the lowest scoring and the difference between the better performing locks and the crap locks is pretty small so I would advise saving your money here.

Now, to answer your question:

Personally, I try to set aside 150K-250K in the first round because I know I will only have limited substitutes and I do not want to have to reshuffle my team to free up capital if there is a player I cannot afford. Some people like to spend all their money in the first round because they feel that this equates to fielding the best possible team but this is often not the case.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In Super Rugby, the consistently best players weren't generally the most expensive.

If you looked at the top performing team over the season, you would have been able to easily afford all of them.

As AlexH said, don't waste your money on locks. Backrowers, hooker and front rowers were often the highest scorers.

Some inside backs scored consistently high, but outside backs were often fairly reliant on scoring tries to score highly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One note about props is that the two props who scored the highest, Sona Taumalolo and Coenie Oosthuizen won't be in TRC and the style of play in test match rugby is probably less suited to props scoring highly.

I could of course be wrong but that would be my assumption.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
When choosing an inside back, I always look for a high % goalkicker. I generally like to have 2-3 total backline spots filled with high % goalkickers.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

First off I agree with all the tips given before mine. Especially re: picking too many expensive players. At the moment my team has $0 in the bank but once the team line-ups are made I'll be able to sort out a team that gives me something in the bank.

My tip is on Auto transfers:
I always wait to do my transfers till about 3-4 hrs before the deadline because teams sometimes make late changes due to injury. If you have a player in your starting line-up that is scratched late (like listed in the team line-up but when the team takes the field he is not there due to an injury in warm up/late change) then whoever is on your bench will be automatically subbed in & you'll get their points. That is why it is important to have players who will take the field on your bench (some people pick outside cheapies that see no game time to allow more money to spend on the squad taking the field - I've done this but it is a risk). Note, you won't get an auto sub if your player starts, so if they start, get injured in the first couple of minutes & comes off then you won't get an auto sub.

Hope that helps!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Any idea what you do if a player you're interested in doesn't appear in the Fantasy Comp? Try as I might - I couldn't find Cory Jane. Anyone else see him?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
TRC1.png

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any idea what you do if a player you're interested in doesn't appear in the Fantasy Comp? Try as I might - I couldn't find Cory Jane. Anyone else see him?

Leave it for a while & have another look. Francois Steyn wasn't there this morning but is now.

A

AlexH

I think Savea and Jane are expected to start ahead of Gear mate.

Also, I would have a look into starting at least one of the Argentinian props ahead of Jannie. If memory serves me correctly they did quite well in the RWC Fantasy Competition.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Savea and Jane are expected to start ahead of Gear mate.

Also, I would have a look into starting at least one of the Argentinian props ahead of Jannie. If memory serves me correctly they did quite well in the RWC Fantasy Competition.
Thanks. Gear named on the run on side, so I assume he is there. Savea not in the 22 & Jane not in fantsay (can't remember if he is in the side).

Status
Not open for further replies.