• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I like the balance of Genia starting and Burgess coming on to up the intensity levels with 15-20 to go.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why is Berrick in the team if JOC (James O'Connor) is kicking?

Winger James O'Connor will pick up the goalkicking duties for the Wallabies in this weekend's Test against France.

O'Connor missed the win over Italy when he rushed home to attend a funeral and, in his absence, centre Berrick Barnes booted eight from nine, the best kicking performance of Australia's tour.

Barnes, though, will hand the duties back to O'Connor who became Australia's full-time kicker in the Test against Wales three weeks ago.

The 20-year-old managed just three from seven in his last outing, the loss to England at Twickenham.

He took on the responsibility when Matt Giteau stepped down after booting one from four against the All Blacks in Hong Kong.

Barnes has been restricted in his kicking practice this week by a minor hip pointer injury which won't stop him taking to the Stade de France on Saturday night (0645 Sunday AEDT).

"I think it's just general wear and tear, I haven't gone this long in a year before," Barnes said.

Coach Robbie Deans said, regardless, O'Connor remained Australia's first-choice kicker.

"Berrick kicked superbly last week obviously, which is good for him and good for us to have another bloke who succeeded in game,'' Deans said.

"James is essentially our preferred goalkicker, he's our best goalkicker."

Deans said O'Connor would also take Australia's long-range shots, with fullback Kurtley Beale a back-up option only.

"James is perfectly capable of kicking them from a distance as well if he concentrates on process," Deans said.

The Wallabies will have their final training run in the French capital on Friday morning.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Cause he will do no worse than Giteau has over the last 6 months. In fact he will provide us better defence, better field kicking and probably better ball-running given the way Giteau has been so easily shut down by opposition defences recently.

Dunno why JOC (James O'Connor) is the preferred goalkicker over Barnes though, and it seems he is regardless of Barnes' hip injury. Barnes is the best in the country and JOC (James O'Connor) should be the back up.

Reactions: WB3
W

WB3

From the sounds of things France have some strengths that unfortunately coincide directly with some of our weaknesses, big strong midfield runners (running at our flaky defence) being a case in point. However, I remain naive/optimistic enough to believe that if the forwards really pull their finger out (their ruckwork against Italy was mostly good) then our more skilled outside backs can do the damage.
Wobs by 7. I hope.

If they lose it will be put down to crappy set-pieces and midfield defence as usual.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
McCalman hasn't been going to well on the tour. If you intend to replace McCalman, then Higgers makes more sense on the bench than Hodgson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I'm not too optimistic... Damien Traille is not a fly half (not even a decent center) and Rougerie is worse. They are just big. Our wingers are too inexperienced and the fullback is too predictable.

sudrugby

I hope you are right from our point of view. I saw Traille play some comic games at flyhalf for Biarritz last season - or maybe it was the season before. He looked like a cow playing the piano. He didn't embarrass himself against Argentina so let's see how he goes. He is certainly not a ball player but he may be handy to boot the ball 50 metres every time if it is raining or snowing.

It was a strange choice wasn't it? I know that Trinh-Duc was injured and Skrela hears voices, but others could have been used. I'm not sure who else is iinjured but Boyet, Wiznieski (is he fit now ?), Beauxis and Courrent would have been better than Traille. I'd even use Yachilli there first. The coach has a long game going which I don't understand. What do the French press say about it?

As I mentioned before: Rougerie has played 13 for Clermont a bit this year but he's always been a winger for France before last weekend. What are the French opinions about his playing him at 13?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Whoever said Barnes looks uncomfortable in that backline is right. The balance doesn't seem right. And he is not even going to be kicking so wtf!

With Giteau not in form, and Barnes looking awkward, I honestly think J'OC is the man for 12 moving forward and for the World Cup. I think he will compliment Cooper nicely with his runs and passing game that isn't quite there at the moment. Just put a huge bloke next to him at 13 (eg. Chambers, Mortlock, Inman), Beale at fullback and let AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Ioane fight it out for the wings.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If only there was a guy in the squad who'd played at 12 all year alongside Cooper. . . . :-\

I'm starting to wonder what position gits will ever find, and barnes wasn't a great 12 next to Cooper.

You guys are being a bit hard on Mr Barnes, he dropped one ball.

If you go back and look at the tape he did a lot of good stuff including getting the ball to Mitchell to score the try. His defensive work was good and he gets into position and leads the defensive organising very well.

N

Newter

I think it's Robbie's way of controlling the team during the game. Barnes seems to do what Robbie says - in Florence the game plan changed after half time to a large extent because Barnes played more conservatively and was probably in Quade's ear constantly urging the same.

He's not a better #12 than Giteau, not in defence and not with the ball. But he's close enough and follows instructions a bit better, I'd say.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think it's Robbie's way of controlling the team during the game. Barnes seems to do what Robbie says - in Florence the game plan changed after half time to a large extent because Barnes played more conservatively and was probably in Quade's ear constantly urging the same.

He's not a better #12 than Giteau, not in defence and not with the ball. But he's close enough and follows instructions a bit better, I'd say.

Barnes is substantially better than Giteau in defence, a better place-kicker and -- on evidence -- a better goal-kicker. He's not a better broken-field runner, but neither is he as inclined to crabbing.

JOC (James O'Connor) straight back to goal-kicking is... ummm... what's the word... dumb, that's the one. I really hope he's nailing them (not just for this game, but cos it would be great for Oz rugby), but if he's not Deans will deserve every shot that comes his way.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper to have a blinder, Barnes to play a decent game but again make Giteau look not so abysmal, JOC (James O'Connor) to miss plenty. DPK's theory about Cooper in wet weather matches to be proven correct.

Wob's by 11.

T

Tank

McCalman hasn't been going to well on the tour. If you intend to replace McCalman, then Higgers makes more sense on the bench than Hodgson.

from a big body sense I tend to agree (and am a fan of Higgs) but I still think it is harsh on Hodgson - who can certainly play 8 and I would think has more 8 experience than Higgs

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
You guys are being a bit hard on Mr Barnes, he dropped one ball.

If you go back and look at the tape he did a lot of good stuff including getting the ball to Mitchell to score the try. His defensive work was good and he gets into position and leads the defensive organising very well.

Yeesh that ball to Mitchell was a dog, That's one of the reasons I'm ambivalent about seeing him there ...

Don't get me wrong, I've been a Barnes Booster since he was a Bronco, but this tour has not been an opportunity taken. Not that deans has given him a lot of opportunity. He has been at best servicable ball in hand, and often less than. For all of the strengths in his game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
FUCK!

I wish I knew that stupid Robbie has got JOC (James O'Connor) kicking goals before I put my tips in. I'm on the Wobs by 5, but not having a proper goal-kicker is about a -6 value. How much of a goose is Robbie? There's no fucking end to the ways he can piss me off.

N

Newter

Barnes is substantially better than Giteau in defence, a better place-kicker and -- on evidence -- a better goal-kicker. He's not a better broken-field runner, but neither is he as inclined to crabbing.

The only difference between their tackling percentages is that Giteau's success rate is higher, and as for place-kicking that's been Quade's job this season. Field kicking, neither of them are more than roughly competent.

Giteau is a slightly better man for the position on current form, just because he seems a little tougher than Barnes in contact. I remember Quade using Barnes at crash ball once hot on attack against Italy and he spilled it. He generally doesn't seem comfortable taking the tackle.

But as I say, Barnes is a good little remote-controlled Robbie out there, and Giteau hasn't provided much intellectual leadership this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.