• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
With the weather forecast for Paris, the Canberra boys should at home. The rest of the squad may struggle.

It will be the same for the Froggies, and I don't think too many of them would be used to such low temperatures. It should be slightly in the Froggy favour.

I think that we will sneak home by 6 points, cause we have to for the tour to be judged successful. We are desperate. Le Frogs have a full season in front of them to develop.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the Wallabies will step up a grade

So they'll be in, like, 3rd grade? Soon they can write with pens and make papier mache.

I think it will be more of the same - we will struggle with [insert facet] of our game, turning the match into an arm-wrestle in which [player] has trouble with their handling and [player] misses too many kicks. At the end of the game, we will [win/lose] and GG will [thrashwank/headkick].

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Am I being too negative/cynical/despondent? I prefer to smash the glass, whinge, and hope someone brings me a brand new one full to the brim...

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Am I being too negative/cynical/despondent? I prefer to smash the glass, whinge, and hope someone brings me a brand new one full to the brim...

Not at all, though I'm not sure about the suggestion that "Thrashwank/headkick" is an either/or scenario. Surely you've seen enough of our rugby to know that we'll probably have to do both. What matters is the ratio.

I'm looking forward to this game, it should be good. If nothing else, it stands to provide me with a nice view of somewhere cold, while I'm sitting in my lounge room wearing nothing but y-fronts and a withered facial expression (mental image free of charge).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sevenpointdropgoal, With only 8 posts (although a member since April), you may not have been active on the live call on the night of the Bloomers Test when Moses typed the award winning words "I Want to ...... my mouth".

With you in your Reg Grundys in the lounge room, you will need to be careful what you do and type, or you may also be in the nominations for a 2011 award. :)

On a slightly serious note, it is hard to think of the boys freezing their nuts off in SDF in Paris, when it is 25 degrees at 6 in the morning over here as we watch the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Team named:

Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, James Slipper. Res: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson, Mark Chisholm, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, Matt Giteau, Lachie Turner.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
you may also be in the nominations for a 2011 award. :)

Haha. Is it wrong that the prospect somewhat excites me? I only hope that I can live up to Moses' excellent standard.

I'm pleased to see Higgers getting another go. Despite his disappointing midweek appearances he's still got a lot to add.

Do we know whether Genia is actually fit. When he was talking about his ribs being fine, I got the impression that they'd taped a rod to his back to stop him from doubling over.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So they'll be in, like, 3rd grade? Soon they can write with pens and make papier mache.

I think it will be more of the same - we will struggle with [insert facet] of our game, turning the match into an arm-wrestle in which [player] has trouble with their handling and [player] misses too many kicks. At the end of the game, we will [win/lose] and GG will [thrashwank/headkick].

Fuck, no need to watch the game or come back here now

Goodbye cruel world

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like. That. Team.

It's the best combo I think we can put out on the paddock and hopefully the boys will give it a bloody good shake. This could well be a preview of the 22 we take to the RWC next year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Noddy

Yeah that does prove they were dropped. Giteau has been discussed ad nauseam, but not Fat Cat. He hasn't been the same in 2010 as he was in 2009 - and I'm including the period before his injury, for the Tahs. He has been OK around the park but his value should always be assessed on scrummaging.

So the changes are that JOC (James O'Connor) is back and Turner returns to the bench and McCabe to the stands; Genia replaces Burgess in the starting team; Higginbotham replaces Hodgson on the bench.

I don't agree with replacing Burgess with Genia who is not 100% and anyway: it's not as though Sanchez is in top form.

It will be interesting if Pocock is injured. Rocky would be the only one of the 3 backrowers in the 22 who has played at 7, as I don't think that McCalman has played there for Uni. Dwyer used Rocky at 7 for some Academy games in 2003 when he was a pup and he went OK.

It is worth noting that Simmons has retained his starting spot and he earned it last Saturday. It means that Sharpe is at TH lock again, but it doesn't seem to matter who plays there with our scrums.

The cold weather expected bothers me. Most of the French players hail :D from the warmer south of the country but they get to play a lot more in those conditions. We need not be reminded how Oz A played at Thomond Park when it was cold and slippery and it would be a brave Oz fan who wouldn't expect a similar "strangers in a strange land" performance from the main team.

If conditions are dire I think this French team will keep it tight and sometimes let the two big midfielders take it up the guts. Also expect big bopper flyhalf Damien Traille to use his cannon boot to kick the ball a mile with the wingers chasing.

You never know - being French they may not play to their advantage over us and dish the ball out too much as they did against Fiji in a Nantes storm and turned it over. Or maybe they will crab too much sideways as they did in Montpellier against Argentina.

You never know how the French will play; which can be good for the other team, or very bad.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I'm not too optimistic... Damien Traille is not a fly half (not even a decent center) and Rougerie is worse. They are just big. Our wingers are too inexperienced and the fullback is too predictable.
We might have a stronger scrum, the best backline is the Wallabies' one. Only Parra and Jauzion are playing at the same level.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh traille isn't a natural 10 and Rougerie is a wing not a centre.

Wallabies have a great backline but Barnes doesn't look too comfortable in it, will be an interesting battle between him and Jauzion

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Never write the Frog Backs off, particularly in SDF Paris.

The predicted cold weather may play an important factor in the Wobs performance, but I have a feeling that it will be a very tight game. Slug fest up front and we may see some YC's being deployed. 2 to Les Bleu and 1 to Les Patterson's Mob (that's us).

The Wobs to get up by 3 points.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So far this season Genia has shown little evidence he plays well injured.

Some players do, some don't. He was excellent before doing his knee and average since.

He has looked slow to ruck and not prepared to take on the defence regularly. Without the running game - the 7 can just chase Cooper, with slow service from phase - the defence can realign

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Agreed on Genia. He looks severely hampered and his running game is just not what it was last year. I'm sure it is solely due to this injury but I can't help but think starting Burgess ATM would be a better option, just as Genia is clearly hobbled.

Happy that Deans didn't soft out and just reverse last week's changes with respect to Fat Cat, Gits and Chisholm. Simmons, Slipper and Barnes all well and truly deserve their spots in the side. Heaps of pressure on Simmons and Slipper to front up this week against a monster French pack.

The Jauzion, Traille, Rougerie midfield will be troublesome if they get some good ball. The French have tended to not get much ball to the backline over the last 18 months, preferring to rumble in the forwards. But if the pack provides good ball and don't get too greedy, the huge midfield of France will get a chance to run at Cooper quite a bit I feel. I definitely back AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Barnes to defend them though.

I'm tipping a big game for Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) as I seem to remember outside back playing particularly well against the French back line defence. I think their footwork could really trouble some of these big French backs. If Cooper can get good ball going forward too I think we can really cut them up (if the weather is OK anyway).

I hope Higginbotham gets a run, he needs a cap before next year as I think he will be valuable once the RWC rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.