• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

France v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
not sure where that came from Mr D but I do think the only possible scenario that would see KB (Kurtley Beale) flown over for this tour is an injury to Folau..

EDIT: or a stack of backline injuries

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As for the French, Teddy Thomas, great name!

Not as good as Jean Condom (Condom has come off, circa 90s Ballymore!!) but still memorable.

Not a bad player either Teddy - and a hat-trick in his first game last week.

It was 1990 - yeah I remember Condom.

If I remember right Bray also said about a lineout "…and Condom gives protection to a team mate ……I've been waiting to say that."

It was a dirty series that: Benazzi, in his first test got sent off for stomping on Fitzy's head.

That wasn't so bad for Fitzy, who was already writing in the SMH at the time, but he was trying to get a nickame going for himself as "The Hammer"—so it was embarrassing when centre Sella punched him from behind and he dropped to the ground.

He has been reminded of it ever since.

Reactions: Tex

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
and of course in cricket - Poms v West Indies, there was the commentator who said, "the batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willie"

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I would just like too add I heard Chekia say Sam coped a bump against the Welsh and that Horwill probably deserved a start after the BarBars game.

Could also be why Skeltons the bench option although He adds a difference.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Intriguing that people always go back to Skelton's debut against a disinterested French side - who didn't feel like defending that day - as a reason why he should be persisted with despite his misgivings.

Meanwhile Jones has a timid, ineffective debut a week earlier in that tight, high pressure test, and all of a sudden his form which warranted his inclusion is discounted, and he's thrown on the scrap heap.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think he did well in general play against the Welsh. There was nothing flashy but he made it over the gain line with each carry and got good recycles. He also tailed the ball carrier into a few tackles and produced strong cleanouts and allowed us to get quick ball.

I think this is what Cheika is looking for from him off the bench. To help keep our forward momentum and provide strength at the breakdown. In the games where we've been overrun in the last 15 minutes this year it's often involved a big momentum shift in the forwards and all of a sudden we're getting smashed. We're going to lose physicality when we replace Slipper and Kepu so we need to add a physical dimension from somewhere.

Yeah - just like we had forward momentum when Foley kicked with 40 seconds to play against Wales?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The issue wasn't could he make any yards at that time of the day.
the issue was who was going to be right up his clacker ready to repel the certain 3 or 4 desperate defenders trying to get/spoil our ball.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wallabies just need a fast start. If they can score a few early tries, the French won't trouble them

Going to be under serious pressure in the scrum. We chose a much bigger, stronger pack in the June series and we still struggled to hold our own in the scrums. Like last week Im worried that Cheika has gone too lightweight. I'd actually play a bit of territory against the French. Keep the ball out of the wallabies 20 at all costs.

I tend to think the starting scrum is too light as well, but the front row will be up for the contest as long as they stay on the pitch. Unfortunately, the reserve scrum will be much weaker although much heavier after the Ben(n)s and Skelton come on. The front row won't be our saviours then.

And just who is going to hoist the ball out of our 20m area?

The problems I believe we will have at scrum and late lineout times could just be enough to let the French make a real contest of this. We could well be starved of good possession in French territory and it will be the superior defense of the Wallabies that will keep us in the hunt.

I really believe that Cheika has got a couple of selections wrong, ie Skelton in and no Jones on the bench, and if we happen to lose it will very much be his responsibility.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really believe that Cheika has got a couple of selections wrong, ie Skelton in and no Jones on the bench, and if we happen to lose it will very much be his responsibility.

if Skelton goes OK and we win, will you remind us that TGC knows a bit about the game?

what was your other claimed wrong selection?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
if Skelton goes OK and we win, will you remind us that TGC knows a bit about the game?

what was your other claimed wrong selection?

Happily. Skelton going ok means he also contributes positively to the set piece as well as getting over the gain line every occasion he has the ball (as is claimed by many of his fans), hitting all rucks within spitting distance and effectively cleaning out every French player over the ball and disrupting every opposition maul (which I don't doubt he will do a good job at).

The other mystery selection imo was the omission of Jones from the bench in place of Hodgson to bring more size and aggression into what is a fairly unbalanced backrow. But that was on the assumption that Carter should have been on the bench. If he has a bump as apparently mentioned by Cheika, then Jones on the bench in place of Skelton.

Just to clarify, I believe the weakness of these selections in the set piece is the only area where the French could set up a win. If they do that, then I believe it is wholly attributable to poor selection in the forwards by the coach.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Skelton going ok means he also contributes positively to the set piece as well as getting over the gain line every occasion he has the ball (as is claimed by many of his fans), hitting all rucks within spitting distance and effectively cleaning out every French player over the ball and disrupting every opposition maul (which I don't doubt he will do a good job at).

That gets an OK? It sounds like a combination of Richie McCaw, Brodie Retallick and Kieran Read.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
This French team is being given too much respect. Tactically they are woeful, in all areas. Their scrum has traditionally been top 3 the past decade but it was beyond awful in the 6N. They had the worst one in the tournament if I remember correctly.

Aus should win this with relative ease. Especially as Cheika is the polar opposite of PSA. Aus should win by 8+ or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.