• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not me! I am one of the really crazy people who have Moore in my starting 15 and Robinson on the bench. I am not doing very well though, I might add.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kyle Cooper from the Sharks is good as a back up hooker, think he is coming 3rd or so, and only $100k..why waste 000's on a benched hooker like Moore?
Quick tip - It doesn't matter if this guy is high up there in one round. What matters is the mean and the deviation. You want a guy with a high mean and a low deviation.

Gravy behind this tip
Kyle Cooper has a decent mean - 22. However, his deviation is, get this, 21. That means that 50% of the time, you can bet he will get less than or equal to 22, 66% of the time he will get less than or equal to 43.
Take Hikawera Elliot as an example of a good choice. His mean is 29 and his deviation is 13. That means that the chances of him scoring less than 16 points is 34%.
Specifically relating to Stephen Moore, he is fantastic. His mean is about 31 and his deviation is about 7. I can say with a 97.5% certainty that he will score more than 17 points. The chance of him scoring less than 10 is 0.15%. He is brilliant and you wouldn't pick anyone ahead of him if he was playing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kyle Cooper from the Sharks is good as a back up hooker, think he is coming 3rd or so, and only $100k..why waste 000's on a benched hooker like Moore?

Lack of transfers. Transferred in Ged a few weeks ago as both of my hookers (Moore and Maku) were benched in the same week. Haven't had the chance to transfer out either Moore or Ged yet.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quick tip - It doesn't matter if this guy is high up there in one round. What matters is the mean and the deviation. You want a guy with a high mean and a low deviation.

Gravy behind this tip
Kyle Cooper has a decent mean - 22. However, his deviation is, get this, 21. That means that 50% of the time, you can bet he will get less than or equal to 22, 66% of the time he will get less than or equal to 43.
Take Hikawera Elliot as an example of a good choice. His mean is 29 and his deviation is 13. That means that the chances of him scoring less than 16 points is 34%.
Specifically relating to Stephen Moore, he is fantastic. His mean is about 31 and his deviation is about 7. I can say with a 97.5% certainty that he will score more than 17 points. The chance of him scoring less than 10 is 0.15%. He is brilliant and you wouldn't pick anyone ahead of him if he was playing.

I agree about your sentiments regarding Cooper, but don't forget that the mean is susceptible to outliers. Now that we have more data to work with, I am sure his deviation would be much less if you calculate his Interquartile Range.

Fun with numbers!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not that I've been doing very well, but I missed the transfer/team edit deadline by about one minute.

Now I'm stuck with my previous team and a whole bunch of people not playing :(

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Nusadan is talking about people's Fantasy bench..

Didn't think of that. My philosophy on the hooker spot is to spend big on both starter and bench spots because it is such a key scoring role that you need to have two really good choices. I have Moore and Robinson and will select from them who I think is likely to score more based on home/away, class of opposition, individual match-ups, etc. One of them is likely to be captain on many weeks.

That being said, I am so far down the table this year that the only way forward is up. So, chances are that this strategy is seriously flawed.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Lets see if I can hold onto this Top 3 spot for the rest of the round! Gotta take the small victories when you're a few thousand points off the mark for the total table, hahah.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Four players down, one of them the captain, 228 points. If I keep this up, I will have... 729 points this round.

But like USARugger, my top spot will disappear :p

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
Not me! I am one of the really crazy people who have Moore in my starting 15 and Robinson on the bench. I am not doing very well though, I might add.
I have Moore as my captain almost every week, and have Robinson on the bench too. I'm doing alright. Sitting at 38 after 1 game this round. However I am pissed that I HAD George Smith in my team but dropped him for Sam Cane! I would have cracked the top 20 in the GAGR league if I kept him!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I'm pretty happy I kept Moore in my starting 15 this week. He is my regular skipper too, as he is reliable.

I was tempted to give George Smith a rest this week and bring Coetzee off the bench, pleased that I didn't though!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Look at how Alexander, Coetzee, Messam, Cruden, ect. have all fallen from last year. The only constant in fantasy is Stephen Moore. :p

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Messam has been disappointing, from a fantasy perspective. Coetzee is consistent, although his average is right down.

I have George Whitelock in my backrow, and even though he is in the dream team he is such a frustrating player. He will have an absolute cracker one week and then be mediocre the next. Check out his deviation if you are interested RoffsChoice, it is absolutely crazy.

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
Friday afternoon, Franks gets a Red flag.

Saturday afternoon, Franks starts.

This is getting rather annoying.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have Moore as my captain almost every week, and have Robinson on the bench too. I'm doing alright. Sitting at 38 after 1 game this round. However I am pissed that I HAD George Smith in my team but dropped him for Sam Cane! I would have cracked the top 20 in the GAGR league if I kept him!
I did the exact same thing!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apparently TJ Perenara and Grant Kemp just stood on the field for 80 minutes. No runs, no tackles, no errors, no linebreaks, no assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.