• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie Q & A - Top 10 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ask him if people get to carried away talking about individual players rather than what they bring to the team environment. What considerations actually go into player selections.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think this is a great opportunity to take potshots at Robbie Deans!

I hope that comment is tongue-in-cheek because that is the last thing we want to do and Ewan is far too smart anyway. We don't want to waste questions on issues he can't/won't answer.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I hope that comment is tongue-in-cheek because that is the last thing we want to do and Ewan is far too smart anyway. We don't want to waste questions on issues he can't/won't answer.

Nice delivery, even tone, subtle, I give it a bait rating of 6.5 Hawko.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't believe Link will be drawn into any comment on the Wallabies. He will stay well above the fray.

However, he has such an extensive knowledge of the world game from his time in France and the S15 that he knows the coaches, players, strategies and tactics.. everywhere.

So, I'd like to know what tricks (wrt personnel, strategies, tactics) he believes the opposition may have missed in this WC but can still inject at this critical stage to improved their game. For example, I'd ask the question "You have just been retained as a special rugby consultant to provide an overhaul/tweak for each of the top ranked opposition in the Qtrs (like a super charged Eddie Jones), what are your individual recommendations for the ABs, Boks, English, French, Welsh and Irish at this stage of the comp to justify your very high paying consultancy contract?"

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK guys, thanks for all the suggestions. We'll whittle them down and send them on. We'll need to be realistic though - some are more like thesis subjects than snappy questions....

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I would like to know his thoughts on how the salary cap is going to affect the Reds and other provinces and his thoughts of ARU taking over the academies and the fact that their are now only two. Will potential up and coming players leave to go to other codes? Especially having to leave home to be in either of the two cities - lets face it most have to work to survive, plus train and even study.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd be really curious to know what his views are on the involvement of the team's play makers in strategy creation. I've noticed that some players seem to be making better decisions (and give more on field leadership) at the provincial level than at test level. Do they need to "own" the strategy to execute it properly?

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Link, you grew up in Victoria, have played in NSW, and coached in NSW, overseas and QLD. In many sports Queenslanders punch well above their weight. Have you been able to identify that Queensland gene, the thing with Queenslanders that sets them apart from NSW and Victorians? Does it exist, or is it simply through hard work and dedication that makes the difference with Queenslanders?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Some of the questions about rookie contracts (now EPS) are out of date now so disregard some of the items asked before.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Link, you grew up in Victoria, have played in NSW, and coached in NSW, overseas and QLD. In many sports Queenslanders punch well above their weight. Have you been able to identify that Queensland gene, the thing with Queenslanders that sets them apart from NSW and Victorians? Does it exist, or is it simply through hard work and dedication that makes the difference with Queenslanders?

Answer: sunshine and more sunshine...

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)

Answer: sunshine and more sunshine...

So why did the Irish beat us? :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
At the international and Super level, careers, mortgages and livelihoods are on the line each time players take the field. Can anything be done to make the game safer and reduce the injury count?

Is there too much footy being played by professional players?

Should contracted players be made to play more club games in Shute Shield, Dent Cup and Brisbane Premiers?

Are fans too obsessive?

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Dear Link,

You're a professional coach. Do you find the relentless, one-eyed, BS, provincial attitudes incredibly boring?

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
Rugby Coaching is now a legitimate professional career. As you go from one position to another, do you take your secret moves and calls with you, or do you develop new ones with each job?

Follow on: When you come up against a team you have recently coached, do you study the videos to see if they are still using your old calls and moves, and prepare counters to those?

C

chriscullen

What gave you more satisfaction, winning the 1991 cup as a player or coaching the reds to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.