• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie Q & A - Top 10 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
When the Reds come to Sydney for the waratahs game, could you have an open training run in Western sydney, say Parramatta, Blacktown, or Prairewood?

And could you invite local school rugby teams to meet the Reds players? And maybe do some coaching of these school kids?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does it get frustrating watching a Reds scrum and not being able to pull a jersey on and help them?

Maybe reword so he doesn't get offended, but you get the point :p

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Please ask him about the contract situation.

Was The Daily Telegraph correct in March this year when it reported there will be a $4.4 million salary cap at Super Rugby level next year, which will then be cut back to $4.1 million from 2013 - and the money must be spread between 30 members of a "core playing squad" and five players on rookie contracts.

Within that question ask him if it is a minimum of 3 and a maximum or 5 as it was in the old days, or does it have to be 5? Also - what disqualifies a player from being deemed a rookie? Does any play the previous year, even for a few minutes, disqualify a player?

And what about if there are 3 prop injuries, for example, and the rookies are not developed enough to play in a game yet. If the Tahs wanted to hire a hard head from the Sydney comp be cherry picked into the team in such an emergency does this have to be counted under the cap - or does the team get dispensation?

While I'm on a roll - what about what we used to call the professional academy whose salaries used to be funded by the ARU. Are they now subject to the new academy system and subject to a draft? Or is it just the amateurs that the ARU is going to administer?

Since Link is a good bloke I'm sure he won't mind looking at the 3rd party payments mentioned in the Telegraph article and commenting if it is right:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/australian-super-15-clubs-will-soon-enter-into-new-salary-cap-era/story-e6frey4i-1226030366024

How many question is that? Probably over the cap, I'm thinking.

Please lets ask these questions first. It is the only known way we might get an answer. Perhaps it could be asked in one question, for example "How is the new salary cap/player squads/academy squads going to work IN DETAIL? What has the ARU told you will be the rules?

PS. Don't ask any questions about the Australian coaching position, he can't answer any of them without causing huge problems and he is smarter than that.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Assuming the Wallabies were to make it to the WC final, assuming no injuries, name your starting 15 & the bench, with comments as approapriate.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How did you turn the Reds around from cellar dwellers to Super Champions?

In the course of your job, do you have occassion to speak with Robbie Deans? Do you ever have any idea what the fuck he is on about?

Who were your best (either playing or drinking) team mates?

Who were your best opponents?

Which players would you bring to the Reds if you could?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Why would Robbie Deans have only used his bench wih 6 minutes to go versus Ireland?

What could the Wallabies have done to alter their playing style against Ireland to twist the momentum back in their favour?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You signed a boy (Chris F'Sautia) who is still not finished school to a full-time contract as part of the Reds 30-man squad, do you expect he will be one to watch in 2012?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think we should be asking Ewen about wallaby selections and or the use of the wallaby bench.

Agreed, he's the Reds coach and unlikely to jeopardise future job opportunities by speculating about the wallabies. He's obviously doing this for general rugby questions/Reds insight.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
What does he see as potential weaknesses in the AB side and how would he exploit them to our favor heading into a potential semi-final showdown?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My 2 Questions for the mastermind behind QLD Reds success, let's settle this for once and for all:

You have one million dollars to spend recruiting for the QLD Reds 2012 campaign, unfortunately you only have two players to decide between: Pat McCabe or Rob Horne, who do you pick and why?

Who would you pick as your #7 in a World Dream Team and why?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How does he plan to get the balance right with beau Robinson and Liam gill as Gill begins to push for a starting spot? Does he think a tough decision will need to be made in the next couple of years?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think we should be asking Ewen about wallaby selections and or the use of the wallaby bench.
I agree

If you were coaching a team that wore gold uniforms against a team who wore green, what reasons would you give for only using your bench wih 6 minutes to go Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.