• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie Q & A - Top 10 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tell us about crowds at the game, particularly home crowds. How important is the home ground support you guys have been getting?

Read once that you take into account how entertained the crowd has been during a game, and factor that into your game plan, is that true?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This year at the start of the Super Series you (and your Coaching Team) selected Horwill at 6 as part of a different looking backrow. After a couple of weeks you reverted back to a "traditional" (more Modern IMO) backrow of Higgers 6, Samo 8 and Robo 7.

At the RWC much has been made of the ongoing selection McCalman at 7.

My question is this, with the changes to the breakdown do you see a change in the backrow skill sets in 6 7 and 8 and how they work together as a unit/individually?

Your selections in the first couple of weeks indicated that you had seen a change in the games dynamic with the "new" interpretations at the breakdown, but you then reverted to a more accepted backrow model. What was the thinking behind that? Is this also a reason why the bigger, more abbrasive (in some people's thinking) Robinson got the nod ahead of more "traditional" 7 type players even though he wasn't orginally in the squad?

I say "traditionally" and "new" as I see the player types and composition of the back row reverting to a similar balance to the true traditional structure such as the NSW and Australian teams you played in in the early 90s and the breakdown interpretations reverting back to what they were before Kronfeld and Smith came along. Your views?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorry guys, should have mentioned this earlier but a selection of ten amazing questions has been fired off to Link and he is doing his utmost to wade through and answer them as we speak.

Look out on the blog page soon.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Any chance of putting the questions up so we can have a crack at answering them? Could be amusing reading the mob's blather.

M

max11247

I was watching some '91 rwc footage and it seems like scrums were packed down more quickly (you props didn't even have time to catch your breath before you had your head in the scrum), more emphasis on propping technique, scrums did not collapse as readily, and it was a lot less incumbent on refs to police the contest.

What do you think of current scrummaging, and specifically the scrum engagement procedure as compared to say 20 years ago?

Edit: just realised that the 10 questions have been sent off already. Apologies for tardiness.

M

max11247

Thanks Hugh...and thanks for posting it as a question in that thread.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Great idea and great article, guys. I expect to see it plagiarized soon in my local media outlet.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
My old boy went to a dinner last night and Ewin was one of the guest speakers, a few questions were fired at him. I haven't heard all the feed back. But what I was told about the night, he spoke well and the his answer opened the eyes of the guest and there thoughts on the the Reds,Cooper....
1 question to him was what happen to Cooper in the World cup?... He said nothing, but Cooper plays a lot better with the support around, which he didn't get with the wallabies as he has had with the Reds this year.
2nd question what make a good team?, every one of my players get on the field, if they don't get a run they get game time the next week... He does not wont disgruntle players sitting on the bench week in week out, its not good for the team or the players.
Deans should take note there...

Also mentioned, that he had 4 option through out this season if Cooper did get injured, and in liking the talent coming through..
QLD Rugby is coming back

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I think we White, McKenzie, Foley, Hill and Graham we're seeing very professional coaches at Australian Super 15. Next few years will be great of Australia Rugby. Glad Ewen has a year or two left at the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.