• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie - Life after the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
and that would be a good move while jake white continues to coach, and coach well, with the brumbies.

if they both are still gunning for the wallabies job - i think in that instance Jake would have the edge.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But Jake took almost 4 years off. It didn't seem to effect him. I would argue it probably made him a better coach.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, and a bit of good work in the media doesn't harm your chances. He already writes very thoughtful pieces about professional rugby in general - imagine how people would feel if he had another two years of politely but incisively critiquing Robbie's coaching on Fox or in the papers?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He wouldn't get a gig on Fox. None of the others would understand him. He actually makes sense. Also can't see him being involved with the "Cannonball" segment.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
He wouldn't get a gig on Fox. None of the others would understand him. He actually makes sense. Also can't see him being involved with the "Cannonball" segment.

I really value that Cannonball segment. It's like a bucket of cold water being thrown in my face to remind me that watching any footy show, including rugby HQ, is a complete waste of time.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Any more "news" on Link and the irish job. I read on another forum that Link's odds with an Irish bookie tightened to 1/4 which would make him a prohibitive favorite. It is the more interesting since everyone in rugby/media circles appears to have no information and anyone that has gone on record appears to want Joe Schmidt for the job after his success at Leinster.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Any more "news" on Link and the irish job. I read on another forum that Link's odds with an Irish bookie tightened to 1/4 which would make him a prohibitive favorite. It is the more interesting since everyone in rugby/media circles appears to have no information and anyone that has gone on record appears to want Joe Schmidt for the job after his success at Leinster.

Don't forget Kiss is going to be campaigning pretty strongly internally to try and get the job

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really value that Cannonball segment. It's like a bucket of cold water being thrown in my face to remind me that watching any footy show, including rugby HQ, is a complete waste of time.

Another way to improve it would be that Canno gets a pie in the face the following week if his selection the week before was wrong.

No one would be complaining if Canno was getting cannonballed.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Reading the Irish Sunday papers it seemed the IRFU were still deciding whether to sack Kidney or not until after the Italy game, and shockingly enough had no plan in place if they did. Kidney was apparently let go last Wednesday and they are going to appoint Kiss to look after the summer tour and then look for a permanent manager in the time being. This gives McKenzie time to stall on signing anything until after the Lions series, if the Wallabies win he takes the Ireland job as Dingo probably will get an extension, if the Lions win he waits it out for the Wallabies job.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Another way to improve it would be that Canno gets a pie in the face the following week if his selection the week before was wrong.

No one would be complaining if Canno was getting cannonballed.
Just stick his head in the bucket of custard - I defy even Canno to talk through that. A win on 2 fronts.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I know there's been speculation about it but here it is from his own lips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22022351

Queensland Reds coach Ewen McKenzie interested in Ireland job

Queensland Reds coach Ewen McKenzie has confirmed he would be interested in becoming the new Ireland boss, following Declan Kidney's departure.

Kidney left his post on Tuesday when the Irish Rugby Football Union decided not to offer him a new deal.

McKenzie has been linked with the Ireland role since announcing he would step down as Queensland coach at the end of the current Super Rugby season.
But Harlequins director of rugby Conor O'Shea said he was not a contender.

And Saracens chief executive Edward Griffiths has dismissed any prospect that Mark McCall, a former Ulster coach, could be in the frame.
Kidney led Ireland to the Grand Slam in 2009 but departed after a poor 2013 Six Nations campaign.

Ireland lost to England, Scotland and Italy to finish fifth and have also dropped to their lowest ever world ranking of ninth.

Former Australia prop McKenzie has a stated desire to coach the Wallabies - but he also recognises his chance to work in Test rugby may have to come elsewhere.

McKenzie told Sydney's Daily Telegraph he had not been in contact with the Irish Rugby Football Union - but he also left the organisation in no doubt he would be interested in a conversation.

"I have said I am looking for coaching challenges at the next level and I am looking for whatever the possibilities are," said McKenzie.

"It is the type of job I am interested in looking at, but there have been no discussions.

"I have stated I would like the Wallabies job but it's all in the timing. You have to look around what's available when you're looking for a job.

"I have made it clear the challenge of coaching at that level is what interests me but there are not many opportunities at Test level and you can't control the timing."

Former Ireland full-back O'Shea insisted that even the lure of coaching his country was not enough to turn his back on a project at Harlequins he believes still has a long way to run.

"I am going nowhere. My contract is here [until the summer of 2014], I love it here and hopefully I will be here for a long time to come," O'Shea said.

Joel Schmidt is a strong contender for the post having guided Leinster to back-to-back Heineken Cup triumphs with one of the most scintillating attacking teams in Europe.

The New Zealander has one more year on his current Leinster deal, having signed an extension last September.

Les Kiss, Ireland's defence coach who worked with McKenzie at the NSW Waratahs, will step up to be interim Ireland head coach for the summer Tests against the United States in Houston on 8 June and Canada in Toronto a week later.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
"I have made it clear the challenge of coaching at that level is what interests me but there are not many opportunities at Test level and you can't control the timing."

This bit suggests that the IRFU need to get on the phone to him ASAP. He isn't prepared to turn down a job to wait and see how the Lions series and Robbie Deans' future pan out. He was paying a $1.50 last night in the lastest odds to be the next Irish coach.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Why does it seem like the ARU are willing to let this man leave the country? He has to be our most successful coach ever.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Why does it seem like the ARU are willing to let this man leave the country? He has to be our most successful coach ever.

They can't really offer him much to stay, if Deans wins a Lions series and a Bledisloe they can hardly sack him, and I doubt that they've already made a decision regarding his future regardless of this years results. If McKenzie decides to stay, turning down any job offers from Ireland/Scotland, he is effectively taking a punt on the Lions, SA and the All Blacks all beating the Wobs this season. Now I can't see the Wallabies winning in NZ but I can see them (subject to key players fitness) beating the Lions 3-0, beating BNZ & SA at home and having an unbeaten NH tour that would in my opinion be enough to keep Deans on.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd say Sully that both parties (Link & the ARU) are playing the ol' bluff and double bluff game. Just what we want really. After all, it's only the Wallabies!

T

TOCC

How long does RD really have left? He is already one of the longest serving wallaby coaches, he surely recognises that he might only have 2 years left at best....

The ARU would be idiots to let Ewen slip away and then in 12months time start a search for a new national coach.

The ARU and RD need to really establish what it is they both intend to do, if RD plans to move on or the ARU intend to change the coaching staff then they need to establish that early/soon and come up with a plan to bring Ewen into the frame.

As a country we have extremely limited expertise in the coaching department, they should be doing everything to retain what local knowledge we do have.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What's happening with Nucifora's job?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How long does RD really have left? He is already one of the longest serving wallaby coaches, he surely recognises that he might only have 2 years left at best..

The ARU would be idiots to let Ewen slip away and then in 12months time start a search for a new national coach.

The ARU and RD need to really establish what it is they both intend to do, if RD plans to move on or the ARU intend to change the coaching staff then they need to establish that early/soon and come up with a plan to bring Ewen into the frame.

As a country we have extremely limited expertise in the coaching department, they should be doing everything to retain what local knowledge we do have.

Clearly the massive mistake was re-signing him prior to the 2011 RWC. That was mind-blowingly stupid. Since then, he's done enough. 3rd at the RWC, 2nd in TRC, 3 out of 4 on the EOYT were never going to be reasons to sack him.

I imagine they could pull the trigger and fire him if we lost 3-0 against the Lions but I'd imagine he'd keep his job through the Rugby Championship with a 2-1 loss.

A terrible Rugby Championship and he could face the chop. Otherwise I think he will keep the job for 2014 with a reasonable showing through this year (i.e. similar to last year). If he's the coach at the start of 2014 then I'd imagine he'll be our coach right through to the end of the 2015 RWC when I think his time will end regardless of what happens.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I wonder, why can't the ARU adopt the QRU's approach and "promote" Deans to be the Director of Rugby of the Wallabies with Link becoming the "Head Coach". Have the proviso that Link gets the top gig if Robbie fails/contract runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.