• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Who will be our next world class 10? It strikes me that our fortunes are strongly linked to a class 10 at the top of his game. Foley and Cooper, were not necessarily on the top of the list. Recent history lists Foley, To'omua, Lealifano?, Cooper, Beale? none of whom generate much confidence. Is there anyone floating around NRC that could be elevated? Kyle Godwin a hope?
Unfortunately quality tens are also very valuable to NRL. The Eels just signed schoolboy rugby star Blaise Barnes. I don't know if we'll ever hold onto our best tens until the Wallabies start winning and we won't win without a quality 10.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
team won't be announced until tomorrow now apparently.

Since when has Check ever run to schedule?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately quality tens are also very valuable to NRL. The Eels just signed schoolboy rugby star Blaise Barnes. I don't know if we'll ever hold onto our best tens until the Wallabies start winning and we won't win without a quality 10.

Apparently Papworth was looking to sign Blaise Barnes for Eastwood with the promise of what he quoted was the opportunity to participate in the "leading second tier rugby competition" as an excellent pathway to being a Wallaby by his 25th Birthday. He also offered him a full time cleaner role at Eastwood to help pay his way whilst he plays club rugby for Eastwood until that happens.

Papworth is naturally still in shock with Barnes decision to turn his back on such a lucrative offer put to him by one of Rugby's most prestigious rugby clubs that he is at this point unavailable for any comments. However, we understand he is busily preparing a full response via another letter to the ARU on this matter.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Is this a gee up? Star? He just has an agent with a very good PR network.
Well he's on the main page of smh.com.au he's had several articles about him all year but didn't play aus schoolboys due to injury. I've no doubt you'd know better, I just know what I've read about him.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
For mine the only 10 to really shine in the NRC was Lance. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the EOYT, however he's only a year younger than Foley, and has yet to really establish a fulltime position at Super level, so I would need to see the evidence that he's our saviour at 10.

As has been said before, neither Foley nor Cooper are really the full package. I have always thought that Cooper had the more ability but it's a long time since we've seen evidence of it. Foley can be pretty good in attack, as he was on Saturday, he also makes some good last ditch tackles, although misses too many in the line, but his weak kicking game is the big drawback. Bernie (Larkham that is) was really the last top level 10 we've had.

Slow Lock

Frank Row (1)
Where is all the new blood on tour. Why are we carrying members who are near there use by date, TPN (Great player) - is he going OS or not, where is a young hooker ready to tour.
Due respect to Jono Lance but he is injury prone. I would rather see Folau moved into the centres with DHP playing his regular spot at 15. Then carry Koribete. Folau 13 and Hodge 12 that means Folau has to work and earn his pay and he is excellent one on one.
Also we continue with skelton and simmons - did we not find several locks in the NRC ready for a chance.
They should be looking at taking at least 4-5 new players.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Where is all the new blood on tour squad. Why are we carrying members who are near there use by date, TPN (Great player) - is he going OS or not, where is a young hooker ready to tour.
Due respect to Jono Lance but he is injury prone. I would rather see Folau moved into the centres with DHP playing his regular spot at 15. Then carry Koribete. Folau 13 and Hodge 12 that means Folau has to work and earn his pay and he is excellent one on one.
Also we continue with skelton and simmons - did we not find several locks in the NRC ready for a chance.
They should be looking at taking at least 4-5 new players.

FTFY ;)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well he's on the main page of smh.com.au he's had several articles about him all year but didn't play aus schoolboys due to injury. I've no doubt you'd know better, I just know what I've read about him.
I don't know him but back in June there was a run of a similar number of articles spruiking his skills interestingly they all quoted his manager and the agency he worked for. I'm just a bit dubious about it all, but wish him well.
Anyway wrong thread for me to bring this up.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am sure that TPN is signed for o/s next year. On that basis, I'd prefer to see Talu Latu take his spot.

Almost similarly with Poey. I think because he off on a sabbatical, he should be used just as backup on this tour.

I am also hoping for three or four new faces to make the tour for development purposes. Will be a missed opportunity otherwise. Those I'd consider are, Louwrens or Gordon for one of the No 9 spots, RHP as a No 6 in place of Mumm, and Simone as a No 12 in waiting. Such a pity that Holloway will miss the opportunity. Kellaway could also be a development candidate.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

As far as statements come and go, Simmons made a pretty fucking big one in Auckland. I'd give him another crack at a starting position after that cameo. But one swallow doesn't make a summer. Skelton should have been cut a year ago. I feel like he is going to become the next Wycliff Palu.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am sure that TPN is signed for o/s next year. On that basis, I'd prefer to see Talu Latu take his spot.

Almost similarly with Poey. I think because he off on a sabbatical, he should be used just as backup on this tour.

I am also hoping for three or four new faces to make the tour for development purposes. Will be a missed opportunity otherwise. Those I'd consider are, Louwrens or Gordon for one of the No 9 spots, RHP as a No 6 in place of Mumm, and Simone as a No 12 in waiting. Such a pity that Holloway will miss the opportunity. Kellaway could also be a development candidate.
Herald reporting Dempsey and the storm winger as tour bolters.
If we had any depth someone would be more than entitled to be pissed off with the latter - we could finish p with an entire backline of wingers.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Herald reporting Dempsey and the storm winger as tour bolters.
If we had any depth someone would be more than entitled to be pissed off with the latter - we could finish p with an entire backline of wingers.
The Oz reiterates Koroibete and Dempsey will be in the squad along with Perese and Tongan Thor. Kerevi is out for the whole tour.

As a side note Slim, the Oz is also saying it's a 35 man squad!

Edit: TT is not eligible to play for Aus till next year so presumably if he tours it will be as an 'apprentice'. Dempsey and Perese and TT are all termed development players so none of them may necessarily get game time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Oz reiterates Koroibete and Dempsey will be in the squad along with Perese and Tongan Thor. Kerevi is out for the whole tour.

As a side note Slim, the Oz is also saying it's a 35 man squad!

Edit: TT is not eligible to play for Aus till next year so presumably if he tours it will be as an 'apprentice'. Dempsey and Perese and TT are all termed development players so none of them may necessarily get game time.
Surprised about dempsey if true as good but that much of a stand out I am not so sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Surprised about dempsey if true as good but that much of a stand out I am not so sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a move to groom him for 6 once Mumm and Fardy move into retirement homes. I don't reckon he's big enough though, he's just shy of 6'4" and 108kg. Compare that to Mumm and Fardy who are 6'6" and 6'7" respectively. Probably depends on the attributes of the #8 at the time of his proposed selection, and to a lesser extent the #7 but you'd think that Hooper, Pocock and McMahon have that covered at least until the next RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.