• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Lock

Frank Row (1)
If you need a couple of bolters then you cannot go past young Hardwick and Billy Meakes from the Force.
Hardwick MOM in the NRC final - with Pocock going on holidays or playing lock you need another good 7 and he fits the bill.
Meakes played 13 and did a great defensive job and gets involved - he doesn't seagull like the rest of them.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Watching that game Hodge was wasted at 12. He ran some good lines and every time he did Phipps changed direction of the play, Phipps had a good game but Hodge just seems to be used for defense and rucking at the moment.

Maybe the 10, whether it be Quade or Foley, are reluctant to give the ball to Hodge hot on attack - or if their are multiple options he is the least preferred given he hasn't really shown anything on attack when given the ball previously.

So I don't think you can blame Foley on that. Especially if he's choosing to give it to an alternaive in Folau, Kerevi or DHP instead (which I support as the better attacking option).

Hodge needs to do more in his limited attacking opportunities and that will then lead to more ball.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd like to see Hodge at 15, but the current centre injuries and the fact we looked better without the Foley-Quade combo means that won't happen, and fair enough.

Those talking about England and Kruis/Itoje's injuries need to realise that England have about 5 starting test-quality second rowers. Their depth is amazing.

Joe Launchbury is still around, Matt Symons can't even get a look in and he captained the Cheifs at their best, and even Courtney Lawes is hugely physical.

England's real weakness is the back row, with Haskell out Itoje was meant to play flank but with him out too they have Teimana Harrison, who doesn't look like a test footballer for mine. Then again, Nathan Hughes just qualified but I don't think he balances well with Vunipola.
I would rather see dhp at fullback before hodge as why not put one of the better performers in his actual super rugby and preferred position. Novel concept I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you need a couple of bolters then you cannot go past young Hardwick and Billy Meakes from the Force.
Hardwick MOM in the NRC final - with Pocock going on holidays or playing lock you need another good 7 and he fits the bill.
Meakes played 13 and did a great defensive job and gets involved - he doesn't seagull like the rest of them.

I don't think we need bolters by any means.

Meakes would be closest to consideration, with much dependent on Kerevi's injury I guess.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would rather see dhp at fullback before hodge as why not put one of the better performers in his actual super rugby and preferred position. Novel concept I know

What a crazy notion !:)

You mean pick blokes in the same position as they play in super rugby

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Here is my squad. I have probably forgotten someone.

Moore
TPN
Hanson

Slipper
Sio
Kepu
Ala'alatoa
Robertson

Douglas
Simmons
Coleman
Arnold
Skelton

Hooper
Pocock
Fardy
Mumm
Timani
McMahon
Houston

Phipps
Genia
Frisby

Cooper
Foley

Kerevi
Kuridrani
Hodge
Godwin
Lance

DHP
Folau
Speight
Naivalu
Morahan

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Here is my squad. I have probably forgotten someone.

Moore
TPN
Hanson

Slipper
Sio
Kepu
Ala'alatoa
Robertson

Douglas
Simmons
Coleman
Arnold
Skelton

Hooper
Pocock
Fardy
Mumm
Timani
McMahon
Houston

Phipps
Genia
Frisby

Cooper
Foley

Kerevi
Kuridrani
Hodge
Godwin
Lance

DHP
Folau
Speight
Naivalu
Morahan

That squad will be very close.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would rather see dhp at fullback before hodge as why not put one of the better performers in his actual super rugby and preferred position. Novel concept I know.

Yes, using someone played across a number of different positions in the Rebels, including Fullback, in a number of different positions in the Wallabies is crazy, isn't it?

I'm just pulling suggestions out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That squad would be dead on the money except I think Kerevi will be ruled out.

Maybe Godwin will be in for him.

Wish Skelton would stop being persisted with and that spot used for a developmental 6.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, using someone played across a number of different positions in the Rebels, including Fullback, in a number of different positions in the Wallabies is crazy, isn't it?

Didn't he play around 80% of his games at 12 though?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ok, I read that yesterday and I CBF trying to find the article again, but one of the media outlets is going to be wrong :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That squad would be dead on the money except I think Kerevi will be ruled out.

Maybe Godwin will be in for him.

Wish Skelton would stop being persisted with and that spot used for a developmental 6.

Seb
any idea how long Kerevi is out ?

Maybe he would join the tour after a week or 2

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seb
any idea how long Kerevi is out ?

Maybe he would join the tour after a week or 2

No idea I'm just guessing based on Cheika's comments. He stated at the air-port in his media interview it was is was a serious injury and there were concerns.

Maybe an extended squad will be named pending Kerevi's fitness.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The journos thought the squad announcement was happening at 3pm so maybe there's something on the injury front that is holding things up.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Who will be our next world class 10? It strikes me that our fortunes are strongly linked to a class 10 at the top of his game. Foley and Cooper, were not necessarily on the top of the list. Recent history lists Foley, To'omua, Lealifano?, Cooper, Beale? none of whom generate much confidence. Is there anyone floating around NRC that could be elevated? Kyle Godwin a hope?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No. Godwin is well and truly a 12 now. He was never a particularly good 10 either.

The development of young players like Nick Jooste, Mack Mason and perhaps Andrew Deegan over the next couple of years will be interesting but at this point they're a long way off being decent Super Rugby options, let alone test players.

I think Foley and Cooper will remain our best two options for several years to come.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Nah mate not having a go at you - we all have our own wish list of things we would like to see - dhp at fullback is one of them. Mind you Folau had a great game at fullback last game so we might all be waiting for other options at fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.