• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

End of Year Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon we should try a hooper, pocock and palu back row..Hoopers runnign game would work at 6..only problem is lineout

I think the 4 or 5 man lineout is underrated in the international game. I mean sure, we'd be weak as a defensive lineout but I'd argue we're not that good already.

Even for a 7 man we don't have to have 3 terrific jumpers, just two and another person that CAN jump. Palu is a decent 2 jumper because of his bulk.

I REALLY think Hooper at 6 is the best option, you just have to think laterally at lineout time.

T

TOCC

Australia really doesn't have a very good line-out at the moment, I think it would be doing a disservice to reduce our jumping options further, especially against some of the NH teams who excel in this area.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Australia really doesn't have a very good line-out at the moment, I think it would be doing a disservice to reduce our jumping options further, especially against some of the NH teams who excel in this area.

I think we need to experiment with using a 4 or 5 man as our go to option in a test match. When I see this fail before my eyes I'll agree with you.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
what exactly does Ben Mowen have to do to get a run? You'd think he'd be a certainty with Higgers out for the tour.

T

TOCC

I think we need to experiment with using a 4 or 5 man as our go to option in a test match. When I see this fail before my eyes I'll agree with you.
The Wallabies have been using short lineout options all rugby championship, the byproduct is that it removes a very good opportunity for the backs to run at their opponents 1v1 because their are forwards clogging the defence..

Removing an attacking opportunity is a failure...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
what exactly does Ben Mowen have to do to get a run? You'd think he'd be a certainty with Higgers out for the tour.

Funny how people are all over Ben Mowen now that he plays for the Brumbies and not the Waratahs

W

Waylon

The Wallabies have been using short lineout options all rugby championship, the byproduct is that it removes a very good opportunity for the backs to run at their opponents 1v1 because their are forwards clogging the defence..

Removing an attacking opportunity is a failure.

A skillfully executed 2 man lineout can win you possession, have you steal 10 easy metres, flood the breakdown or pick and go a few times building fast mometum and sucking those forwards back in before unleashing a backline with front foot ball at a retreating defensive line

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
3 openside flankers, a northern hemisphere tour and a sharpshooter like Harris.

The benefit to having a kicker like Harris and a long kicker like Beale is that teams will be less willing to push the boundaries at the ruck.. I think Australia has missed that in recent years..
Harris: the bloke you didn't want picked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I seriously think any side could have both Pocock and Hooper if a) you focus on short lineouts and b) you run any full arm inside your attacking 1/3.

BRING BACK SOME CREATIVE TAP MOVES! Because? WHY NOT?!

Removing an attacking opportunity is a failure.

You don't need to see a lineout set move as a 1 phase affair. I've seen some good 2-3 phase moves run off a 4/5 man lineout and I've seen some shockers off a 7 man.

I think it just depends on the team and how well the coaches on both sides work the situation.

A skillfully executed 2 man lineout can win you possession, have you steal 10 easy metres, flood the breakdown or pick and go a few times building fast mometum and sucking those forwards back in before unleashing a backline with front foot ball at a retreating defensive line

That's exactly right. Though, a 2-man lineout would be a once in a game kind of thing.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Probably, fp. If you had to pick one openside as the one to leave behind it'd be down to Gill. There is an argument that Pocock should be given more time out but that ain't Deans' way.

W

Waylon

I seriously think any side could have both Pocock and Hooper if a) you focus on short lineouts and b) you run any full arm inside your attacking 1/3.

BRING BACK SOME CREATIVE TAP MOVES! Because? WHY NOT?!

You don't need to see a lineout set move as a 1 phase affair. I've seen some good 2-3 phase moves run off a 4/5 man lineout and I've seen some shockers off a 7 man.

I think it just depends on the team and how well the coaches on both sides work the situation.

That's exactly right. Though, a 2-man lineout would be a once in a game kind of thing.

There is so many variations that you can run a two man lineout and have a different strategy at each lineout.........and if you do it right, you can't lose the ball. It is only limited by your imagination...........which is where modern day rugby players/coaches seem to struggle

T

TOCC

Funny how people are all over Ben Mowen now that he plays for the Brumbies and not the Waratahs

I think it has more to do with his superior form he displayed in 2012 rather then the color of the jersey he was wearing..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it has more to do with his superior form he displayed in 2012 rather then the color of the jersey he was wearing..

His form was solid, not superior, as it was with the Tahs.

He is an excellent lineout unit, but doesn't dominate the breakdown, advantage line or the defensive line. There are better options selected

T

TOCC

His form was solid, not superior, as it was with the Tahs.

He is an excellent lineout unit, but doesn't dominate the breakdown, advantage line or the defensive line. There are better options selected

We will have to agree to disagree that he didn't have better form in 2012 then he did in 2011...

I wasn't advocating that he be selected, just pointing out a plausible reason as to why people want him selected which isn't related to state bias..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Perceived to have superior form due to the colour of his jersey. A player like him doesn't really add more to his game in a year, gone about his business much the same. The only thing you could really say is he's shown leadership but since we're not picking a captain it ain't worth anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.