• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fundamentally, the RFU and FFR have come out and said they're happy to do Six Nations Part 2 instead of the June and November windows.

Lucky for you blokes the Pro12 and Premiership are talking about deferring the season to align the end of the British Rugby Seasons and Super Rugby.

The last I had read was a statement from the Chair of the 6Ns saying that they had no intentions of altering its window.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
The last I had read was a statement from the Chair of the 6Ns saying that they had no intentions of altering its window.
6 Nations yes.

RFU and the Pro12 Unions were saying that after the World Cup, they'd potentially push the club season back ~4 weeks to get the Super Rugby and British Seasons finishing at the same time, for a window with better flow.

The counterpoint to that of course was that Outbound tours in years after World Cups would be at the discretion of the Union rather than standard as is now as to try and stop 12 full momths of Rugby for the Internationals.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ok, ill explain one last time. The amount spent on Corporate in the report is what the ARU spent to run it's own office, not the offices of the super rugby clubs. The figures are all reported separately. The figures to run the Wallabies, player payments etc are separated. I understand fully the concept of economies of scale. This is a red herring.

The fact no one seems to be able to dispute is the ARU are paying more per $100 to run its own offices (this is a separated, reported expense, nothing to do with any other expenditure) than their competitors.

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare the ARU's financials to those of an AFL team rather than the overall competition?

Whilst the Wallaby team costs and player payments are itemised separately, the Corporate expenditure involves a lot of costs and employees that directly relate to the Wallabies and working to maximise their success and revenue generating capability.

I am not saying that the ARU doesn't spend more than they should in certain areas (we simply don't have the information at hand to analyse that). It is true though that they have substantially cut their overheads and head count in recent years to bring them to a more manageable level.

N

NTT

Last thing ill say about this.

All i am curious about is, is the ARU running as efficiently and effectively as it possibly can? Are there any ways in which we can restructure to open up finances to fund more grassroots and more NRC? Are there duplicated roles across the 6 businesses that could be roled into one to produce savings? Is institutionalised and protectionist thinking preventing progress?

For years the ARU has run on the smell of an oily rag whilst being hamstrung by not only inconsistent revenue and income, but by state based factions only concerned about whats best for their state. Can we not actually work together for a better outcome for all stakeholders, not just whats best for NSW and Qld and fuck the rest?

It is afterall a $100 million dollar a year business. Are we sure every dollar is being used the best it can without relying on an ARU statement saying 'We're doing the best we can, trust us' without actually looking closer at the situation?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Meh.

Teams like the Lions, Wasps, Glasgow and Connacht play high quality attacking styles in the very conservative British/South African style of play/leagues.

Within 2 tries either way is still a crapshoot as to who wins Any more than that and you still don't win, well then, your discipline doesn't deserve to win the game.

Happy for it to happen, but it's pretty far down the priority line.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
FT article highlights the problem over the decades where rules to encourage quick open play result in more infringements and hence penalties and less tries as stats show.

Good article for some stats

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Completely miss the point on what most of surveys / research saying which is people want to see tries first and foremost - not penalties.

The masses would rather see two tries each then a game of 4 penalties each.

I think you are so wrong as for rugby diehards may not be a priority but for growing the game and attracting fans it is very much a priority.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Completely miss the point on what most of surveys / research saying which is people want to see tries first and foremost - not penalties.

The masses would rather see two tries each then a game of 4 penalties each.

I think you are so wrong as for rugby diehards may not be a priority but for growing the game and attracting fans it is very much a priority.
Should do the reverse then - make penalty goals worth more, so that teams aren't happy to give away infringements from kickable distances and would rather allow the try

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can defiantly see the benefits but are we rescheduling the tests against NH teams to somewhere else in the calendar?

The England matches had 120,000 spectators and well over 2m viewers. There's several million downsides to Oz Rugby to consider there...

I previously suggested the the NH and SH test windows run consecutively.

i.e. NH teams would visit in October and SH teams would head north in November as is presently the case. Tests could be played on a home and away basis and give some continuity to the NH/SH internationals. TRC and 6N to be run at times sutiable to the participants.

RWC years the tours are wiped completely as now. The only outrider would be BIL tours.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Should do the reverse then - make penalty goals worth more, so that teams aren't happy to give away infringements from kickable distances and would rather allow the try

More use of cards by referees is needed plus the introduction of a 5 minute sin bin.

Repeated infringements by defending team in 22 (offside, off feet, side entry etc., basically all the negative ones) - 3 strikes and on the 3rd infringement it's a green card (5 minute sin bin), next infringement is a yellow card (10 minute sin bin). Penalty shots from cards are restarted by a scrum on the penalty mark with the non-offending team to feed. Watch cynical infringements almost disappear overnight.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes introduction of 5 minute sin bin raised as solution back in 2010-11 when their was the usual wave of outcries by leading figures for change in points system.

I probably think the 10 minute sin bin still suffices for repeat offences and given impact has on the team in question would see repeated infringements / cynical play stamped out with out changing flow of attacking rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Strewthcobber

If not going to reduce penalties to two points sooner rather than later I then very much like your idea to actually increase how many points penalties compared to tries are. As would enable rather than see rugby die a slow painful death in this country to have a much quicker death and put it out of its misery.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This bit in FT article was what I found most interesting (note based on European data but sends same message) that 60 years ago has an average of 1.3 penalties kicked per match where now have an average of 5.3 penalties kicked per match! A four fold increase in 60 years.

===========================
Legislation aimed at opening the game has created an ever-expanding rule book and range of penalty offences. The 1970s, fondly remembered as the first great modern era of running rugby, was also the first decade in which there were more penalties than tries.

In the 1950s an average of 1.3 penalties was kicked per match. This number has continued to climb while try-scoring has receded in the current decade, with 5.3 penalties kicked — four times as many as 60 years ago — and 3.4 tries scored in each match, the greatest ever disparity in favour of the boot.